Reload this Page >

shipping photos, help!

shipping photos, help!

Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:16 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping photos, help!

We have photos in albums and photos in boxes. Will they survive the trip over the equator?

I am concerned about the humidity wrecking the photos since we lost quite a few years ago from storing them in a damp cellar (yes, stupid I know).

Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping photos, help!

Originally posted by jaz
We have photos in albums and photos in boxes. Will they survive the trip over the equator?

I am concerned about the humidity wrecking the photos since we lost quite a few years ago from storing them in a damp cellar (yes, stupid I know).

Check of course with your shippers - ours came over absolutely fine, albums, boxes, framed one etc. You could of course take out all the negatives and leave those in the UK until the first lot arrive and then get the negatives posted over - just to be on the safe side. Or get them scanned by a company onto disk etc.

Lots of options, but none of my advice did I take up myself, just ended up too busy when the time came, so we packed the lot. As the crate was for single usage only and sealed and insured we took the 'risk' which we considered low.

Don't worry too much

Cheers
Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:46 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that. I really couldnt get the mountain of photos scanned, and some are from other people. I think that we may risk it unless somebody comes back with a horror story!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

i was wondering while on the subject of photos my folks have millions of pics in albums etc and i was thinking of getting them all and putting them on cds.

but for me to scan them and then burn a cd it would take me ages and a lot effort i was wondering if there was a company that did such a service my folks have tons of pics and some very old and not replaceable and it would be a shame to have them damaged.

i just thought it would be nice to keep them all in cds anyone got info on this
Old Sep 1st 2003, 4:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brian.w
i was wondering while on the subject of photos my folks have millions of pics in albums etc and i was thinking of getting them all and putting them on cds.

but for me to scan them and then burn a cd it would take me ages and a lot effort i was wondering if there was a company that did such a service my folks have tons of pics and some very old and not replaceable and it would be a shame to have them damaged.

i just thought it would be nice to keep them all in cds anyone got info on this
I have no personal recommendation, friends and family in different parts of the world have done some and have been pleased with the result, even heard about one lot of phots being put on a video - so the foggies could view on something other than the computer!

Do not think it is that cheap cause of the time as you have already mentioned, but worth doing a google search or the like - here is one I found for AUS http://www.pcx.com.au/asp/VCD_PhotoCD.asp

and it came with a cost sheet, anyway worth asking for quotes when you find one in your area?

Good luck
Old Sep 1st 2003, 5:24 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

If you are worried about damp damage just put some silica gell sachets in with the albums to keep them dry if needs be
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping photos, help!

Originally posted by jaz

go to your local convienence store ,get some plastic tubs ,or polystyrene boxes with lids , put albums or photo packs on their edges , sachet of silica gel, in each box tape the edges shut, and write this way up only/top load ,,on the boxes , no worries..... MM
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:31 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

where can i buy silica gel sachets????
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:14 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default silica gell

You can get silica from a company called RS (Radio Spares) ask your local electrician who will have a catalogue.They supply by mail order.I have their details on cd somewhere will look it out and post details cat number, phone number etc later. Colin
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yvsie
where can i buy silica gel sachets????

Pleased you posted that question Yvsie.

Whisky
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:27 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hmmph whisky...now dont you just wish that you were a hoarder and saved all those silly little packets that you get in almost everything.....
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

hmmph whisky...now dont you just wish that you were a hoarder and saved all those silly little packets that you get in almost everything.....

Threw 2 packets away that I had in a new pair of shoes.
Oh well, I will have to go and buy another pair.

Imelda Marcos
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:33 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

think of the money that we could save eh??...do all our clothes shopping..which ofcourse is absolutely necessary and save the silica gel sachets...hence the saving...wont have to buy any!!!!!!!

now isnt that a good idea...retail therapy!!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

think of the money that we could save eh??...do all our clothes shopping..which ofcourse is absolutely necessary and save the silica gel sachets...hence the saving...wont have to buy any!!!!!!!

now isnt that a good idea...retail therapy!!!!!

Brilliant idea!!!! Thats 2 pairs I will go and buy!!!

Imelda
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:46 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Don't know if they still do, but a chemists will normally stock silica gel, which you can stick in little bags made of muslin yourself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.