Reload this Page >

Shipping a Motorbike

Shipping a Motorbike

Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

muff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a Motorbike

Hello,

Has anyone any experience of shipping a personal motorbike to Australia?

I am looking for a good company. I have an Excess-Baggage quote at the moment, which includes a custom crate.

Any tips?

Paul.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:52 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

It is posssible - most companies are adept at shipping vehicles, I just didn't think it was worth the cost. If it's a fairly popular model (I owned a YZFR-1 until last week), then I wouldn't bother as you pay shipping, then VAT (GST) and registration costs when it lands. This worked out at over £1000 for me, so I sold mine for £5000 - it was worth maybe £5200 at most, thus leaving me a wad of cash to spend when I land, with no worries of shipping problems or extra bills the other end.

In all, any of the bigger shippers will provide a crate. All you have to do is prep the bike. There are loads of sites that provide details of this - have a search for "Winter storing a motorcycle" - should pull up sites with the same advice.

good luck, Rich.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 6:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a Motorbike

Originally posted by muff
Hello,

I am looking for a good company. I have an Excess-Baggage quote at the moment, which includes a custom crate.

Any tips?

Paul.
before crating, remove fuel ,leave the oil, any parts of bike likly to rub should be wrapped, use ratchet type tie down straps , decrease tyre pressure slightly. get a proffesional bike crate ,most bike importers will sell you one, we find Harley or ducatti seem to make the best............. MM
Old Jul 24th 2003, 8:25 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping a Motorbike

Originally posted by muff
Hello,

Any tips?

Paul.
Tip - don't bother. Sold my R6, get another one for the track when I get there, thank you very much. Plus a WR250 for the dunes of course.

Brand spanking new CBR600RR, £6000, interest free, honda perth. No reason to take a UK bike, unless it's a special or vintage.