Shipping wine???

Shipping wine???

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 4:49 pm
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping wine???

Hi all

Anyone shipped any wine or spirits to Australia?

Hubby wants to bring his wine collection and couple of bottles of spirits (gifts) and shippers coming Friday. Need to make the final decision - do they stay or do they go.

I know they are subject to import duty and gst - just wondered what sort of money we are looking at. Shippers are a bit vague when I ask.

Can anyone help?

Tks
T x
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping wine???

Originally Posted by T&P
Hi all

Anyone shipped any wine or spirits to Australia?

Hubby wants to bring his wine collection and couple of bottles of spirits (gifts) and shippers coming Friday. Need to make the final decision - do they stay or do they go.

I know they are subject to import duty and gst - just wondered what sort of money we are looking at. Shippers are a bit vague when I ask.

Can anyone help?

Tks
T x
You also have to provide details of where, when bought and price of each individual bottle. We are giving all ours away as it's just too much hassle.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:52 pm
Go Banana's !!

I packed mine with Crown. Only one form to fill and and I roughly priced them up with the volume. Very simple. I am aware I will have to pay some form of duty at the other end (no idea how much) but there was too much to give away as I had collected it over the years.

Good luck with the packers

Warren

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:35 pm
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

Thankyou!

Hubby is really into his wine and again - has collected some of it over the years. We were worried about charges but I just said to him, it is your collection and it means a lot - bring it.

Guess we will face the charges in due course.

Did manage to get out of the shippers that we would be looking at duty of between $4 and $8 per bottle - so not too bad considering what some of the wines are worth. Don't know what other charges get put on top of that though.

Thanks again
T x
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:01 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T&P
Thankyou!

Hubby is really into his wine and again - has collected some of it over the years. We were worried about charges but I just said to him, it is your collection and it means a lot - bring it.

Guess we will face the charges in due course.

Did manage to get out of the shippers that we would be looking at duty of between $4 and $8 per bottle - so not too bad considering what some of the wines are worth. Don't know what other charges get put on top of that though.

Thanks again
T x
My shipper packed them and logged them as "fragile ornaments" along with some boxes of other fragile ornaments! They did this beacuse they told me if they were labelled "wine/spirits" they are likley to go missing en route.
Who am I to argue? If I get away with that, there will be no duty to pay as it is door to door delivery.
Maybe ask your shipper to do the same.
Disadvantage would be tryong to male any insurance claims for breakages or loss if they actually do go missing. My shipment leaves (Ireland) on Monday.

Andrew
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:37 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Found this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207209 (copied below). Sounds as if it could end up being quite expensive...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Originally Posted by Michael Hoffman on February 2nd 2004

To those interested, I received a reply from Aussie customs on the importation of a wine collection:

"Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email.

There is no concession available for migrants wanting to import their wine
collections.

The import rates are 5% customs duty, 10% GST and 29% Wine Equalisation
Tax, total being about 49% of the value of the wine. This rate applies to
both private and commercial importations.

You will need to declare the wine on your "Unaccompanied Personal Effects
Statement" and show a value, if no receipts are available then an estimate
of the value.

Please contact me if more information is required.

The information above is provided as a guide only and should be clarified
by either lodging a formal advice request with the appropriate section of
Customs or employing the services of a licenced customs broker, if
appropriate."

*sigh*
Mike
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
My shipper packed them and logged them as "fragile ornaments" along with some boxes of other fragile ornaments! They did this beacuse they told me if they were labelled "wine/spirits" they are likley to go missing en route.
Who am I to argue? If I get away with that, there will be no duty to pay as it is door to door delivery.
Maybe ask your shipper to do the same.
Disadvantage would be tryong to male any insurance claims for breakages or loss if they actually do go missing. My shipment leaves (Ireland) on Monday.

Andrew
a disadvantage also would be if customs inspected your container and found undeclared goods in it! Hope the wine doesn't leak!
I'm also surprised that shippers are still writing the contents of boxes on the boxes. I thought most were using numbering systems (number the box and write the box number + contents on a sheet of paper....otherwise you are advertising exactly what you have in your shipment for light fingers to take away!)

T&P, I shipped wine...I'm sure we paid a percentage of the value of each bottle - the customs website tells you the import duty for wines and spirits.

I would just make sure the shippers pack it properly. (cos depending how long it is to be in transit and/or storage - esp in a hot container travelling across high temp regions - it may be better upside down)

good luck