Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - help please

Shipping quotes - help please

Old May 1st 2006, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future
Default Shipping quotes - help please

Hi

I know there have been lots of threads about individual companies.

I am wondering - who would people recommend.

We're going Glasgow to Sydney.

500 cubic feet.

Interesting to read some individual quotes. We've just been quoted £3000 for shared 50% of a 20ft container by Doree Bonner. Is this any good. I read PSS quoted only £500 more for a whole container use and that's why I can't work out why our price was so high.

All help would be welcome on this.

Last edited by khoardiroy; May 1st 2006 at 6:29 pm.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping quotes - help please

Originally Posted by khoardiroy
Hi

500 cubic square feet.

Interesting to read some individual quotes. We've just been quoted £3000 for shared 50% of a 20ft container by Doree Bonner. Is this any good. I read PSS quoted only £500 more for a whole container use and that's why I can't work out why our price was so high.

I think you're going to struggle to be able to find anywhere who will quote you on 500 cubic sqare feet
Old May 1st 2006, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marco121068
I think you're going to struggle to be able to find anywhere who will quote you on 500 cubic sqare feet
Edit done.

Anyone actually able to help!
Old May 1st 2006, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

paulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura about

I've had excess international and anglo pacific give us quotes of between £4,200 and £4,400 for sole use of a 20ft container. so your quote for half seems really expensive. :scared:
Have also got 3 other companies coming next week. Get as many as you can, is the advice we're getting and then check threads about them as other peoples views can really help.
PSS have just quoted someone else on this forum under £4,000 for 20ft container - check it out.
Hope this kind of helps - I think its going to be difficult deciding on who to use, as want best quote but good service is also vital.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Edit done.

Anyone actually able to help!
Sorry
Old May 1st 2006, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=khoardiroy]Edit done.

Anyone actually able to help![/Q

We had several quotes recently and my experience was that the more you send the cheaper it is, so to speak. On one of the quotes I was given, it was only a few hundred pounds more for a whole container than a shared one. Excess Baggage company were signifacntly cheaper and had a reasonable review on here recently. Hope this helps.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marco121068
Sorry
Its cool man... you were right... a football pitch is a lot to take!

Paula - cheers. Just requested PSS to quote.

Already well warned about Anglo Pacific.

Anyone else folks?
Old May 1st 2006, 6:40 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Think the price difference in sharing a container or sole use of a container are nominal, as it's the actual packing, moving and storing, that costs the money.

Would recommend Crown.

Hi

500 cubic feet.

Old May 1st 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

We've only had one quote so far and that was with John Mason for a 20ft container £3500! from London to Sydney. John Mason seem to be well recommended on here too.

Good luck
Old May 1st 2006, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Hi

500 cubic feet.

Hi there we are using White & Company, Stirling to Perth £2338
Old May 1st 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

All these ideas are great. I've contacted all the companies so far for a quote.

We're really appreciating this folks.

Do White and company do everything in that price?

Any more?
Old May 1st 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Karen and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really nice

It seems white and company do everything for that price. They have quoted us very similar for Edinburgh to Perth. I think we are probably going to use them too although I am waiting for a quote from someone called IMS, so I'll let you know. The lady from IMS was explaining the cost increases for shared container as they still have to load up lorry, take it to meet other stuff for container and then load up container as against just bringing the container to you and loading it up. She said if using over 600 feet then might as well have your own container! But she did say their insurance was 4%!
Keep us posted.
Karen
Old May 1st 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Hi

500 cubic feet.

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this is terribly helpful because it involves doing quite a bit of the work yourselves....but, there is a company called elite shipping based in durham which will ship a 20ft container for £1500!!!
They drop if off....you pack it yourself, then they pick it up. I think you are also responsible for customs clearance etc yourself, but it's a good price if anyone is doing this move on a tight budget.
We used them when we went to Aus last time.....(long story)...and we are now preparing to go back, and will no doubt use them again.
If anyone is interested, contact me and I'll give you the contact details.

Tanya.
By the way, the £1500 seems the fairly standard price for shipping to any of the major Aus cities.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Karen and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really nice

Hi Tanya
How was it packing your own container? Did you find it hard going/stressful? Were you able to get insurance without a problem?
Karen
Old May 1st 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Karen and Iain
Hi Tanya
How was it packing your own container? Did you find it hard going/stressful? Were you able to get insurance without a problem?
Karen
Hi Karen,

Yep, getting the insurance was no problem ....packing up was quite difficult (having said that no worse than packing when moving within the UK!)
I think it will be worse this time as we now have 2 kids under 3...aargh!
I personally would rather be stressed for a day or two than pay a company 3 times as much to do a dodgy job! ....(and I'm also quite stingy..lol)
Tanya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.