Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Sorry meant definite!

The insurance is quite low with J Masons 2%.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Originally posted by Snitzy
Does that include packing etc ? As the price I got is fully inclusive of all fees door to door.
I got a quote of us$45 per m3 freight only.
No the adelaide to bisbane ,was just , road/rail freight, based on a part container,full con, with packing included would reduce this cost per m3, your quote of $45us,was that through Excess baggage,co sounds like their rate?........... MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:20 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suz
We just had a local outfit around for a quote , they said that we should forget anything wicker, bamboo also my husbands fishing equipment a no goer, I knew about the dirt aspect etc. but is this true about wicker etc, I hope not.

thanks
Suz, fishing gear is not a problem,as long as it has been cleaned,no bait remanants left on hooks, knives etc, remove and pack, reels, go down the local carpet sale place and get a center cylinder from a roll or carpet,[most places dump these] just put the rods in side ,and tape the ends up, mark them as fish/rods,we did a delivery from the states last saturday[texas] and i could not believe the condition of the whicker /cane lawn setting but it got through......just make sure it is totally clean [hi-pressure hose is good] no webs or insect larvae/snails etc ,and you should be ok................ MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:20 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

We were quoted 3250 from John Mason from Surrey junction 8 M25 to Sydney 70 k from Sydney centre. Note their insurance does not include for damp mould or electric malfunction otherwise they are not too far away from the cheaper quotes whose insurance does have the full cover.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:23 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]
Just got the quote back from John Masons 20ft container 1000 cubic metres of stuff for £3125. Is this a good price?
We actually came in at 1300 metres, but we will have to ditch certain things as I am not willing to spend any more than this on removals.
You will be lucky to get 1000 cubic metres into a 20ft container as the record is only 28 and the norm is 20 !!
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:31 pm
Banned

Originally posted by tinaj
Wicker is a definate no, look on the foresteries and fisheries website that Mashiraz posted earlier.

Thanks for all the advice it looks like it might be worth taking the garden stuff.

Just got the quote back from John Masons 20ft container 1000 cubic metres of stuff for £3125. Is this a good price?
We actually came in at 1300 metres, but we will have to ditch certain things as I am not willing to spend any more than this on removals.
jeeze i hope you mean 1000cu ft, imagine the poor buggas trying to get 1000m3 into a 20foot box:scared: 1000c,ft is 35cm3 which is the capacity of 1xdry goods container ,which is about the going rate , i think we run around A$8000, door to door full pack OZ to mainland U,K.................... :MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:37 pm
Banned

You will be lucky to get 1000 cubic metres into a 20ft container as the record is only 28 and the norm is 20 !!
you would,nt get a job with us then , gen freight cont are around the 33/35 cm3 mark allowing for packing materials we would want 30m3 minimum,............ MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:08 pm
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by mr mover
you would,nt get a job with us then , gen freight cont are around the 33/35 cm3 mark allowing for packing materials we would want 30m3 minimum,............ MM
Fair enough !
I guess your the expert especially with that name.
Although I only quoted what the guys in the export department told me but I stand corrected and shall inform them according !!

Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Blimey they must still be working in imperial, I just assumed it would be metric. Oh well just shows you what a mess things are in over here. They can't even decide on the units to use!!

I am waiting for Doree Bonner to arrive, will let you know their quote.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:30 pm
Beyond Redemption

Dear Mr Mover
I have been reliably informed that the max. a 20ft container can take is 33.18 m3.
Although this is not a workable measurement therefore expect less. 28 m3 is our packers record and apparently you couldn't get a fag paper inbetween.
Sorry to split hairs !

Old Jun 19th 2003, 4:09 pm
Banned

Dear Mr Mover
I have been reliably informed that the max. a 20ft container can take is 33.18 m3.
Although this is not a workable measurement therefore expect less. 28 m3 is our packers record and apparently you couldn't get a fag paper inbetween.
Sorry to split hairs !

what freight doe,s your xport dept load .?................ MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 4:25 pm
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by mr mover
what freight doe,s your xport dept load .?................ MM
All sorts in boxes and on pallets. Trouble is the inside of the container measures 7'8" x 7'x10" x 20' and the door size is smaller so you can't use boxes of theses dims.
Therefore you would need to get boxes that exactly meet these dims to get max load. But this is unlikely because if a box is 2' sq you lose 1.8sq feet at the end and top of the container. Worse still with pallets and then you have the situation were the container floor might be lined with pallets to incase of water leakage.
I realise you probably know all this so I want go into anymore anorak detail.
S.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 8:51 pm
Banned

All sorts in boxes and on pallets. Trouble is the inside of the container measures 7'8" x 7'x10" x 20' and the door size is smaller so you can't use boxes of theses dims.
Therefore you would need to get boxes that exactly meet these dims to get max load. But this is unlikely because if a box is 2' sq you lose 1.8sq feet at the end and top of the container. Worse still with pallets and then you have the situation were the container floor might be lined with pallets to incase of water leakage.
I realise you probably know all this so I want go into anymore anorak detail.
S.
yes ,i see the problem , i could,nt figure were your guys are losing 5m3 of space , but once you palletise freight you lose a lot of room quickly .we dont have this problem we can just reduce our loading by dismantling items to make them fit , everything is wrapped in soft export wrap so as to wedge tightly , to prevent any movement ,rubbing due to freight movement ,being the biggest cause of damage in this industry............ MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Had a quote for nearly 2 cubic metres from London to Melbourne £225.
S
Snitzy,

What company did you get this quote from? We don't have a huge amount of stuff, but all the quotes we keep getting so far are for 195 cubic feet in a shared container for £795. It seems quite a lot for approx 12 boxes, but then I have no idea of how big 195 cubic feet is.

Susette
Old Jun 19th 2003, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point

MM

Do you have any suggestions on how to get the best quotes from these companies? We don't have a huge amount of stuff and the first company suggested 195 cubic feet to us, I've based the rest on that size, but the quotes vary quite a bit.

Also I had a quote from excess for £795 for 175 cubic feet, and then 1st Contact £750 for 195 cubic feet, and then worked out from the email addresses and websites that they are both Excess....what's the deal here, is there room for bargaining with these guys?

One other thing is, we're in between homes at the moment anyway, so most of our stuff is aleady packed in boxes, but have our bed, tv and clothes and stuff to do. The quotes we got included packing and when I asked the lady what it would be without it she said £20 cheaper but our items wouldn't be covered by insurance, so she recons they would have to unpack everything and re pack them. Is this a load of B@££$\1]?

BTW, I have an estimator from Excess coming round tomorrow pm.

Thanks,

Susette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.