Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping question

Shipping question

Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Question Shipping question

Hi everyone

Quick question about the shipping companies.

When they come to do the packing do they unpack boxes of stuff and put them in their own boxes or do they keep the stuff in whatever boxes we have put it in?
I am currently packing the house up but if they are going to unpack everything then I wont be so fastidious with my own packing.
Ornaments are packed well enough to move house but not well enough to be shipped....should I repack them properly or will they do that?

Basically as I pack up the house should I pack as if it was being shipped?

Thanks alot

Jackie
xxxxx
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping question

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Hi everyone

Quick question about the shipping companies.

When they come to do the packing do they unpack boxes of stuff and put them in their own boxes or do they keep the stuff in whatever boxes we have put it in?
I am currently packing the house up but if they are going to unpack everything then I wont be so fastidious with my own packing.
Ornaments are packed well enough to move house but not well enough to be shipped....should I repack them properly or will they do that?

Basically as I pack up the house should I pack as if it was being shipped?

Thanks alot

Jackie
xxxxx
I've had the packing guys here all day - we packed nothing, leave everything in cupboards, pictures on walls etc - it seams lazy, but you're not insured for anything you pack yourselves.

They also said it is better to leave stuff in cupboards, draws etc as if you lift them out on to worktops, it gives them no room to pack.

We did pack some clothes in to the vacuum bags that you can shrink with a hoover. This was because my wife did not want them going through her smalls (or larges!).

Some tips - plenty of tea/coffee, buscuits and cream cakes - they really like it!

Leave them to it - don't watch over them, its their job.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I've had the packing guys here all day - we packed nothing, leave everything in cupboards, pictures on walls etc - it seams lazy, but you're not insured for anything you pack yourselves.

They also said it is better to leave stuff in cupboards, draws etc as if you lift them out on to worktops, it gives them no room to pack.

We did pack some clothes in to the vacuum bags that you can shrink with a hoover. This was because my wife did not want them going through her smalls (or larges!).

Some tips - plenty of tea/coffee, buscuits and cream cakes - they really like it!

great advice..i have often wondered how that worked aswell.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Can I ask who you had to do your packing etc, sounds like they know what they are doing. Good luck with it all, I'm not looking forward to this bit, but guess its got to be done.
Andrea
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andreak
Can I ask who you had to do your packing etc, sounds like they know what they are doing. Good luck with it all, I'm not looking forward to this bit, but guess its got to be done.
Andrea
My company uses Davies Turner for their international personnel moves. They were about £1000 more than some of the quotes I have read on here.

But its proper packing, good communication, documentation and a proper container - not a reefer as some use.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

My company uses Davies Turner for their international personnel moves. They were about £1000 more than some of the quotes I have read on here.

But its proper packing, good communication, documentation and a proper container - not a reefer as some use.
Thanks very much, I'll check them out. Do you think they are better or on a par with Crown, who seem to have a good reputation on BE?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Ok so the upshot is that anything I pack myself had better be either worth nowt or well boxed up because it isnt insured!

The sort of thing I mean is boxes of keepsakes, letters, kids schoolwork etc etc and photos taken out of the loft. I dont want anything to happen to them but it seems silly to stick it all in a drawer just for the packers to pack in their own boxes.

Thanks

Jackie
xxxxxx
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

This is going to sound really silly but what exactly is the difference between a reefer and a container. I've never heard of a reefer.

Thanks Trish