Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Items Less Than A Year Old

Shipping Items Less Than A Year Old

Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:25 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Items Less Than A Year Old

Been looking at the AQIS forms for our shipping this week and it asks us to list everything we will be shippin gthat is less than 12 months old.

How specific do we need to be here? We all obviously got stuff for Christmas and a few bits of PC kit have been added to Mike's collection, not to mention new clothes we've bought within the year

Confused
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:01 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Items Less Than A Year Old

Originally Posted by herrchook
Been looking at the AQIS forms for our shipping this week and it asks us to list everything we will be shippin gthat is less than 12 months old.

How specific do we need to be here? We all obviously got stuff for Christmas and a few bits of PC kit have been added to Mike's collection, not to mention new clothes we've bought within the year

Confused
unless it is something of huge value I wouldnt bother...we didnt, how are you supposed to know how old stuff is
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They're only interested in big/expensive stuff - lots of electronics that could be for resale, that sort of thing. Don't worry about your clothes and the small stuff
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I think they are only interested in big expensive stuff or stuff that you might sell on. I wouldn't worry too much about the small stuff like clothes and presents.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:55 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Confused

Don't leave it in the wrapper and that way it could be two years old. I think they are more interested in the ten new microwaves that you are looking to resell when you get here....not declaring means they don't get their cut.

I think.....We had no problems.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:59 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to ask this as well so cheers herrchook for starting the thread.

Re the 'big' electrical stuff we were given a new Henry Hoover for Xmas as our old one blew up. Should I put that down?

Also off topic - my daughter has got a 'Dreamcatcher' which has got feathers on it although these are listed as 'manufactured feathers'. AQIS doesn't make it clear whether this should be declared.

I'm thinking of taking it in the suitcase and declaring it when we arrive and if they confiscate it then that's it. Has anyone taken anything like this in before?

Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suzy

Re the 'big' electrical stuff we were given a new Henry Hoover for Xmas as our old one blew up. Should I put that down?

Also off topic - my daughter has got a 'Dreamcatcher' which has got feathers on it although these are listed as 'manufactured feathers'. AQIS doesn't make it clear whether this should be declared.

I'm thinking of taking it in the suitcase and declaring it when we arrive and if they confiscate it then that's it. Has anyone taken anything like this in before?

Thanks
I declared 2 new sofas and attached a copy of the receipt, other smaller stuff I didn't bother declaring. I would declare the hoover, they probably won't bother asking for the duty payable as it would be minimal. With the dreamcatcher, I think taking it in your case is a good idea.
As others have said, customs just want their cut of the duty payable on items you may sell for commercial gain, it isn't financially viable for them to get every last cent...
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:38 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Shipping Items Less Than A Year Old

Thanks
We had a guy round for a quote for a container yesterday, I have a few cushions with feathers around the edges and I asked if this was okay to send and he said they would be fine, also I cheekily asked if we bought a new washing machine (cos apparently oz ones are rubbish) would we have to declare it - but he said if we took it out of the original packaging and they packed it in their stuff it would be fine . Hope this helps.
Clairex
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
We had a guy round for a quote for a container yesterday, I have a few cushions with feathers around the edges and I asked if this was okay to send and he said they would be fine, also I cheekily asked if we bought a new washing machine (cos apparently oz ones are rubbish) would we have to declare it - but he said if we took it out of the original packaging and they packed it in their stuff it would be fine . Hope this helps.
Clairex
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but did read somewhere that you only pay GST on new things that you have bought yourself not on "presents" but could have got it wrong.

Lol x
Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:50 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies.

Decision made. MY FIL is writing a letter saying he bought us the Henry for a present so I will declare it but hopefully no tax to be paid and the dreamcatcher is going in the suitcase.

xx
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Confused
hello all
just take it out of the box,how will they know its not a year old? but dont forget that if anything stops working can you get the parts for it ??
Dave
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:12 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies.

Decision made. MY FIL is writing a letter saying he bought us the Henry for a present so I will declare it but hopefully no tax to be paid and the dreamcatcher is going in the suitcase.

xx
Or you could just not bother. Might I suggest that someone I know (!) realised that a Dyson would cost me...err..my friend considerably more to buy in Australia so bought one and just took it out the box.

As mentioned before nobody is going to really give a stuff so no point getting anal about it. Its about whether you are shipping goods in to resell.

If you think about it all declaring silly little things is going to achieve is a few days more delay whilst its checked and the duty has to paid if you get Mr Jobsworth the customs bloke.

My friend never had any issues with that....
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Or you could just not bother. Might I suggest that someone I know (!) realised that a Dyson would cost me...err..my friend considerably more to buy in Australia so bought one and just took it out the box.

As mentioned before nobody is going to really give a stuff so no point getting anal about it. Its about whether you are shipping goods in to resell.

If you think about it all declaring silly little things is going to achieve is a few days more delay whilst its checked and the duty has to paid if you get Mr Jobsworth the customs bloke.

My friend never had any issues with that....
....and my - err - friend bought a new computer about 4 months before emigrating, took it out of the box, used it a bit, still looked new though. It arrived by airfreight, and my friend's fiance was there when Customs inspected it. Didn't bat an eyelid, just let it in with no charge. Far as I know its still giving valuable service 4 years later.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:04 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice guys. You've put my mind at rest.

Gill
Old Mar 11th 2007, 4:52 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by njk435
I declared 2 new sofas and attached a copy of the receipt, other smaller stuff I didn't bother declaring. I would declare the hoover, they probably won't bother asking for the duty payable as it would be minimal. With the dreamcatcher, I think taking it in your case is a good idea.
As others have said, customs just want their cut of the duty payable on items you may sell for commercial gain, it isn't financially viable for them to get every last cent...
Did you have to pay anything on the two sofas ou declared?