Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping parcel back to england?

Shipping parcel back to england?

Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping parcel back to england?

Hey,

We have a parcel (60kg) that we need to ship back to England. (Brisbane to Leeds).
We used Crown to ship a full container out here for us but I thought they might be less competitive for one parcel. Has anyone sent a one off parcel back to UK? Any recommendations? At 60kg might not even be cost effective to send it.

Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:23 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping parcel back to england?

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Hey,

We have a parcel (60kg) that we need to ship back to England. (Brisbane to Leeds).
We used Crown to ship a full container out here for us but I thought they might be less competitive for one parcel. Has anyone sent a one off parcel back to UK? Any recommendations? At 60kg might not even be cost effective to send it.

Cheers
Hi - I'd try one of the excess baggage companies like Excess Baggage or Seven Seas, you could maybe compare this to a shipping quote from Aussie Post as well
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:35 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi - I'd try one of the excess baggage companies like Excess Baggage or Seven Seas, you could maybe compare this to a shipping quote from Aussie Post as well
We sent a small package a few Weeks before Christmas and it cost us about 4 times what we expected with Australia post. It was only a 2005 Calendar weighing a few Ounces but it cost us over $10. Shop around.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 11:09 am
ABCDiamond

Aust Post may not be very good on this:

eg: Destination Country: UNITED KINGDOM
Parcel Weight: up to 20 kg (the maximum they quote for)
Air mail $359.00
Economy Air $275.00
Sea mail $154.50

Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E=mc2
We sent a small package a few Weeks before Christmas and it cost us about 4 times what we expected with Australia post. It was only a 2005 Calendar weighing a few Ounces but it cost us over $10. Shop around.
Calendars cost a bomb to send because Oz Post calculate their letter rates by the size of the envelope - anything larger than A4 has to go as a parcel not a letter....hence a steep price rise.
If you're not in a hurry for the stuff, surface mail is a lot cheaper than air.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:55 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Calendars cost a bomb to send because Oz Post calculate their letter rates by the size of the envelope - anything larger than A4 has to go as a parcel not a letter....hence a steep price rise.
If you're not in a hurry for the stuff, surface mail is a lot cheaper than air.

Though if you write "paper material" on envelope you should get a discounted rate (similar to writing 'card' on a b'day/xmas card). I sent a book over (quite heavy) and it only cost me about $3 to do
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:24 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Though if you write "paper material" on envelope you should get a discounted rate (similar to writing 'card' on a b'day/xmas card). I sent a book over (quite heavy) and it only cost me about $3 to do
That seems to depend on who you talk to - one batch of calendars went as 'printed papers' - when I did the second lot the woman said that was only for newspapers!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:49 am
part-time Visa Angel!

That seems to depend on who you talk to - one batch of calendars went as 'printed papers' - when I did the second lot the woman said that was only for newspapers!!!!

Odd - I sent a book and was told to write it on. Probably depends on the mood of the person as much as who you talk to as well
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:53 am
Home and Happy

Odd - I sent a book and was told to write it on. Probably depends on the mood of the person as much as who you talk to as well
And as my local Aus Post Office still has problems accepting a UK passport as proof of identity, they aren't the most helpful place around
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And as my local Aus Post Office still has problems accepting a UK passport as proof of identity, they aren't the most helpful place around
Have you raised this at a higher level with Australia Post (they ought to accept a British passport as proof of ID).

Jeremy
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:42 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you raised this at a higher level with Australia Post (they ought to accept a British passport as proof of ID).

Jeremy
I raise it with the supervisor frequently!! She is fine, she's used to it now, but not all the staff are quite as -err - amenable. One vixen, before Xmas, refused to accept anything except my driving licence. This dissolved into a full scale row with me pointing out I don't HAVE a driving licence, and her yelling at the top of her voice that everyone has one and I should return with that instead of my passport!
As the supervisor approached (again!) to sort it out, a woman in the queue decided to join in and said that she didn't have a driving licence either, and the staff member was of dubious parentage!
Anyone who wants free entertainment, I'll let you know when I go to post my next parcel

I am however considering writing to Oz Post as it is getting tedious having to call the supervisor to point out which buttons to press to accept my ID.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:04 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Thats crazy - I use my DL everytime (at various PO without problem!!) how could they not accept your passport!! :scared: