Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Valuables

Shipping Valuables

Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Valuables

For those who have made the move already - did you put anything of value in the "tea chests" (more like cardboard boxes) that you were given when you shipped your stuff out? I was thinking about things like a PC, xbox console and the like. I am not confident that these are secure enough for me
Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Valuables

Originally posted by jasonK944
For those who have made the move already - did you put anything of value in the "tea chests" (more like cardboard boxes) that you were given when you shipped your stuff out? I was thinking about things like a PC, xbox console and the like. I am not confident that these are secure enough for me

Hi Jason,
We have purchased some aluminium boxes (x- forces stock) from a bankrupt stock outlet. If you do a search of the archives I believe that Sean has posted a picture of them We have worked out that we will get all the possessions that we want to take including the pc in approximately 4 of them.

Good Luck
Debbie
Old Aug 17th 2003, 11:41 pm
owieb

We shipped a whole load of expensive stuff in just the normal cardboard boxes (shipping ones) and they all arived safely.

We had things such as playstations, computers, home cinema stuff etc. It was all packed by a professional removal company and was so well protected.

The most important thing is to make sure that it's all insured to the correct values. Don't under insure, it's not worth it!

We did ship some stuff by air freight, but that had a bit more of a bumpy ride! We had some bikes, crockery, CD's stuff like that in it and there was a lot of damage when that turned up. I think they must of just thrown the boxes around without a care in the world.

We made a claim on the insurance for the damage and got most of it paid for, but the claim took somewhere in the region of 5 months to sort out. The insurance company were crap!

Here is a pic of how our air freight turned up.
Attached Thumbnails Shipping Valuables-airfreight.jpg  

Old Aug 17th 2003, 11:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Moved with Pickfords and yes everything went in Cardboard boxes well stuffed of course, computers etc - as we had the insurance and they did the packing, the stuff then went in a container I assumed everything would be fine and it was. My heart was in my mouth about my crystal and china, I had some of the original boxes (sad hoarder) for those that I didn't have orginal boxes for they basically seemed to pack one glass and forty sheets of wadded paper.

The only thing we had crated was one large mirror and the slate for the pool table and we had those boxes made specially for us. We even kept the crates and used them again when we made our move from the rental to the house we bought. And we reused all the cardboard boxes and paper. We put most of the paper in a 10 or so boxes and flat packed the others for a year. When the time came for the move we then bought one of those hand held masking tape dispensers made up the boxes and packed everything ourselves - results nothing broken! We are now so determined this is our last move for a long while we are slowly getting rid of the cardboard and packing (glad to see the back of it).

Have fun