Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping quote, what do u think?

shipping quote, what do u think?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:23 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default shipping quote, what do u think?

Just had a quote for 750 cubic feet ..its come in at £2700 for shared container and we would have to pack and £3100 for sole use of 20ft container...does this sound expensive. It was only an online quote though.

Got excess baggage coming next month for quote too x
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping quote, what do u think?

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
Just had a quote for 750 cubic feet ..its come in at £2700 for shared container and we would have to pack and £3100 for sole use of 20ft container...does this sound expensive. It was only an online quote though.

We used a shared 20ft container with Allied Pickfords door to door, Pool to Perth and paid approx £2100 with their insurance. Teams of packers were excellent both sides.
Your quote does sound expensive though

Good Luck

John
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:01 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

can i ask how much stuff you had? We are taking 2 and 3 seater sofas, dining table (collapsable)6 chairs, fridge,washer, 1 double be large wardrobe, cot 4 chest of drawers 2 sideboards and tons of boxes...oh and garden talbel which folds and 4 chairs. Just emailed allied for a quote. thanks x
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

Hi, I have had a quote for a 20ft container £3924 but thats with the packers packing all of my items and unpacking them the other side. This price does not include any taxes. This is the only quote I have had for now as my house has been up for sale for 2 weeks and I have not had any viewers yet. As I understand the quote is only valid for a certain amount of time unless I put a deposit down, but I will wait until my house sells then get more quotes.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Graff
Hi, I have had a quote for a 20ft container £3924 but thats with the packers packing all of my items and unpacking them the other side. This price does not include any taxes. This is the only quote I have had for now as my house has been up for sale for 2 weeks and I have not had any viewers yet. As I understand the quote is only valid for a certain amount of time unless I put a deposit down, but I will wait until my house sells then get more quotes.
how does it work... if you haven't got an address yet in oz, how do you tell the shipping company where to ship the container? does it just get stored the other end until you inform them?
like us, we won't be able to sell the house until all our stuff are out
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChocCake
how does it work... if you haven't got an address yet in oz, how do you tell the shipping company where to ship the container? does it just get stored the other end until you inform them?
Hi folks,

I am atathe end of a month of shipping quotes and it is an akward but worthwhile job. I had three surveys done and they all came in around the same amount so I was relatively reasured that if I took what I wanted to take I would be over the 20ft container. We have decided with the company to prioritise and then we can in order of importance fill up with the "if possible" pile.

Quotes all came in from £3575 - £4,300(Allied) but I did find there was a slight room to negotiate. I found the cheapest to be Removal Group and they were easy to talk to and you get your own removal consultant. I think we will be going with Robinsons as I got the best feel from their local team who will be packing our stuff and they use Wridgeways in Australia. Cheapest is not always the most important I suppose and there is only a £100 in it!!!!.

Try Removal Group as I think you will find them competative. We are in germany so our case is a little more retricted as we have to find a company with English speaking reps in germany.

Good luck

Cheryl
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:25 pm
looking for my marbles

i think they all offer storage facilities over there, we just said we were off to adelaide , i guess as long as you give them city you are going its fine at this stage. But i will use my cousins contact details x
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

i think they all offer storage facilities over there, we just said we were off to adelaide , i guess as long as you give them city you are going its fine at this stage. But i will use my cousins contact details x
Hi we were told that you phone the local office who will deal with your move in Australia and then give them your address for delivery as long as its within a certain radius of the docking port (something you should agree up front) then there is no problem.

Cheryl
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Just had a quote for 750 cubic feet ..its come in at £2700 for shared container and we would have to pack
Do you really want to pack everything yourself ? think about it for a moment. It took 3 blokes 2 days to pack our stuff (3 bed house), they do this on a daily basis so know how to do it better than I could. We used a shared container (or groupage as they also call it) coming back to the UK from OZ in 2002. Half our stuff ended up being delivered to the people who's goods our had been shared with. Plus it can take longer as they wait until they have goods going to the same place (so we were told).

£3100 for sole use of 20ft container...does this sound expensive. It was only an online quote though.
That sounds reasonable providing there going to pack the goods, load the container and seal it at your property (which they should do for a sole use container). If there not going to pack then look elsewhere.

IMHO they were not competitive with the other companies.

We've used:

John Mason (used these UK-OZ they use an agent in OZ - no hassles)

Crown (used them for OZ-UK and they lied ! Quoted & charges us for sole use container but they ended up using groupage which is cheaper for them. Some boxes & a computer table ended up with someone else's shipment. They broke my computer table as they shipped it via a courier and wanted me to claim on my insurance. If they sent it the correct way it wouldn't have broke in the first place so threatened them with court action, took a few days but got compo.).

Anglo Pacific (used these to come to Perth in Nov 2007). Estimator couldn't estimate - he quoted 720 cu ft but we ended up with 820 cu ft (and that's after the wife had a clear out of clothes, shoes etc in between the quote and the packing). Went for the Sole Use 20ft container as it's quicker and we didn't want anything going missing this time. Just waiting for AQIS to clear them (hopefully next week which is a month since it arrived as there's a backlog (apparently)
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi folks,

Try Removal Group as I think you will find them competative.

Cheryl
Be careful with the The Removal Group - they may be competitive but they don't have any vans or men - everything they do is passed on to other removal companies. You could say they act as a 'broker' - they'll win your move and then hawk it around a few companies to see who will do it for the cheapest price. This isn't to say you'll get a crap move but just be very careful and whatever you decide make sure they come and see you to carry out a visual estimate - otherwise you'll get stung for extras when the volume is greater than they have worked to for your intial quotation.

Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

Our quote for a sole 20ft container is £3100
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:06 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

John Masons, Watford - Gold Coast - £3,500 odd - sole use - 20ft - 3 bed.

EXCELLENT service! ... and bear in mind it took 4 blokes 2 days to pack it all!

Even things like chairs are wrapped up (see pic 1)

A few pics.

Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:58 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ChocCake
No problems if you have an email address at least and then when you do get an address you let the origin agents know. Australia is one of the countries that does require a full contact address for you, so you would need to give the address of the hotel or apartment you stay in, or a mates address.