Reload this Page >

Shipping - what happens the other end

Shipping - what happens the other end

Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping - what happens the other end

Hi all,

We arrive in September and our stuff is currently sat in a container in freemantle gathering dust.

Just wondering if anyone can advise how i go about the unpacking phase.

Our shipping quote includes unpacking and taking away of all packaging - fine - but what do i need to be aware of at this stage. do i check every item along with the unpackers or doesn't it matter?

Being overly cautious i've ensured full insurance cover of the goods all the way through the process, so it would be a bit of a bugger if i was supposed to do something at the other end which i didn't and it invalidated my claim for some reason?

Cheers

James
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - what happens the other end

Originally Posted by saxtonj
Hi all,

We arrive in September and our stuff is currently sat in a container in freemantle gathering dust.

Our shipping quote includes unpacking and taking away of all packaging - fine - but what do i need to be aware of at this stage. do i check every item along with the unpackers or doesn't it matter?

Being overly cautious i've ensured full insurance cover of the goods all the way through the process, so it would be a bit of a bugger if i was supposed to do something at the other end which i didn't and it invalidated my claim for some reason?

Cheers

James
If you've paid for unpacking, make sure you are there when they do it, keep an eye on the stuff, and keep a camera handy so that if anything is damaged you can prove it came out of the packaging like that. And if they'll remove all the wrappings, hold them to it! Some people find they don't want everything unpacked at once; I certainly left stuff in boxes for a while, and I just told them I was happy to sort it all myself.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:27 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping - what happens the other end

Originally Posted by saxtonj
Hi all,

Cheers

James
My advice would be to check of each item on your inventory and make sure all items are delivered. You can do this by getting them to call out each item as it goes into the house and checking it off your inventory, don't be rushed by the removal company.
If you use the unpacking service then follow the good advice of the OP.
We unpacked some our our things much later and the removal company came back to collect the boxes at our convenience.
Check the small print of the removal company's receipt for the delivery (some contain a clause saying 'all goods have been received undamaged' etc etc). Sign the receipt for the goods as 'unchecked' and report any loss or damages to the removal company and insurer as soon as discovered. Hopefully you won't have any. Good luck.