Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:14 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by susette
MM

Do you have any suggestions on how to get the best quotes from these companies? We don't have a huge amount of stuff and the first company suggested 195 cubic feet to us, I've based the rest on that size, but the quotes vary quite a bit.

Also I had a quote from excess for £795 for 175 cubic feet, and then 1st Contact £750 for 195 cubic feet, and then worked out from the email addresses and websites that they are both Excess....what's the deal here, is there room for bargaining with these guys?

One other thing is, we're in between homes at the moment anyway, so most of our stuff is aleady packed in boxes, but have our bed, tv and clothes and stuff to do. The quotes we got included packing and when I asked the lady what it would be without it she said £20 cheaper but our items wouldn't be covered by insurance, so she recons they would have to unpack everything and re pack them. Is this a load of B@££$\1]?

BTW, I have an estimator from Excess coming round tomorrow pm.

Thanks,

Susette
su its in your intrests to let your shipper, do your pack,they will prehaps point out things that you cant take, that you had already packed ,saving you dramas,here in oz,also your goods will be covered by their insurance, i have to be seen to be impartial ,but i can,t fault excess baggages work, we see it at least once a month.My daugther who works in our export dept worked out your shipment ,on the basis of sending the same amount to the uk 195 cu ft about 5m3 worked out packed door to door at A$2200, i dont know the intrest rate at the moment, but that must be close, ....................... MM
Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:28 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Snitzy,

What company did you get this quote from? We don't have a huge amount of stuff, but all the quotes we keep getting so far are for 195 cubic feet in a shared container for £795. It seems quite a lot for approx 12 boxes, but then I have no idea of how big 195 cubic feet is.

Susette
The company is .... my own !!
Send me a PM with the details and I'll happily quote you.
Cheers
S.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, guys for your prompt response, I've ben anxiously awaiting your replies. I feel ready for this afternoon's appointment now.

MM, $2200 works out at approx GBP£880, so it looks like the price is about right. Thanks for the advice on the packing....I'm just a little scepticle with sales people.

Snitzy, Thanks I'll send you a PM

Susette
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:20 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, guys for your prompt response, I've ben anxiously awaiting your replies. I feel ready for this afternoon's appointment now.

MM, $2200 works out at approx GBP£880, so it looks like the price is about right. Thanks for the advice on the packing....I'm just a little scepticle with sales people.

Snitzy, Thanks I'll send you a PM

Susette
no worries su , if you dont like sales people ,be vary wary of oz car salesmen ,they eat their young........... MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the estimator round on Friday arvo, and they quoted me

156 cubic feet = £720.00
225 cubic feet = £920.00

And previously I had:

175 cubic feet = £790 (Excess)
175 cubic feet = £764 (1st Contact (same thing))
195 cubic feet = £795 (Excess)

It all seems a bit odd to me, the guys that came round said he had nothing to do with the quotes, he just passed the information on, yet on his business card it states "Sales Executive", and he said we can take insurance out at 2.7% when we had already been quoted 2.5%

I don't think it helped my scepticism of sales people.

Susette
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I'm just starting to look at getting some quotes and I happened to come by this site.

Might be of interest.

http://www.thelocalweb.net/index/ORS/index_ORS.htm

Regards
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just like to add a warning about shipping insurance to all of you people who are getting your quotes together.

Please make sure that read the small print. I see a lot of people talking about 2% or 3% insurance. Be aware that this is 3% of what your total contents are worth. So if your home contents are worth £35,000 (an average figure) then you will pay over a grand in insurance. It will probably be a lot more than this because high value items, electricals goods, and glass ornaments will attract a premium of around 4-5%

Also be aware that most shipping insurance policies provide no protection from 'damp', 'mildew' or 'vermin'.

I paid the insurance because a) At the time I could afford it quite easily and b) I couldn't stand the thought of losing years' worth of posessions. However, I thought long and hard about not insuring at all because it is such a rip off. Had I moved 10 years ago when I was less materialistically minded I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Just think, would you pay your bank a premium for them NOT to lose your money? Would you pay your local garage a premium for them NOT to wreck your car while it was in for a service? I think not. Why then do you have to pay a removal company extra money for them to look after your stuff?
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Dorree Bonner are the only company that include damp, mould etc in their insurance (according to them!) They charge 3% of the value.

They reckon they have a very low claim rate that is why they include it.

We will probably use them as they do seem professional and they quoted the same as John Mason. We are going to underestimate the cost of our goods, as they don't mean a lot to us anyway. I won't be paying more than £500.

Currently quoted £3125 for a 20ft to Brisbane. He said they base it on 1050 sq ft, but it can hold up to 1200 sq ft.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

There is a hair splitting our choice, but I think we are going to go with http://www.crownrelo.com/web/r5home.nsf/

Crown relocations as they have Crown in OZ and seem to be very professional,

quote no more than 550 cubic feet from Perth to Brisbane £2021.00

it was between Anglo and these

mmm but I may change my mind again

oh it's so difficult

C x
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 8:38 pm
Banned

Originally posted by tinaj
Dorree Bonner are the only company that include damp, mould etc in their insurance (according to them!) They charge 3% of the value.

They reckon they have a very low claim rate that is why they include it.

We will probably use them as they do seem professional and they quoted the same as John Mason. We are going to underestimate the cost of our goods, as they don't mean a lot to us anyway. I won't be paying more than £500.

Currently quoted £3125 for a 20ft to Brisbane. He said they base it on 1050 sq ft, but it can hold up to 1200 sq ft.
in the last10 yrs i have only seen one container with dampness in it and that was because the roof was holed by careless handling , i think this mould thing is a load of crap, if the job is done correctly all your fabrics, mattresses, lounge suites,cushions will be plastic wrapped................ MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:16 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I have the paperwork for the quots from PSS and Bishops move in front of me and they BOTH have cover for mould, damp and electrical malfunction. one is 2.6% and the other 2.8%
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

tezzabart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MM
we are going to Nelson NZ and have been quoted 1275 for a third of a 20 footer door to door from a local company in southampton.this was without insurance but they gave us a rate of we think under 2%(just asked the wife but she can't remember exactly)It's not that we we'rnt going to try the bigger company's, just that living in so'to'n with the docks close by we thought to try a local company.Not feeling 100% confident a friend who works for the cont handling at the docks put me in touch with a guy who he trusts and he said they were ok
I'd like you're view on this as there doe'snt seem to be any others useing small family company's on this thread
I also was thinking of taking my 4x4 which they qouted 1200 putting it in a 20' cont as the ro ro was about the same price,which I checked out,and they were not lying.
So were kinda thinking they could be ok.
Also are there any real no no's taking the motor, I know about cleaning and compliance cert and stuff but they also said there would be offloading charges
I'm sorry this is a bit long ,but I thought if any one else had the same sort of Questions you're advice seem's to be good
you da man M M
tezza
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Doree Bonner

We're going to use Doree Bonner again. They're a good mid-priced operation. Their quote was the most expensive of the three mid-sized ones we got in to quote but they agreed to match the 20 ft container price of the next one down (Anglo Pacific) who also seemed competent - a big price drop so it's worth negotiating. We didn't bother with Pickfords - too expensive and more for the company-paid relocations I think.

We used Doree Bonner on our move to Australia 10 years ago and they were great. They use Grace Brothers removers at the other end who are a very big name in Australia and reliable. Everything arrived just fine, no delays and they were very friendly.

We also used DB to send some tea chests for a friend a few years ago and no trouble there either.

It's worth checking who your movers use in Oz - most seem to use a range of local cheapies which may affect delivery speed, contactability and efficiency at the other end. After all, they're the ones who have to organise the customs clearance etc.

Three tips:

- Always let the movers pack everything. Doesn't cost much more - saves you time and the cost is recouped in cheaper insurance, more efficient packing for volume and less damage to stuff.

- Don't overinsure. Insurance without the excess is expensive so unless you have really pricey valuables the odd damaged thing won't be worth claiming for anyway. You can pay extra to avoid the excess but you'll probably end up needing a big damage claim to recoup the extra. You mostly want to be covered with a lump sum to replace basics in case the whole container falls off the ship in rough seas (rare but it happens) or gets sent to Timbucktoo. Money doesn't replace personal stuff anyway. £20K works for us.

- Make sure your movers are properly bonded with professional associations who will take over if they go out of business. Ring the associations to check they are still fully paid up!!!

Nightmare scenario:

We used a cheapie to move back from Oz. They went out of business after we left. We got our stuff eventually as it had made it onto a boat. We were the lucky ones as I heard many others had their stuff left in warehouses with no paperwork. The insurance premiums hadn't been passed on to the insurers so there were no policies to claim under. Those who could find their belongings from thousands of miles away had to pay full price all over again to get it sent by someone else. I hear the directors of that company are trading again in Oz under a different name...

Last edited by Jolyn; Jun 24th 2003 at 12:22 am.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:18 am
Banned

Originally posted by tezzabart
Hi MM
we are going to Nelson NZ and have been quoted 1275 for a third of a 20 footer door to door from a local company in southampton.this was without insurance but they gave us a rate of we think under 2%(just asked the wife but she can't remember exactly)It's not that we we'rnt going to try the bigger company's, just that living in so'to'n with the docks close by we thought to try a local company.Not feeling 100% confident a friend who works for the cont handling at the docks put me in touch with a guy who he trusts and he said they were ok
I'd like you're view on this as there doe'snt seem to be any others useing small family company's on this thread
I also was thinking of taking my 4x4 which they qouted 1200 putting it in a 20' cont as the ro ro was about the same price,which I checked out,and they were not lying.
So were kinda thinking they could be ok.
Also are there any real no no's taking the motor, I know about cleaning and compliance cert and stuff but they also said there would be offloading charges
I'm sorry this is a bit long ,but I thought if any one else had the same sort of Questions you're advice seem's to be good
you da man M M
tezza
the only southhampton company that comes to mind is WHITES?, The problem with small companys ,and i can only speak for oz , is some times they want to "play with the big boys " but they dont fully understand the game , and come unstuck, the bigger companys are sending freight backwards and forwards every day and they have more to lose if they stuff up, go back in the forum and have a look at the flogging AVALON copped, Offloading charges ,not aware of that one, may be some elaborate scheme the kiwi,s have come upwith to screw more money out of the punters,if you were coming to oz i would say leave the 4x4 ,as you can pick up most models fairly cheaply here, but n.z might be a different story............
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:23 am
Banned

Default Re: Doree Bonner

Originally posted by Jolyn
We're going to use Doree Bonner again. They're a good mid-priced operation. Their quote was the most expensive of the three mid-sized ones we got in to quote but they agreed to match the 20 ft container price of the next one down (Anglo Pacific) who also seemed competent - a big price drop so it's worth negotiating. We didn't bother with Pickfords - too expensive and more for the company-paid relocations I think.

We used Doree Bonner on our move to Australia 10 years ago and they were great. They use Grace Brothers removers at the other end who are a very big name in Australia and reliable. Everything arrived just fine, no delays and they were very friendly.

We also used DB to send some tea chests for a friend a few years ago and no trouble there either.

It's worth checking who your movers use in Oz - most seem to use a range of local cheapies which may affect delivery speed, contactability and efficiency at the other end. After all, they're the ones who have to organise the customs clearance etc.

Three tips:

- Always let the movers pack everything. Doesn't cost much more - saves you time and the cost is recouped in cheaper insurance, more efficient packing for volume and less damage to stuff.

- Don't overinsure. Insurance without the excess is expensive so unless you have really pricey valuables the odd damaged thing won't be worth claiming for anyway. You can pay extra to avoid the excess but you'll probably end up needing a big damage claim to recoup the extra. You mostly want to be covered with a lump sum to replace basics in case the whole container falls off the ship in rough seas (rare but it happens) or gets sent to Timbucktoo. Money doesn't replace personal stuff anyway. £20K works for us.

- Make sure your movers are properly bonded with professional associations who will take over if they go out of business. Ring the associations to check they are still fully paid up!!!

Nightmare scenario:

We used a cheapie to move back from Oz. They went out of business after we left. We got our stuff eventually as it had made it onto a boat. We were the lucky ones as I heard many others had their stuff left in warehouses with no paperwork. The insurance premiums hadn't been passed on to the insurers so there were no policies to claim under. Those who could find their belongings from thousands of miles away had to pay full price all over again to get it sent by someone else. I hear the directors of that company are trading again in Oz under a different name...
hi jolyn, the company that went bottom up on you, the initials wer,nt A.f.R ?............. MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.