Reload this Page >

Shipping a Musical Instrument

Shipping a Musical Instrument

Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a Musical Instrument

Hi,

I'm looking to get a cello shipped from the UK to Oz and wondered if there are any companies you would recommend? I live in Oz but luckily family are happy to pack it up for me!

Thanks,

Cate
Old Jan 17th 2012, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a Musical Instrument

Originally Posted by Cate502
Hi,

I'm looking to get a cello shipped from the UK to Oz and wondered if there are any companies you would recommend? I live in Oz but luckily family are happy to pack it up for me!

Thanks,

Cate
I shipped my 'cello with Excess Baggage as part of our whole 30 box shipment (and a viola!). I packed the viola tightly in a box I cut to size and stuffed with towels (was in its own hard case). It was fine.

Before I left the UK, I bought a hard case for my 'cello as I only had a soft one previously. I then put fragile stickers on it and labelled it inside and out. I took the bridge out of both as apparently the humidity and heat fluctuations can be disastrous!

I had them both valued before I left and then insured them both with Allianz musical instrument insurance for the trip - it stopped once I had them in my possession again. They were fine, even though the 'cello case strap got broken. I tried not to think about the handling it would have gone through!

I have since had them revalued over here and the string maker I took them to said they have travelled very well so I am happy - he even put the bridge back in for me (was a bit nervous doing it myself).

Hope this helps!! Good luck.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

We've moved with two cellos in hard cases. First time one came on the plane with us in the fragile hold and the other went in the container. The container one fared well, so they both went in the container next time round and were fine.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by itigo
I shipped my 'cello with Excess Baggage as part of our whole 30 box shipment (and a viola!). I packed the viola tightly in a box I cut to size and stuffed with towels (was in its own hard case). It was fine.

Before I left the UK, I bought a hard case for my 'cello as I only had a soft one previously. I then put fragile stickers on it and labelled it inside and out. I took the bridge out of both as apparently the humidity and heat fluctuations can be disastrous!

I had them both valued before I left and then insured them both with Allianz musical instrument insurance for the trip - it stopped once I had them in my possession again. They were fine, even though the 'cello case strap got broken. I tried not to think about the handling it would have gone through!

I have since had them revalued over here and the string maker I took them to said they have travelled very well so I am happy - he even put the bridge back in for me (was a bit nervous doing it myself).

Hope this helps!! Good luck.
Thanks itigo for your detailed reply, that's very helpful. I've contacted Excess Baggage and requested a quote. Good advice about getting the bridge taken out (think I'd also ask somebody to do this for me though!) and getting it insured too. I'm also going to have to buy a hard case as my 'cello is also in a soft case at the moment. Do you mind me asking what make your case is as it obviously survived the transit well?!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kim67
We've moved with two cellos in hard cases. First time one came on the plane with us in the fragile hold and the other went in the container. The container one fared well, so they both went in the container next time round and were fine.
Thanks Kim, did you also get the bridge taken out when they went in the containers? Also do you mind me asking which shipping company you used? Is reassuring to know they all got here in one piece!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kim, did you also get the bridge taken out when they went in the containers? Also do you mind me asking which shipping company you used? Is reassuring to know they all got here in one piece!
No the bridge was left on. They were in hard cases and then packed in international wrap - we used Allied Pickfords.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:41 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

When I came over to Australia with our youth orchestra in 1988 for a 5 week tour we all brought our instruments.

Violins and Violas were all carried as hand luggage (as were smaller woodwinds) but everything else was checked in to the hold. Double basses, Harps and Percussion were hired or borrowed so werent transported.

We did have special luggage concessions from Qantas (booking seats for 120 people on return flights LHR-SYD + BNE-CNS + CNS-LHR will do that!), I cant remember what weight allowances we all had, but certainly cellists werent restricted to 1 single checked in item.

I'm not aware of anyone taking extreme measures like removing bridges, but do remember the tuba players stuffing their bells with jumpers prior to checking in!

I'm sure if you have a decent case, pack your cello well and label it clearly then it'll be fine.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks itigo for your detailed reply, that's very helpful. I've contacted Excess Baggage and requested a quote. Good advice about getting the bridge taken out (think I'd also ask somebody to do this for me though!) and getting it insured too. I'm also going to have to buy a hard case as my 'cello is also in a soft case at the moment. Do you mind me asking what make your case is as it obviously survived the transit well?!
http://www.stentor-music.com/catalog...strings/29.htm

1064, hard but with a material outside (was cheaper than the other option).

127.50 on this UK music shop website.......http://www.normans.co.uk/p-730-stent...ello-case.aspx
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DadAgain
When I came over to Australia with our youth orchestra in 1988 for a 5 week tour we all brought our instruments.

Violins and Violas were all carried as hand luggage (as were smaller woodwinds) but everything else was checked in to the hold. Double basses, Harps and Percussion were hired or borrowed so werent transported.

We did have special luggage concessions from Qantas (booking seats for 120 people on return flights LHR-SYD + BNE-CNS + CNS-LHR will do that!), I cant remember what weight allowances we all had, but certainly cellists werent restricted to 1 single checked in item.

I'm not aware of anyone taking extreme measures like removing bridges, but do remember the tuba players stuffing their bells with jumpers prior to checking in!

I'm sure if you have a decent case, pack your cello well and label it clearly then it'll be fine.
I don't think removing the bridge is that extreme! You just need to make sure the strings are loose enough so that they don't cause too much tension......
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:57 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I don't think removing the bridge is that extreme! You just need to make sure the strings are loose enough so that they don't cause too much tension......
Its extreme when you've got over 50 kids 16-18 years old doing it! When you've got instruments that have been in tension for decades theres no telling whats going to happen when you suddenly let it all go slack. I wouldnt like to remove my bridge unless it was absolutely necessary - I've got a suspicion (perhaps an irational fear?) that wood would move and my soundpost might fall over... As far as I know my viola hasnt had an untensioned bridge since at least 1983 when I bought it!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Its extreme when you've got over 50 kids 16-18 years old doing it! When you've got instruments that have been in tension for decades theres no telling whats going to happen when you suddenly let it all go slack. I wouldnt like to remove my bridge unless it was absolutely necessary - I've got a suspicion (perhaps an irational fear?) that wood would move and my soundpost might fall over... As far as I know my viola hasnt had an untensioned bridge since at least 1983 when I bought it!
Yep, that's why we didn't remove the bridges, we had a bridge replaced by a young apprentice dude at a music store in Dubai and the sound post fell off because he didn't put the bridge back properly. It was then back again to have the sound post replaced.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yep, that's why we didn't remove the bridges, we had a bridge replaced by a young apprentice dude at a music store in Dubai and the sound post fell off because he didn't put the bridge back properly. It was then back again to have the sound post replaced.
I travelled a fair way for the valuation to a master craftsman and he did it for me. Then I had it valued by a maker this end too and he replaced it so I did trust them. I didn't just yank it out!! His point was that I should loosen the strings right off but by doing that I could risk the bridge shifting itself so it was better to let a professional do it.....
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ooh aren't we suddenly a cultured bunch arguing about stringed instrument parts?!!!!!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Ooh aren't we suddenly a cultured bunch arguing about stringed instrument parts?!!!!!
Yes, seem to have started a bit of a debate! Thanks all of you for your advice though. I've now requested quotes from few places. Thanks itigo for the link to the cases too. Will have to decide whether it's worth taking the bridge out
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, seem to have started a bit of a debate! Thanks all of you for your advice though. I've now requested quotes from few places. Thanks itigo for the link to the cases too. Will have to decide whether it's worth taking the bridge out
My 'cello is turn of last century and survived. I went on the advice of a very experienced string maker but feel relieved it was ok after what others have said.....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.