Reload this Page >

Shipping to Perth

Shipping to Perth

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

jimmy.m is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Shipping to Perth

Hi all,
I have four months to go until leaving the UK for Perth and would really appreciate some advise as to shipping companies for my stuff, as its all a year old.
I intend to short term rent (furnished) on arrival, and store my stuff at a friends in the UK, once settled in, and an offer accepted on a home, I wish to ship my stuff over,
King size bed (base and mattress),
3 seater sofa,
40" LCD,
and about 5 decent sized boxes of bits and bobs,

The thing is, I wont be there to sort out the packing wrapping and transport, now I am aware there are quite a few companies that do all this for you,

But do any of you out there, that have used these services have any good recommendations or horror stories,

All advise gratefully received,

jimmy.m
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:22 am
Just Joined

helenlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping to Perth

Originally Posted by jimmy.m
Hi all,
I have four months to go until leaving the UK for Perth and would really appreciate some advise as to shipping companies for my stuff, as its all a year old.
I intend to short term rent (furnished) on arrival, and store my stuff at a friends in the UK, once settled in, and an offer accepted on a home, I wish to ship my stuff over,
3 seater sofa,
40" LCD,

The thing is, I wont be there to sort out the packing wrapping and transport, now I am aware there are quite a few companies that do all this for you,

But do any of you out there, that have used these services have any good recommendations or horror stories,

jimmy.m
hi jimmy

i moved last year and i used pickfords, (not the cheapest) but they came and packed everything and it all got here and i had no trouble at all they even unpack things for you if you want and they take all the boxes away if you want them to to that. i let them unpack the big stuff but i did the boxes in my own time. they were very helpful in what to bring and what not to, how to clean your stuff (bikes and outdoor stuff).

helen
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi all,
3 seater sofa,
40" LCD,

jimmy.m
Loads of good removal companies out there. Some with good reputations, some not so good. We used Crown and although they have a fantastic reputation, they were useless...worse than useless.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Hi all,
3 seater sofa,
40" LCD,

jimmy.m
Hi

Sell the bed and sofa and lcd, you will pay more to ship than it is to buy new hear, leave the shipping firm to do the packing if you do the packing it will not be insured (read the small print) I used britanniawillis.co.uk 5 years ago it was forty pounds per tea chest very good firm to deal with.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

jimmy.m is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies, all very helpful
Jimmy.m
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:40 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure i read something about Pickfords going into liquidation? or did i dream it
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:43 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mary1967
I'm sure i read something about Pickfords going into liquidation? or did i dream it
Nope not a dream - Pickfords parent company in the US is having trouble and could mean Pickfords UK will be sold - business as usual though for the UK business and the employees (me included!). They are BAR members so people are protected no matter what.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:05 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Nope not a dream - Pickfords parent company in the US is having trouble and could mean Pickfords UK will be sold - business as usual though for the UK business and the employees (me included!). They are BAR members so people are protected no matter what.

That's good to hear.