Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping New Clothes?

Shipping New Clothes?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Default Shipping New Clothes?

Hi

This might be a silly question, but, does anyone know if we are OK to send clothes in our container that still have the labels on?

We went to Orlando in September and still have t-shirts, shorts etc which we bought which still have the labels on as it's been too cold to wear them.

Should we take all the labels off?

Will we have to pay duty on them if we leave them on?

Thanks.

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping New Clothes?

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi

This might be a silly question, but, does anyone know if we are OK to send clothes in our container that still have the labels on?

We went to Orlando in September and still have t-shirts, shorts etc which we bought which still have the labels on as it's been too cold to wear them.

Thanks.

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
I've got no idea , but would take off the labels just in case.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

I saw a post earlier today (think it was from Pollyana) who said that customs are only interested in items they think you may be looking to sell on when you get to Oz.
That being the case I think I would take then off too.
She suggested a few CD's and low cost items would be OK but if you have quite a few items with tags still on it's best to think about it the way customs may see it.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Longland is an unknown quantity at this point

I would remove them to be on the safe side. It's not as convenient, or as cheap, to get to Orlando from over here. We may soon need to get our Orlando fix as we used to visit 3-4 times per year when we had our house over there.
Russ
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

As an indicator, I can buy clothes over the internet (internationally) and not pay any duty as long as their value is under $1000. However, I did remove the labels from all the new clothes I bought over in our container.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks.

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
We shipped quite a few clothes over. A lot of them still had tags on. All of the clothes where in vacuum packed bags and we weren't charged duty on anything.

Cheers

Steve
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
We shipped quite a few clothes over. A lot of them still had tags on. All of the clothes where in vacuum packed bags and we weren't charged duty on anything.

Cheers

Steve
The official line is anything less than 12 months MAY be liable for tax, but, ahem, take the labels off just to be sure!!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharleneG
I saw a post earlier today (think it was from Pollyana) who said that customs are only interested in items they think you may be looking to sell on when you get to Oz.
That being the case I think I would take then off too.
She suggested a few CD's and low cost items would be OK but if you have quite a few items with tags still on it's best to think about it the way customs may see it.
Yeah, it was me. Cut the tags off, pack them with everything else, you'll be fine. I bring in a years worth of clothes everytime I go home, not been questioned yet
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi

Thanks.

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
Take the labels off, why would you want to keep them on.?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Thanks for all these comments. Based on this, we will probably take the tags off. Didn't want to yet in case they don't fit when we come to wear them ('cos of all barbies and beer!!) and could sell on Ebay as "brand new with tags"!!!!!!

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:24 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Thanks for all these comments. Based on this, we will probably take the tags off. Didn't want to yet in case they don't fit when we come to wear them ('cos of all barbies and beer!!) and could sell on Ebay as "brand new with tags"!!!!!!

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
If you advertise them as brand new with tags you may get customs knocking on your door for importing goods to sell without having paid import duty.

Just a thought.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Jo, Paul & Andrew
xx
Just a thought, if you have already declared them when you entered the UK then you can't pay duty twice, all you have to do is show Aussie customs your HM Customs declaration certificate.

Of course.....if you didn't declare them........then......well.....maybe you ARE a serial clothes importer who dodges taxes to make a profit on sweat shop goods!! lmao!!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
Just a thought, if you have already declared them when you entered the UK then you can't pay duty twice, all you have to do is show Aussie customs your HM Customs declaration certificate.

Of course.....if you didn't declare them........then......well.....maybe you ARE a serial clothes importer who dodges taxes to make a profit on sweat shop goods!! lmao!!!

No, just don't know when to say "no" to a good bargain (or two, or three!!)!!! Also, my husband gets his wallet out on holiday, so it would be rude to say no!!!!

Jo
x
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

No, just don't know when to say "no" to a good bargain (or two, or three!!)!!! Also, my husband gets his wallet out on holiday, so it would be rude to say no!!!!

Jo
x
I know what you mean.
I have a size issue, I go to the States and I can buy designer stuff in big girls sizes that you just can't get here in the UK (imagine going into a Ralph Lauren shop and asking for size 20+)
I also like big boy rapper T shirts - Sean John, Rocawear etc, soooo much choice in the US.
Now OH has discovered internet shopping, we get little treats waiting for us on a regular basis at the Post Office
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Jo
x
Is that the only time he gets it out then?? The wallet I mean!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.