Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping & Insurance...

Shipping & Insurance...

Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping & Insurance...

In a previous thread it was mooted that it's not worth paying for the insurance when you ship your precious possessions out to NZ or Oz as the insurance policies aren't worth the paper they're written on and if you have to claim you hardly get anything back.

What's the consensus on this? Is it really worth tasking the risk and sending it uninsured?

Ben
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'd be interested in people's experiences - especially those who have had to make claims. We're currently in the process of deciding what of our possessions to insure. When you speak to the shipping companies they always reassure us that the ship sinking is one in a million, and I'm sure that damages if any are only going to be for a few items - where the cost of replacement/mending is still likely to be less than your insurance premium.

Any comments are welcome!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Wanted to bring this near the top again, as I'm so blinkin confused about insurance, - I can't see the benefits really. The items we want to insure most are electrical so won't probably be insured if they no longer work when we arrive.

What is one actually insured for at the end of the day?

Any comments from claimants who reckon insurance is worth it would be grateful, as I just don't know what to insure any more!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember reading something along the same lines a few weeks ago,apparently migrants had paid for their stuff to be shipped out to Aus by credit card,company who moved them went bust whilst furniture was in transit .When they enquired about their goods at other end they were told they would have to pay full costs a second time as everybody else hadn't been paid.Luckily for these people they found out that because they had paid by credit card,it's insurance covered the shipping costs etc in full.Does/would this apply in the case of the ship sinking or falling victim to piracy which is on the increase in indian ocean region apparently Hope this helps somebody.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:10 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping & Insurance...

Originally posted by Ben.M
In a previous thread it was mooted that it's not worth paying for the insurance when you ship your precious possessions out to NZ or Oz as the insurance policies aren't worth the paper they're written on and if you have to claim you hardly get anything back.

What's the consensus on this? Is it really worth tasking the risk and sending it uninsured?

Ben
I think i have covered this before, most insurance companies will not touch a Removal company, and if they do the premiums are crippling, thus many moving companies are SELF insurers our company has an insurance pool, which every branch pays in to yearly,this can amount to Millions. Claims are paid out of this,what is not used is distributed back, and goes in the branch profits, the pool is maintained at a workable level, if you insure your goods for 100,000dollars your premium, will cost you $1000 if theres no claims,that 1000 goe,s to the originating branch profits, so we try very hard to keep a clean slate,the branchs with poor skills soon get pulled into line. MM
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:22 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

We insured our goods, god knows why, when they are supposed to be professional moving companies!
You even have to insure the sum of your moving costs! what a joke!
But accidents do happen, have a look at this.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Shipping & Insurance...-damage.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:25 pm
WBB

Originally posted by garrisondamn
We insured our goods, god knows why, when they are supposed to be professional moving companies!
You even have to insure the sum of your moving costs! what a joke!
But accidents do happen, have a look at this.
Good luck.

nice pic most of the containers at the bottom are completely destroyed.
some poor bugger had a shock :scared:

Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr mover we have already sent our stuff off to Aus it will be transported to our new home within a 30 mile radias of the port of arrival.As we are not there yet and have not got a home how do we pay and how is it calculated if we are say 60 miles from port? By the way any jobs going in your place I did removal for 5 years and loved it(crazy I know)
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Garrisondam I told my Mrs not to put so many ornaments in that box:scared:
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:14 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chris hogan
Mr mover we have already sent our stuff off to Aus it will be transported to our new home within a 30 mile radias of the port of arrival.As we are not there yet and have not got a home how do we pay and how is it calculated if we are say 60 miles from port? By the way any jobs going in your place I did removal for 5 years and loved it(crazy I know)
were are you heading for, ? the company your removal company is using in oz will let you know about your payments. when you deal with your company in oz Just talk to the operations manager,you will find that if your as experienced [5yrs] as you say you will have no problems ,we find it hard getting good people, the young ones here dont want to work.......... MM
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry MM I should have said we are going to Perth.I lived in Elizabeth as a child we left in '71.I married an Aussie 18 years ago here in U.K.It's taken her this long to get me back there on a spouse visa.Cheers for the advice .
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

I think i have covered this before, most insurance companies will not touch a Removal company, and if they do the premiums are crippling, thus many moving companies are SELF insurers our company has an insurance pool, which every branch pays in to yearly,this can amount to Millions. Claims are paid out of this,what is not used is distributed back, and goes in the branch profits, the pool is maintained at a workable level, if you insure your goods for 100,000dollars your premium, will cost you $1000 if theres no claims,that 1000 goe,s to the originating branch profits, so we try very hard to keep a clean slate,the branchs with poor skills soon get pulled into line. MM
Thanks MM but the question was is it worth taking out insurance in the first place or risk sending it uninsured? Some people on this board who have had to make claims have said they don't think it's worth it...

Ben
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Ben,

I remember the post, it went some thing like "don't insure your goods as it is like the bank asking you to insure your money why it holds it for you",

With this in mind, we are only picking specific things we are going to insure such as our suite and antiques the rest is replacable.

Gong with Anglo Pacific and they allow you to do this.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Morning Carrianne. My understanding was that if you pick and choose the items to insure and have to make a claim, the insurer will reduce the payout pro rata by the value of the goods you have insured divided by the total had you insured the lot.

Having said that, I do remember an Anglo Pacific rep at one of the shows saying that you don't have to insure everything.

I hope you are right and I'm wrong as this would be a much more cost effective way to do it.

Ben
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

No I don't think Ben, But I will dig deeper before I instruct them. This is what we are doing anyway.

Carrianne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.