Wikiposts

Shipping Quote

Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping Quote

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
We had Pickfords come out the other week to give us a quote.
Whilst at the house, the man said we would need approx 610 cubic feet, and the actual quote said no more than 615 cubic feet.

I asked him what would happen if we had more to take when the time came, and he said he would be able to just add it on. He said that it was only a part container we needed, and that the measuremetns had to be accurate as we were sharing, and other people's things would be in amongst ours, and possibly piled on top.

I am concerned about the space issue, as he went round and I told him what we were taking, but didn't know what he actually wrote down. I realised also, when he had gone, that I may have forgotten to tell him about a few things we were taking.

I have 2 concerns:

1. That we go over our limit
2. The fact our stuff is mingled in with other people's

Should we go with someone else, or am I worrying too much
We used Pickford's and they were great , we were worried about space as we were having a part shipment, what they do is send out a van and a couple of blokes load all your stuff into boxes then put it into wooden crates and then take it back to there there yard and store it til they have a container going you way with enough room usually within 2 - 3 weeks so I wouldn't stress just look at it as free storage , also ask the guys when they finish loading on the day how much they think the volume is as we discovered ours was less by quite a bit give it a few Days phone Pickford's and ask for revised cost base on what you have been told (unless The amount is more of course),

We decided to do some creative packing and and went to wilko and got cheap space bags for all our clothes and daughters teddy's vacuumed packed all of them and bought cheap suitcases and holdalls from places like pound stretchers etc..... for £10 ish and put the space bags in so if they burst they they would be kept together don't know how this works out for cost compared to shipping just ensure you label the outside of the cases saying whats in them , try and put all the soft toys together with nothing else as these may be inspected due to the stuffing, we also went and bought those cheap uunder-bedand plastic toy-boxes with lids from cheap shops £5 - £7 each and packed all our books DVD's and non breakables as we feel the packers would not cram as much into a small space as you can we saved a fair bit on shipping by doing this we saved around £1200 from origoriginalimate. .......Hope this helps
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:06 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Quote

Originally Posted by tabby
We used Pickford's and they were great , we were worried about space as we were having a part shipment, what they do is send out a van and a couple of blokes load all your stuff into boxes then put it into wooden crates and then take it back to there there yard and store it til they have a container going you way with enough room usually within 2 - 3 weeks so I wouldn't stress just look at it as free storage , also ask the guys when they finish loading on the day how much they think the volume is as we discovered ours was less by quite a bit give it a few Days phone Pickford's and ask for revised cost base on what you have been told (unless The amount is more of course)
That's good to know, and has put my mind to rest a bit more, thanks

Originally Posted by tabby
We decided to do some creative packing and and went to wilko and got cheap space bags for all our clothes and daughters teddy's vacuumed packed all of them and bought cheap suitcases and holdalls from places like pound stretchers etc..... for £10 ish and put the space bags in so if they burst they they would be kept together don't know how this works out for cost compared to shipping just ensure you label the outside of the cases saying whats in them , try and put all the soft toys together with nothing else as these may be inspected due to the stuffing, we also went and bought those cheap uunder-bedand plastic toy-boxes with lids from cheap shops £5 - £7 each and packed all our books DVD's and non breakables as we feel the packers would not cram as much into a small space as you can we saved a fair bit on shipping by doing this we saved around £1200 from origoriginalimate. .......Hope this helps
We have got clothes vacuvacuumed have packed DVD's and CD's into those 'really useful boxes'
We still have a bit of de-cluttering to do, but not that much. Hopefully we will be able to contact them in the next few weeks, when the solicitor's gettget theirgers out!