Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping a leather sofa

Shipping a leather sofa

Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Ficklefish is on a distinguished road
Question Shipping a leather sofa

Wondered whether anyone can advise on the issue of shipping a leather sofa to Oz.

Is there some sort of Certificate to provide for customs inspections? Is it something the retailer/manufacturer needs to be contacted for?

Ff
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:28 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a leather sofa

Originally Posted by Ficklefish
Wondered whether anyone can advise on the issue of shipping a leather sofa to Oz.

Is there some sort of Certificate to provide for customs inspections? Is it something the retailer/manufacturer needs to be contacted for?

Ff

hi f

good post, i also want to take my leather sofa, (calfs skin) didnt think that it might be a problem tho......let me know what you find out.

thanks

laura
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Shipping a leather sofa

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi f

good post, i also want to take my leather sofa, (calfs skin) didnt think that it might be a problem tho......let me know what you find out.

thanks

laura

Will do; think mine is "full grain brushed leather" to quote the manufacturer. Hopefully will be no problem but Australian quarantine may say otherwise. Might be someone who has had experience of this.

Ff
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:09 pm
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future

Hiya

We shipped both of our Italian leather sofa's out here in August and have had no problems at all. You have to declare them on your forms but ours went through the checks here fine.

Vickeyvixen
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:16 pm
Cheeky

Hi there!!

Great thread!!

We have 2 leather sofas to take that are only a few months old so it looks like no probs then??....GOOD!!

My worries are some antiques I have. Although I have done a little research I am gonna have to find out more info.....I sense a nightmare!!

But there you go!!!

Regards, Cheeky!!!

Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:18 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi
We came over in August and bought our 2 leather sofa's with us, no problems whatsoever, I was worried of them drying out too much in the container in the heat, it may be a good idea to have them mosturised before they are sent. I was going to buy some leather care cream but forgot, but they arrived ok. Maybe if its summer down this way it may be worth thinking about, dont know what temperature our container got too.
As for them getting checked I don't even think they looked at them, they certainly where not checked by quarantine as it was not highlighted on our inventory. They must know that all modern leather is treated.
Jenny
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:05 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Hi
We came over in August and bought our 2 leather sofa's with us, no problems whatsoever, I was worried of them drying out too much in the container in the heat, it may be a good idea to have them mosturised before they are sent. I was going to buy some leather care cream but forgot, but they arrived ok. Maybe if its summer down this way it may be worth thinking about, dont know what temperature our container got too.
As for them getting checked I don't even think they looked at them, they certainly where not checked by quarantine as it was not highlighted on our inventory. They must know that all modern leather is treated.
Jenny

thanks dudes

laura
Old Oct 13th 2004, 4:18 pm
ODDBALL

Our things were collected on Monday this week and 2 Italian leather sofas were very well wrapped and put onto the container bound for Brisbane, the shipping guys did not see a problem and they told me that they are sending a dozen settees a month to Australia.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Shipping a leather sofa

Originally Posted by ODDBALL
Our things were collected on Monday this week and 2 Italian leather sofas were very well wrapped and put onto the container bound for Brisbane, the shipping guys did not see a problem and they told me that they are sending a dozen settees a month to Australia.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Oddball - just out of interest, which shipping company did you use?

I know there are loads of threads on this subject, but would be interested to know as sounds like they treated your sofas well!

Ff
Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:29 pm
ODDBALL

Originally Posted by Ficklefish
Oddball - just out of interest, which shipping company did you use?
Hi, we used Britannia http://www.britannia-movers.co.uk/ who were excellent from start to finish. They were not the cheapest quote we had but they seemed the most professional.

Lets hope the stuff turns up Ok. :-)

They told me they used a company called Crown to do the unloading the other end, has anyone heard of them? are they good at what they do?

Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gargar
No problem on shipping leather sofas. If you are looking for a shipper check out http:www.bargateinternational.com for a door-to-door service.
You wouldn't be advertising your own company there would you....!!! At least be honest and admit it, rather than making it look like just another recommendation

Re the earlier comment over shipping leather sofas and the heat - the heat here is just as probably bad as in the container on occasion!
Personally I've never been a fan of leather sofas, so I really don't know the answer to this - but in the heat won't you tend to stick to them when sitting? Or is the idea that you act like Queenslanders, cover them with bits of old curtain so they look really tatty, and then sit on the curtain? Apparently covering them in old curtain stops them fading, not that enough sun gets through the drawn curtains to fade anything anyway, but there you go! Qld logic!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:15 pm
Cheeky

Hi there!

Dont you have air conditioning??????!!!!!!

Cheeky!!

Personally I've never been a fan of leather sofas, so I really don't know the answer to this - but in the heat won't you tend to stick to them when sitting? Or is the idea that you act like Queenslanders, cover them with bits of old curtain so they look really tatty, and then sit on the curtain? Apparently covering them in old curtain stops them fading, not that enough sun gets through the drawn curtains to fade anything anyway, but there you go! Qld logic![/QUOTE]

Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi there!

Dont you have air conditioning??????!!!!!!

Cheeky!!
Ours is so cold I spend my life freezing to death - I was honestly warmer in the UK in Otober - The Bloke can't seem to find the off switch!
It just a personal thing I guess, I prefer soft fabric - snuggly - ones!