Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping recommendations

Shipping recommendations

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:03 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping recommendations

Hi
I am sorry for asking this as I know there have been lots of previous threads on shipping but could I please have some recommendations.
We are calling:
PSS
Allied Pickford
Britannia
Today for quotes and just wondered if there is anyone else who we have forgotten. We are avoiding (A.PAcific) after scary threads on here.

Am off to work so I wont be able reply so thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

Prices would be good too (Bristol to Brisbane)
Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:04 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping recommendations

Doree Bonner ... seriously excellent.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:10 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

We have had in John Masons (£2800 for 607 cubic feet) and are getting Doree Bonner in next week.

Martyn
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:58 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Crown Relo. I am just going through their quote now. They have been (appeared) to be the most professional who we have met so far.

cheers
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tin
We have had in John Masons (£2800 for 607 cubic feet) and are getting Doree Bonner in next week.

Martyn

Do check out the threads about John Mason and theft from people's packing, esp the very expensive PS2's etc. Just do a search.

I was chatting to a top bloke in Grace International removals (Doree Bonner use them to unpack at this end) and he was telling me that when people are hired to fill in from agencies, this is where things can go missing. I suppose, logically, if you wanted to ensure good service, you'd need to look at the company's employment record to find out how many 'outside' hands they hire in ... and how many of the regular employees take sickies and how often!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi
I am sorry for asking this as I know there have been lots of previous threads on shipping but could I please have some recommendations.
We are calling:
PSS
Allied Pickford
Britannia
Today for quotes and just wondered if there is anyone else who we have forgotten. We are avoiding (A.PAcific) after scary threads on here.

Am off to work so I wont be able reply so thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

Prices would be good too (Bristol to Brisbane)
Thanks
HI Vernons

We had Pss, pickfords, brittania and whites in so far.

PSS - I wouldnt touch with a barge pole the guy had no clue what he was doing or talking about.
Pickfords - New his stuff and am awaiting the quote - but wouldnt pack things inside things ie fridges etc and as a result says we wont fit everything in a 20ft.

Brittania - Hubby said the guy measured everything and seemed very competent and they do put stuff inside stuff and he could fit everything into a 20ft. Anybody had any disasters with Britannia pretty please let me know!

Whites - competent although also didnt want to pack anything inside anything and as a result everything wouldnt fit in a 20ft.

We have GB liners coming tomorrow and Robinsons tues. Will keep you posted on prices.

NIcola
x
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:26 am
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nicola411
HI Vernons

We had Pss, pickfords, brittania and whites in so far.

PSS - I wouldnt touch with a barge pole the guy had no clue what he was doing or talking about.
Pickfords - New his stuff and am awaiting the quote - but wouldnt pack things inside things ie fridges etc and as a result says we wont fit everything in a 20ft.

Brittania - Hubby said the guy measured everything and seemed very competent and they do put stuff inside stuff and he could fit everything into a 20ft. Anybody had any disasters with Britannia pretty please let me know!

Whites - competent although also didnt want to pack anything inside anything and as a result everything wouldnt fit in a 20ft.

We have GB liners coming tomorrow and Robinsons tues. Will keep you posted on prices.

NIcola
x

Have to agree about PSS, they've had many recommendations but didn't even turn up for me yesterday after waiting in all afternoon. When I phoned I was told the guy had gone to an address in Oldham - I'm in East Sussex!! Won't be using them!

Jane
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:33 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iPom
Do check out the threads about John Mason and theft from people's packing, esp the very expensive PS2's etc. Just do a search.

I was chatting to a top bloke in Grace International removals (Doree Bonner use them to unpack at this end) and he was telling me that when people are hired to fill in from agencies, this is where things can go missing. I suppose, logically, if you wanted to ensure good service, you'd need to look at the company's employment record to find out how many 'outside' hands they hire in ... and how many of the regular employees take sickies and how often!
Thanks iPom I have seen those threads which is why we decided to go with Doree Bonner if their quote is competitive .

Martyn
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Excess International Movers.

I used them to move my stuff over from the UK and would recommend them to others, no worries.

SS
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:57 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

To be fair it seems like it was only a very small (uninsured) minority that fell foul of apparent property theft with John Mason? A lot of other people testified to John Mason being very good/excellent with their move.

Also, if each packing box is marked and then sealed closed how do the thieves manage to open the box, take what they want and then re-seal it without being seen? I imagine that the theft must have to take place whilst the package is in storage, prior to being loaded into the container and onto the ship?

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Jun 22nd 2006 at 11:03 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tin
Thanks iPom I have seen those threads which is why we decided to go with Doree Bonner if their quote is competitive .

Martyn

We found their quote to be mid range... not the highest but not the lowest either. Just better all round ...
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:03 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

if your not having a full container then make sure that you know how much space that they are quoting for and compare this also. if they don't state then ask and if the volumes are different then again get them to quote on the same amount. only by them quoting on the same volume can you get an idea of direct price comparisons between companies. on a full container you don't have this problem as they are all quoting on 20ft container.
this is my advice as when i questioned this the cheapest went to one of the most expensive as they had quoted on about 15% less space.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:21 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks everyone, it is so scary when you read about bad experiences and theft! What is wrong with people, I just don't understand how people can take things of others, it is horrible. On that basis I think I will rule out John Mason and PSS and go for Brittania, Pickfords, D.Bonner and Whites for quotes.

Thanks again

Sorry couldn't reply sooner but I have been making birds out of newspaper and musical instruments out of junk (the life of a primary school teacher!)
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Black Knight1 has a brilliant futureBlack Knight1 has a brilliant futureBlack Knight1 has a brilliant futureBlack Knight1 has a brilliant futureBlack Knight1 has a brilliant futureBlack Knight1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi
Thanks everyone, it is so scary when you read about bad experiences and theft! What is wrong with people, I just don't understand how people can take things of others, it is horrible. On that basis I think I will rule out John Mason and PSS and go for Brittania, Pickfords, D.Bonner and Whites for quotes.

Thanks again

Sorry couldn't reply sooner but I have been making birds out of newspaper and musical instruments out of junk (the life of a primary school teacher!)
Hi Vernons,

It looks like we are at the same stage as you, just down the road in Cheltenham and heading to the big lights of Brisbane.

We would be interested to know the quotes you get back and your thoughts! We have just had a quote back from Crown (International Movers) for £4100, which we think is a bit Pricey as most of our gear is already boxed up in storage.

Sounds like your day was very much like my day at the office (the joys of knowing you have that visa!).

Cheers

BK1

PM us if you would like to swap more details.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

kcw1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, our best quote was Brittania (Deveraux) from Middlesbrough to Brisbane £3830 for 20ft container, 1000 cubic feet - to pack, deliver through to residence in Brisbane, unpack, set up and clear debris. Two friends used them previously and recommend. Will let you know, will be going in about 12 weeks K and P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.