Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Q-How many have found stuff mouldy, damaged etc

Shipping Q-How many have found stuff mouldy, damaged etc

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Shipping Q-How many have found stuff mouldy, damaged etc

Hi All,

Am just starting to think about what and what not to ship. Is there anything you wish you hadn't of ie, sentimental stuff which has been broken, damaged (Photos). Also what about books, papers and photos, do they get damp? I need to take teaching files with me and portfolios. Also when packers come to your house do they pack everything for you or can you ask for some boxes in advance that you can pack as you sort through cupboards and things. One more question thanks for peoples patience here! What electrical stuff is actually worth taking. Thanks in advance for any assistance Sam x
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Q-How many have found stuff mouldy, damaged etc

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Hi All,

Am just starting to think about what and what not to ship. Is there anything you wish you hadn't of ie, sentimental stuff which has been broken, damaged (Photos). Also what about books, papers and photos, do they get damp? I need to take teaching files with me and portfolios. Also when packers come to your house do they pack everything for you or can you ask for some boxes in advance that you can pack as you sort through cupboards and things. One more question thanks for peoples patience here! What electrical stuff is actually worth taking. Thanks in advance for any assistance Sam x
When we had removers, we asked for boxes beforehand to put things in. If we hadn't have, then they would never have got it all done on time. we were told if we put anything in boxes we had to write down what was in that box and don't tape the box up, leave it full for the removers to tape up, so they could write it in for customs the other end.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

All of our stuff arrived perfect.

The only things we pre-packed was some clothes in to those bags that you shrink down. My wife did not want the packers going through her smalls (or larges). Don't pack anything else yourself or your not insured.

We brought our fridge against the advice of many and it works much better than the Oz fridge we bought.

Only things that wont work from what we brought are:

1. Patio heater - gas regulators in Oz deliver a low pressure that does not suit the higher pressure demands of UK/European portable gas equipment

2. Digital set top box and digital part of TV - Where we are living in Sydney digital terrestrial TV is on VHF, in UK it is UHF so they wont tune in.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

From our own, and others' experience here the only time things get damaged is if boxes get opened by customs. Essentially when they are finished they just chuck things back in the boxes, they don't bother to re-pack them, e.g. a ceramic bowl of mine (wedding present of great sentimental value but very little monetary value so no point claiming on insurance) had just been thrown back in the box without any paper/packaging around it so unsurprisingly it smashed in pieces. "Mixed" boxes of bits and pieces seem to be the most likely to get opened for what it's worth.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi we only had one breakage, glass on a photo frame. Everything else arrived in the condition it left the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
From our own, and others' experience here the only time things get damaged is if boxes get opened by customs. Essentially when they are finished they just chuck things back in the boxes, they don't bother to re-pack them, e.g. a ceramic bowl of mine (wedding present of great sentimental value but very little monetary value so no point claiming on insurance) had just been thrown back in the box without any paper/packaging around it so unsurprisingly it smashed in pieces. "Mixed" boxes of bits and pieces seem to be the most likely to get opened for what it's worth.
I quite agree, we had a large number of things damaged in this way with customs.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i washed all our bedding the night be4 the packers arrived all bedding was then boxed up in a normal box

7 weeks later ................. box opened and bedding put on beds and smelt like i had just washed it ...the whole lot smelt of lenor which my oldest stated smelt like being back in england

nothing of ours was broken/damaged

no mould either
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Brilliant can you possibly tell me who you went with and what costs where involved thanks you have restored my confidence.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Brilliant can you possibly tell me who you went with and what costs where involved thanks you have restored my confidence.
we went with crown
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:21 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

yes there are a few horror stories about shipping and shippers, but to be fair it's not as often as it may appear and customs does seem to be the main culprit of damaging goods.

keep boxes labeled clearly, dont give them reason to go searching through your stuff and fingers crossed and a bit of luck, your stuff will be fine just as most peoples are.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

johnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to all

Our container arrived 2 weeks ago (Doree Bonner) with a fair bit of damage - at least 8 wine glasses (only 2 from same set!!!), glass top from antique sideboard, 6 draw bedroom cabinet - had been packed full as recomended by DB, Grace (the removal guys here) said this is often done but never should be as the furniture (unless v expensive/heavy duty) can not take the strain, 2 glass domed bed side lights, chip out of wedgewood dinner service (great aunts so major sentimental value). Grace also commented saw most damage goods from DB. Have full insurance but they want pictures of evrything and war and peace in the volume of forms. Alos told us (when finally replied to email) not to throw anthing away - too late, no way was keeping that amount of broken glass in house with 2 children around.

Perhaps we were just unlucky?

Ali