Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping from Ireland to Oz

Shipping from Ireland to Oz

Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Shipping from Ireland to Oz

I've just had 5 quotes for moving about 4/5 cu mts of personal possessions.

The prices I was quoted were as follows:-

Sea Freight 4 cu mtrs €2443 + prices exclude the quarantine / customs examination fees - door to door

Sea Freight 150 cu ft €2154.00 + everything included - door to door

Sea Freight 5.5 cu mtrs €3420.00 + everything included - door to city of Melbourne

Sea Freight 4 cu mtrs €1,035 + port expenses of €717 = €1,742 + everything included - door to door

and finally

Air Freight by weight and volume + everything included €1956.83

Air Freight quote broken down as follows:-

Freight Euro 1341.00
A/Handling Euro 43.66
War Risk Euro 66.45
Fuel Euro 265.80
Security Euro 39.87
Collection Euro 100.00
Customs Clearance Euro 45.00
Delivery to Airport, check weigh etc Euro 55.00

I think we could be going for air freight. Sea freight will take upwards of 8 weeks plus and air freight I can collect from the airport the same day it arrives.

Obviously these quotes do not include fumigation etc which customs may well insist upon.

Anyone got any comments? I'd love to hear what you think.

Trish
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping from Ireland to Oz

Does this consist of individual tea chests or are there large items?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
Does this consist of individual tea chests or are there large items?
Sorry I should have said. It consists of the following

Pack 1 Book Carton: (L45cmx W45cmx H25cm) by 11
Pack 2 Medium Carton: (L45cmx W45cmx H45cm) by 12
Pack 3 Utility Carton: (L45cmx W45cmx H68cm) x 7

Plus 4 mountain bikes.

Trish
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

I suppose it really depends on whether you are buying container space or just using excess baggage service. There are a few websites that will show you prices online.

e.g.
http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com
http://www.shippingpersonaleffects.c...or_prices.html

But again they really only do boxes too. Not container space. So sending a bed or a favorite piece of furniture is an unknown. Are any of your quotes container space?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose it really depends on whether you are buying container space or just using excess baggage service. There are a few websites that will show you prices online.

e.g.
http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com
http://www.shippingpersonaleffects.c...or_prices.html

But again they really only do boxes too. Not container space. So sending a bed or a favorite piece of furniture is an unknown. Are any of your quotes container space?
They are all groupage so yes container space. Apparently they will palletise everything, shrink wrap the pallet and then ship.

No furniture at all going just boxes of personal effects.

Seven seas wouldn't even give me a quote.

Trish
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

I think these are quiet good. Especially airfreight. Would you share these companies with me? I hav'nt come across anybody willing to quote palletised shipments yet?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think these are quiet good. Especially airfreight. Would you share these companies with me? I hav'nt come across anybody willing to quote palletised shipments yet?
Of course I will. I didn't post the company names as I wasn't sure if I was allowed to. In hindsight, the fact that I'm not saying anything good or bad about them means I probably can post their details.

Let me arrange them in order in word and I'll post them on here in a 15 mins or so.

Trish
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

5 quotes for moving about 4/5 cu mts of personal possessions. I found them all on the internet. Even when a company didn't state on their site that they shipped to Australia I phoned them up and asked - nearly all of them did so it's def worth shopping around.

The prices - companies and contacts are as follows:-

Shipping Personal Effects - Paul Regan - Sea Freight 4 cu mtrs €2443 + prices exclude the quarantine / customs examination fees - door to door

Careline - Sinead McGuire - Sea Freight 150 cu ft €2154.00 + everything included - door to door

AMC Removals - Sue Stewart - Sea Freight 5.5 cu mtrs €3420.00 + everything included - door to city of Melbourne

Hawthorn Logistics - Rochelle Wheeler - Sea Freight 4 cu mtrs €1,035 + port expenses of €717 = €1,742 + everything included - door to door

Eastway Logistics - Don Cusack - Air Freight by weight and volume + everything included €1956.83

Eastway Logistics - Don Cusack - Sea Freight - willing to quote for sea freight if required.

Trish
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Much Appreciated. I'm sure there are plenty of Irish members interested in this type of information.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Much Appreciated. I'm sure there are plenty of Irish members interested in this type of information.
Your welcome.

Trish
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Anyone ever use OMAN?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

movinghome2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I was reading the thread and thought it was very coincindental as I decided to emigrate to melbourne and I also got similar quotes but I used your thread as a guide as it gave me an idea of what to ask for

I had 6cubic metres to move and when I rang I used this thread just to see that I was being quoted fairly. Some of the movers on your list didn't get back to me but Seemingly there are various ways to get prices, you can ship in a "liftvan" and seemingly this is a wooden crate which the movers load your stuff into, it is pricey as the movers told me that it has to be fumigated so it is more expensive as this is one of the rules for Australia. Also fumigation can be pricey but they also gave me the alternative to pay the quarantine locally in Australia if I wished. AMC gave me 2 options to show the different service but I am not sure if you got many variations of services but it gave me the choice to choose which suited me as some options were dearer than others.

Alternatively you can ship loose by groupage and this is cheaper as you don't have to use the crate so you save money and this is the option I went with. I eventually went with AMC removals as they were very professional and quoted me Euro2880 and all is en route now at present. They werent the cheapest quote I got but they were the quickest and most efficient at replying to me with all my questions that I bombarded them with and I feel that you cannot buy that service.
They gave me all I needed for customs and to date have emailed me regularly with updates on how my stuff is progressing which is helpful. I dealt with the same person as you Sue Stewart and I find her very helpful. She also gave me her mobile number so I could call her if I had any questions becuase of the time difference between Ireland and Oz. this gave me huge piece of mind. Shipment is due to arrive in Oz on 19th Dec so fingers crossed will get it by christmas! Jason.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scrum
5 quotes for moving about 4/5 cu mts of personal possessions. I found them all on the internet. Even when a company didn't state on their site that they shipped to Australia I phoned them up and asked - nearly all of them did so it's def worth shopping around.

The prices - companies and contacts are as follows:-

Shipping Personal Effects - Paul Regan - Sea Freight 4 cu mtrs €2443 + prices exclude the quarantine / customs examination fees - door to door

Careline - Sinead McGuire - Sea Freight 150 cu ft €2154.00 + everything included - door to door

AMC Removals - Sue Stewart - Sea Freight 5.5 cu mtrs €3420.00 + everything included - door to city of Melbourne

Hawthorn Logistics - Rochelle Wheeler - Sea Freight 4 cu mtrs €1,035 + port expenses of €717 = €1,742 + everything included - door to door

Eastway Logistics - Don Cusack - Air Freight by weight and volume + everything included €1956.83

Eastway Logistics - Don Cusack - Sea Freight - willing to quote for sea freight if required.

Trish
Hi Trish,

Thanks for that info. Friends of ours used Eastway Logistics and she said they were brilliant. She would highly reccomend them. I spoke to the guy there and we intend on using them when we go early next year. She had no problems at the airport. They just picked them up and took them home!!