Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - Hit the roof! - Help needed!

Wikiposts

Shipping quotes - Hit the roof! - Help needed!

Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Shipping quotes - Hit the roof! - Help needed!

Hi there you lucky Brits!!!

I have requested a few quotes for 8m3 of stuff (about 280 cubic feet)... from GVA (Switzerland) - to BNE (OZ)

So far i got 3 quotes (one from Crown) and it was for AU$ 7'800.-- that seems like 2'000$ more than what u guys get quoted in the UK. What would you recommend I do?

I tried contacting UK based companies to see if they would do Switzerland-based moves and i am waiting to hear from them...

also, I quoted 8m3 because thats whats written on my storage bills (all my stuff is already in storage). However, i am reading on your posts that some of you move a whole house in a container.... I only have a 1-bedroom apartment. No bed, no big wardrobes... does 8m3 seems resonable???? Maybe i dont actually have 8m3! How big were your houses?

Thank you very very very much for your answers, i am getting desperate with such expensive amounts!!!!!!!!

fabie
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping quotes - Hit the roof! - Help needed!

Just a guess, Fabie, but it may cost you more as the stuff is in Geneva, and thus is some distance from an actual port - I assume they will have to get it all to Rotterdam or somewhere similar in order to load it on a container ship. and that may increase the price.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just a guess, Fabie, but it may cost you more as the stuff is in Geneva, and thus is some distance from an actual port - I assume they will have to get it all to Rotterdam or somewhere similar in order to load it on a container ship. and that may increase the price.
Pollyana, thanks for answering!!!

True, but 2 grand more!!! thats soo much! need to do more research...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Pollyana, thanks for answering!!!

True, but 2 grand more!!! thats soo much! need to do more research...

Just to give you some idea. I had a quote for 209 cubic feet which came to £1040 (pounds). Convert that to Ozzie dollars and it comes in about $2600.

Adrian
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

I can't really help, but from memory (correct me if I'm wrong) our container from the UK was 20' or 1050 cubic foot. Should be for a 3 bed house!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alrobson
Just to give you some idea. I had a quote for 209 cubic feet which came to £1040 (pounds). Convert that to Ozzie dollars and it comes in about $2600.

Adrian
Thats 3 times cheaper! may i ask which company u used, and from where?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Thats 3 times cheaper! may i ask which company u used, and from where?
Yeah, no problem.

I'm using Allied Pickfords, and it's from Leicester which is virtually in the middle of England, so no port right next to me!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have requested a few quotes for 8m3 of stuff (about 280 cubic feet)... from GVA (Switzerland) - to BNE (OZ)

So far i got 3 quotes (one from Crown) and it was for AU$ 7'800.-- that seems like 2'000$ more than what u guys get quoted in the UK. What would you recommend I do?

I tried contacting UK based companies to see if they would do Switzerland-based moves and i am waiting to hear from them...

also, I quoted 8m3 because thats whats written on my storage bills (all my stuff is already in storage). However, i am reading on your posts that some of you move a whole house in a container.... I only have a 1-bedroom apartment. No bed, no big wardrobes... does 8m3 seems resonable???? Maybe i dont actually have 8m3! How big were your houses?

Thank you very very very much for your answers, i am getting desperate with such expensive amounts!!!!!!!!

fabie
I'm shipping from France and its much more expensive. Also my dog was double the price from France so he is leaving from the UK now. I can only assume thats its a demand thing?? It is cheaper from UK...
I did manage to get a few hundred knocked off from haggling but I think you will still pay more

cheers
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkin
I'm shipping from France and its much more expensive. Also my dog was double the price from France so he is leaving from the UK now. I can only assume thats its a demand thing?? It is cheaper from UK...
I did manage to get a few hundred knocked off from haggling but I think you will still pay more

cheers
Thanks for that, what company are u using from france? Maybe i'll ask them for a quote!!!!

fabie
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:44 pm
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Hi Fabie

I am paying 4300 euro full door to door service through uts for a 20 feet container.

For the animals i have a dog and two cats we are paying 3500 euro all inclusive.

I also have a excel sheet I made for comparision. If you need let me know your address through PM I will forward to you.

Cheers
Badri
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

fabie
Are you sure thats not a quote for flying it! Sounds like a price for air freight.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Fabie - have you tried contacting a shipping company in Italy? Possibly shipping from Genoa. As you don't have a huge amount of stuff to ship perhaps you can rent a big van and take it to Italy? I think it isn't that far - maybe 350 / 400 km.