Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping malt whisky for personal use....?

Shipping malt whisky for personal use....?

Old Aug 15th 2006, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

the_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nicethe_eastwoods is just really nice
Default Shipping malt whisky for personal use....?

Me and hubby are moving to Brisbane in November and both love a drop of quality single malt. Having ordered a Laphroig in Melbourne and paid £6 for it, we were idly wondering the other day if we could include a case of mixed bottles of nice whiskies in our shipping container. These would be for personal use and would be declared on the shipping inventory.

I've had a look on the AQIS website but can't find anything about whether this is allowed. We would be happy to pay the duty if we knew how much it would be, but just want to be sure that they don't confiscate or even worse, dispose of £400 worth of lovely scotch.

Anyone had any experience of this or can offer advice.

Many thanks in advance,

Sara
Old Aug 15th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping malt whisky for personal use....?

Originally Posted by the_eastwoods
Me and hubby are moving to Brisbane in November and both love a drop of quality single malt. Having ordered a Laphroig in Melbourne and paid £6 for it, we were idly wondering the other day if we could include a case of mixed bottles of nice whiskies in our shipping container. These would be for personal use and would be declared on the shipping inventory.

I've had a look on the AQIS website but can't find anything about whether this is allowed. We would be happy to pay the duty if we knew how much it would be, but just want to be sure that they don't confiscate or even worse, dispose of £400 worth of lovely scotch.

Many thanks in advance,

Sara
Hi Sara, I shipped a lot of wine plus a few bottles of spirits - I declared it and paid import duty + GST for it. No problem. ( I bet if I hadn't declared it they wouldn't have found it as they didn't search the shipment. However, I wanted to be upfront about everything.) I'm sure you won't have a prob with whisky.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:14 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Sara, I shipped a lot of wine plus a few bottles of spirits - I declared it and paid import duty + GST for it. No problem. ( I bet if I hadn't declared it they wouldn't have found it as they didn't search the shipment. However, I wanted to be upfront about everything.) I'm sure you won't have a prob with whisky.
Is the duty & GST a lot?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:45 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_eastwoods

Many thanks in advance,

Sara
Hello there,

Like one of the previous posters said you can just declare it on your shipping and pay the relevant taxes for it.

However, something to consider is this. We were told by Crown, the Australian end, that we should just have opened our malts, take a nip's worth out, and not declared. Highly unlikely, we were told, that they would then tax it.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Hello there,

Like one of the previous posters said you can just declare it on your shipping and pay the relevant taxes for it.

However, something to consider is this. We were told by Crown, the Australian end, that we should just have opened our malts, take a nip's worth out, and not declared. Highly unlikely, we were told, that they would then tax it.
I agree

Wish i had done the same, not that i had a lot to take over but an Aberdonian doesn't like to give away anything, especially a good malt!!! :scared:

I think the customs etc are more interested in finding hard drugs and things that could destroy crops etc as opposed to a few bottles of whisky.

Your choice.....but i would do it diffirently a year on.......