Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping question

Shipping question

Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Shipping question

Put in application so am getting abit ahead of myself but was just chatting with friends who were asking about shipping belongings, which got me thinking so i have a few questions i wonder if anyone can help with. Firstly what companies can people recommend and at what cost. How long roughly, and what happens to your stuff when it gets to other side obviously we wont have an address before we go. Do you let them know at a later date or does it go into storage, how much does storage cost approx? Many thanks to anyone who can provide any info on this.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping question

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Put in application so am getting abit ahead of myself but was just chatting with friends who were asking about shipping belongings, which got me thinking so i have a few questions i wonder if anyone can help with. Firstly what companies can people recommend and at what cost. How long roughly, and what happens to your stuff when it gets to other side obviously we wont have an address before we go. Do you let them know at a later date or does it go into storage, how much does storage cost approx? Many thanks to anyone who can provide any info on this.
I can recommend Crown so far but not got to other side yet. Also heard Doree Bonner, White & Co quite good. I had quotes from PSS and Britannia and Allied Pickford as well. Mine cost £3700 for full 20ft container from Lancs to Townsville, Northern Queensville. Also got free storage this end. All fees with Crown inc AQUIS fees included in price, check this as a lot of other co's AQUIS fees are on top of final quote so they look cheaper. My container leaves Southampton 12th Dec and arrives Brisbane 11th Jan. They come to quote and do walk through with what your taking etc. On the packing day they did another walk through just to confirm what we wanted leaving and then export wrapped and packed everything. Very polite and hardworking. The stuff arrives in our case at Brissie, cleares customs and then when you're ready the send it up by road. We still don't have an address but now we have booked have been able to give them our temporary details. They said just to let my Crown australian contact know when rental sorted and we wanted delivery.
Hope this helps
Sal
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:21 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I used Anglo Pacific @ app £3400 for a 20ft. Our stuff set off 28 August, arrived 19 Oct & cleared customs and quarantine 24 Oct. As we are not going until end of Jan it is to be held in storage for around 5 months until we have arrived & found a place. I put my aunt's address on the customs forms etc (even tho she' is in Adelaide and we are going to melbourne this was not a problem). Storing in Aus is much cheaper than storing here and shipping later.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

We used Crown..

The packers were awesome...

Cant rememeber cost..

just dont pack anything that looks like a fir cone. And wipe your tools with Jeyes Fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Shipping question-dscn3150.jpg  
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks for all the info, i will get quotes nearer time just wanted to clear some things up. PS. Can you take any tools, what about generators? Also do you use that Jeyes fluid on any garden furniture, Thanks again
Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Many thanks for all the info, i will get quotes nearer time just wanted to clear some things up. PS. Can you take any tools, what about generators? Also do you use that Jeyes fluid on any garden furniture, Thanks again
Don't know about tools and generators sorry but use Jeyes fluid on everything. It stinks the house out but the point is the smell lingers so when they open your container to inspect it they can smell it and hopefully lul them into subconsciously realising everything is spotless and they then only cursorily examining your stuff.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

40ft container £2500

packing myself...£200

£2700

Cash in my pocket,,,, at least £1000....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:42 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
We used Crown..

The packers were awesome...

Cant rememeber cost..

just dont pack anything that looks like a fir cone. And wipe your tools with Jeyes Fluid.

Bloody hell that looks full .
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

And wipe your tools with Jeyes Fluid.
Did'nt that sting a bit?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

What company did you use? Do you mean you packed the boxes or boxes and container?
Originally Posted by on a mission
40ft container £2500

packing myself...£200

£2700

Cash in my pocket,,,, at least £1000....
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I used Anglo Pacific @ app £3400 for a 20ft. Our stuff set off 28 August, arrived 19 Oct & cleared customs and quarantine 24 Oct. As we are not going until end of Jan it is to be held in storage for around 5 months until we have arrived & found a place. I put my aunt's address on the customs forms etc (even tho she' is in Adelaide and we are going to melbourne this was not a problem). Storing in Aus is much cheaper than storing here and shipping later.
Anglo Pacific delivered our friend's belongings back to Oz after 2 years in the UK. No one was in, so they left all his stuff on the front lawn, totally out in the open for anyone to pinch!!
Consequently we've booked White and Co, they are due on Tuesday. 278 cubic feet for £1600. Insurance with Letton Percival, £250 for approx £15k of stuff (new for old). Takes approx 44 days so we might get all our own stuff back for Christmas
Can't say if White and Co are any good till after Tues but will let you know!