Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

Old May 24th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

Long story short well will try to my shipper came and have now gone and my container is now on its way,I stored my items previous to them coming for two reasons as my location and my place was not idea for shippers to do there work,ok they would have managed but been 10x harder,and also i wanted to do some jobs around the house and i thought better to take stuff out so i can do it better,i then looked into insurance and see that most shippers charge a lot so did not want to pay there rates,so looked into others and got a company who was happy to insure me,i left them to it while i was there with them but was busy doing other stuff,on say the day they was about to pack the container up i had asked what does pbo mean on them boxes they said packed by owner,i never knew this and i thought they was going to do all the pack,they said there was no point in packing everything up again as it would take so long,but im now worried as they did not pack this,but they did open have a look inside and maybe added some packing paper so is this as good as packed by them?also i had a lot of new items again still flat packed from day one and they just opened had a look inside and wrapped back up again,not even adding extra packing etc again they put on there boxes pbo,im very worried that most of my items maybe not be covered due to the way they have done this.
End of the day i have paid for there severice they are the guys who should know what they are doing and know what needs done and not etc and i just left them too it,i also took out insurance and lets just way above what most would pay for or value there stuff at as i wanted to be covered pretty much everything and even the smallest of things,even my smallest of things which i had a lot when all added up and a high value.so i insured everything to there replacement value etc.
I had also asked any new items to be repacked for customs so they dont look new,they did not do this and left as is saying you might not even be looked at by customs,i thought ever container does get checked by them they said no and they said to be honest you have a 40ft container and they might look at first few boxes at front cmpare with list and let it go is this right.
I even had a buggy and pram i had still to clean wheels on which i said leave to the side and while they was doing other things i can clean them,but they had already packed them away and i asked about them they said dont worry you watching too much tv on customs.
I also asked about what happens to container when it arrives,as i thought when it got there they want it back asap,so they remove all your items from it and return container,they take it all out of container and load into another or into trucks,they said no be the same container that gets delivered to your property,is this right should right it be the same container but i thought the one that leaves uk is required back asap once its at port.
I do feel my packers have cut corners on my shipment and i noticed on my list they made up which is not clear as its only copies that a lot of my already from new fat packed item have pbo on them packed by owner,again they did open and check and packed it away.
I would thing if they have handled them,opened, etc it be them thats liable and also when any boxed i had packed they opened and looked inside and stuck some paper in them again this would be them again,but why put pbo on them boxes i noticed they have pbc on other boxes which i think is packed by company.
Knowing what i know now i should have got them to repack everything as most of my list looks to have pbo on them.
Be good to get some feedback on this please
Old May 24th 2013, 10:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

Originally Posted by brian.w
Long story short well will try to my shipper came and have now gone and my container is now on its way,I stored my items previous to them coming for two reasons as my location and my place was not idea for shippers to do there work,ok they would have managed but been 10x harder,and also i wanted to do some jobs around the house and i thought better to take stuff out so i can do it better,i then looked into insurance and see that most shippers charge a lot so did not want to pay there rates,so looked into others and got a company who was happy to insure me,i left them to it while i was there with them but was busy doing other stuff,on say the day they was about to pack the container up i had asked what does pbo mean on them boxes they said packed by owner,i never knew this and i thought they was going to do all the pack,they said there was no point in packing everything up again as it would take so long,but im now worried as they did not pack this,but they did open have a look inside and maybe added some packing paper so is this as good as packed by them?also i had a lot of new items again still flat packed from day one and they just opened had a look inside and wrapped back up again,not even adding extra packing etc again they put on there boxes pbo,im very worried that most of my items maybe not be covered due to the way they have done this.
End of the day i have paid for there severice they are the guys who should know what they are doing and know what needs done and not etc and i just left them too it,i also took out insurance and lets just way above what most would pay for or value there stuff at as i wanted to be covered pretty much everything and even the smallest of things,even my smallest of things which i had a lot when all added up and a high value.so i insured everything to there replacement value etc.
I had also asked any new items to be repacked for customs so they dont look new,they did not do this and left as is saying you might not even be looked at by customs,i thought ever container does get checked by them they said no and they said to be honest you have a 40ft container and they might look at first few boxes at front cmpare with list and let it go is this right.
I even had a buggy and pram i had still to clean wheels on which i said leave to the side and while they was doing other things i can clean them,but they had already packed them away and i asked about them they said dont worry you watching too much tv on customs.
I also asked about what happens to container when it arrives,as i thought when it got there they want it back asap,so they remove all your items from it and return container,they take it all out of container and load into another or into trucks,they said no be the same container that gets delivered to your property,is this right should right it be the same container but i thought the one that leaves uk is required back asap once its at port.
I do feel my packers have cut corners on my shipment and i noticed on my list they made up which is not clear as its only copies that a lot of my already from new fat packed item have pbo on them packed by owner,again they did open and check and packed it away.
I would thing if they have handled them,opened, etc it be them thats liable and also when any boxed i had packed they opened and looked inside and stuck some paper in them again this would be them again,but why put pbo on them boxes i noticed they have pbc on other boxes which i think is packed by company.
Knowing what i know now i should have got them to repack everything as most of my list looks to have pbo on them.
You worry too much

Some of my boxes I packed myself, and some they packed. I had just about every box opened but that was because they lost a declared item (nunchukas which I had an exemption certificate for). No problems with AQIS or customs - even items that looked newer. I declared a new TV and martial arts gear (which were also bamboo origin) - Total AQIS and customs fees were around $400.

Try not to worry and have a safe journey - when do you leave?
Old May 24th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I would hate to see the long version.I struggled reading the short one.
Old May 25th 2013, 10:47 am
Just Joined

windy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

what's the question (s) ?
Old May 25th 2013, 11:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

t im now worried as they did not pack this,but they did open have a look inside and maybe added some packing paper so is this as good as packed by them?
No - if they didn't pack it then they're not going to take responsibility for any damages to the contents in that box.

Opening a box to look inside is really not the same as packing it.

You say you're worried that your insurance isn't going to cover the self packed boxes - for that, you need to check the wording on the insurance policy to check. As you were having items picked up from storage too then I would have thought you'd have insurance to cover self packed items too?

I know this is going to sound picky, but your posts would be a lot easier to read (and thus you'd probably get more responses) if you used line breaks (and also spaces in between sentences)
Old May 25th 2013, 3:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
No - if they didn't pack it then they're not going to take responsibility for any damages to the contents in that box.

You say you're worried that your insurance isn't going to cover the self packed boxes - for that, you need to check the wording on the insurance policy to check. As you were having items picked up from storage too then I would have thought you'd have insurance to cover self packed items too?

I know this is going to sound picky, but your posts would be a lot easier to read (and thus you'd probably get more responses) if you used line breaks (and also spaces in between sentences)
Absolutely plus he never ever comes back and says thankyou. It drives me bonkers and as a result I don't even bother answering him now.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

The usual rule is, packed by owner, sent at owners risk and uninsured, packed by movers, then their insurance comes into play and you should get compensation for anything broken.
Old May 25th 2013, 10:25 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The usual rule is, packed by owner, sent at owners risk and uninsured, packed by movers, then their insurance comes into play and you should get compensation for anything broken.
Yes, but didn't he say in his OP that he didn't use the removal company's insurance?
Old May 25th 2013, 10:27 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by northernbird
Absolutely plus he never ever comes back and says thankyou. It drives me bonkers and as a result I don't even bother answering him now.
I know, it annoys me too, I don't know why I bother On the other hand, it means I'm subscribed to the thread so I can keep up to date with all his latest goings on.... lmao. It's like picking at a scab, it really is.
Old May 25th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

My stuff was in storage prior to the shipping company coming to pack,my insurance is not from the shipping company but someone else,The shipping company opened boxed checked inside and stuffed some paper inside thats it and marked it as pbo.
There was a lot of stuff, but i did pay for them to pack it all up,and they did not, even items i have brand new still flat packed was opened and checked and tapped back up again with pbo.
This really annoys me as not only did i pay for them to pack my stuff,i also paid well over the amount most would pay for insurance to cover pretty much everything and this might have been a waste of money and im maybe not covered.
Surely as they opened them and placed paper inside and opend packages and moved these about they are responable?
Old May 25th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You worry too much

Some of my boxes I packed myself, and some they packed. I had just about every box opened but that was because they lost a declared item (nunchukas which I had an exemption certificate for). No problems with AQIS or customs - even items that looked newer. I declared a new TV and martial arts gear (which were also bamboo origin) - Total AQIS and customs fees were around $400.

Try not to worry and have a safe journey - when do you leave?
30th may
Old May 25th 2013, 11:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Surely as they opened them and placed paper inside and opend packages and moved these about they are responable?
Nope. You packed the boxes so the boxes are "packed by owner". They're only responsible for boxes they packed. Placing some paper inside does not in any way shape or form mean that they packed the box. You are welcome.

And you might want to go back and read both Northernbird and Dreamy's posts. They'll come in handy in the future. Here's a hint: It's why a lot of us don't bother answering your posts anymore
Old May 25th 2013, 11:27 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

My stuff was in storage prior to the shipping company coming to pack,my insurance is not from the shipping company but someone else,The shipping company opened boxed checked inside and stuffed some paper inside thats it and marked it as pbo.
There was a lot of stuff, but i did pay for them to pack it all up,and they did not, even items i have brand new still flat packed was opened and checked and tapped back up again with pbo.
This really annoys me as not only did i pay for them to pack my stuff,i also paid well over the amount most would pay for insurance to cover pretty much everything and this might have been a waste of money and im maybe not covered.
Did you explain to your insurers that you packed some. I did and that's what my insurance showed.
Old May 25th 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Nope. You packed the boxes so the boxes are "packed by owner". They're only responsible for boxes they packed. Placing some paper inside does not in any way shape or form mean that they packed the box. You are welcome.

And you might want to go back and read both Northernbird and Dreamy's posts. They'll come in handy in the future. Here's a hint: It's why a lot of us don't bother answering your posts anymore
Looks like i over paid the shipper then as they only did half a job and also over paid for my insurance as most of my items will not be covered im not even away yet and this is very annoying i said to them to pack,and i had no idea them writing on boxes pbo was packed by owner,yes they was but only for storage not to be shipped to oz also.

I would like to take this further but i dont want to open a can of worm with the shipping company yet more so when i have dont even know if my stuff will be ok and as for the insurance i paid a lot for this and on pretty much all i owned,but looks like i wasted money on that if pbo items are not covered.
Old May 25th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Did you explain to your insurers that you packed some. I did and that's what my insurance showed.
what do you mean insurance showed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.