Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Info....FAQ......PART 1

Shipping Info....FAQ......PART 1

Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:23 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping Info....FAQ......PART 1

Originally Posted by lazylou123
hi

just how clean does everything need to be, we are bringing across 5 bikes and my husband is a mechanic so all his tools will be coming aswell. will he need to clean every tool and his tool cabinets

thanks for any info

Louisa
Yes unless you want a hefty cleaning bill over here. For 4 pine cones found in our shipment (oversight thought I had removed them all) we were going to be charged $250 to clean or $50 to destroy. Not cheap

Jo
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

don't confuse cleaning bikes and tools with fumigation or gama radiation cleaning of organic matter like pine cones.

Totally different risk levels, as long as no soil on bikes or tools its ok.

the AQIS website only lists garden tools as of concern because of soil potential. My hand and power tools were not given any attention and I cleared them myself with quarantine.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:03 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
don't confuse cleaning bikes and tools with fumigation or gama radiation cleaning of organic matter like pine cones.

Totally different risk levels, as long as no soil on bikes or tools its ok.

the AQIS website only lists garden tools as of concern because of soil potential. My hand and power tools were not given any attention and I cleared them myself with quarantine.
what about christmas decorations that are made of feathers???
i have a few things, that are obviously highly processed and i want to keep them, but not if they will cost me...
i don't want to throw it out "just in case"...
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Xmas decorations seem to be treated as items of concern normally because of things like pine cones!

but feathers also on the items of concern list with AQIS so I would think they would definately inspect and charge for treatment/destruction.

I have recently emailed AQIS about feathers in quilts and pillows as we have some expensice quilts that we would not want to throw/give away before we go! (even though prob too warm for sunshine coast anyway!)
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

What about if you do not have a known address prior to shipping? Anyone any ideas on storage costs, or is it practical to have packing done before you leave, then can they collect from a UK address at a later date when you have an Oz address for them to be shipped to? Got to get a couple of quotes; Robinsons and Fox, does anyone have any expereince of these companies please?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
Xmas decorations seem to be treated as items of concern normally because of things like pine cones!

but feathers also on the items of concern list with AQIS so I would think they would definately inspect and charge for treatment/destruction.

I have recently emailed AQIS about feathers in quilts and pillows as we have some expensice quilts that we would not want to throw/give away before we go! (even though prob too warm for sunshine coast anyway!)
Feathers are like pine cones and are a no-no.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough

Great information on here, don't know what I would've done without BE over the last year

The packers are coming 2 weeks today and I'm gutted I can't bring all my feather duvets and pillows though, I thought I just had to declare them on the form
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Storage costs as normally calculated on CM3, most companies require 1 handling cost and a months storage minimum, then you can pay week by week for as long as you require.

I have many clients that ship their goods without a AUS address, its not a problem, as I have said before, the ball part figure from your container landing in Port and being delivered is 3-4 weeks, sometime a little quicker, but not normally, this time of year, the shipping industry is going into "the busy" so expect a few more delays, this time is normally Nov-Feb.

After all paperwork is lodged its out of my hands and in the hands of Customs and AQIS, as said before I can do NOTHING about any delays with these guys, nor can I do anything about any orders AQIS give about cleaning or destruction of goods, I just have to do as I am told, I tell me clients as soon as I have the paperwork what the outcome of their AQIS inspection is.

It is always cheaper to destroy any articles that AQIS hold.

The other thing people may not be aware of if any items that you do have treated, after completion of treatment MUST be collected from our depot, it cannot be delivered to you. Please keep this is mind if AQIS hold large items.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Sally
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:33 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by invictia

OK, you arrive in Australia, normally before your consignment, you get sent a nice letter and a Invoice for the Customs charges to an Australian address that you give your UK agent before you leave.

Am I in a pickle here?

All I got from my shippers was a "bill of laden". No letter...

What letter is it that I'm missing, because I can chase it up if need be.

bit worried....

</IMG></IMG>
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Jillaroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the info, a really useful post. I wonder if you could give me some advice please..... I'm still waiting for my permanent visa to be granted (175) which probably won't be until next Feb/March, but I'm flying out to Oz next month on a tourist visa, then will hop over to NZ when hopefully the visa is granted. I have a suitcase and a backpack that I wish to ship to Oz as excess baggage (just clothes, shoes, photos & CD's) but I was thinking of sending them out next month so hopefully their arrival will coincide with my visa being granted (I do realise it's a bit risky doing this!). As I understand it, if I don't have a permanent residency visa no. then I may be liable to paying duty on my belongings? Please could you clarify this for me, and also tell me roughly how much this would be (say the items are worth $200). Alternatively, would it be best to leave my bags with a friend in the UK, then ask them to ship them out to me when I have a visa no. ?

Many thanks :-)
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jillaroo
Hi Sally,

Thanks for the info, a really useful post. I wonder if you could give me some advice please..... I'm still waiting for my permanent visa to be granted (175) which probably won't be until next Feb/March, but I'm flying out to Oz next month on a tourist visa, then will hop over to NZ when hopefully the visa is granted. I have a suitcase and a backpack that I wish to ship to Oz as excess baggage (just clothes, shoes, photos & CD's) but I was thinking of sending them out next month so hopefully their arrival will coincide with my visa being granted (I do realise it's a bit risky doing this!). As I understand it, if I don't have a permanent residency visa no. then I may be liable to paying duty on my belongings? Please could you clarify this for me, and also tell me roughly how much this would be (say the items are worth $200). Alternatively, would it be best to leave my bags with a friend in the UK, then ask them to ship them out to me when I have a visa no. ?

Many thanks :-)
DOn't know if this is any help for you, but have you thought about excess baggage shipping? Here's a web address for you to have a gander at
http://www.excess-baggage.com/
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Jillaroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tasmas
DOn't know if this is any help for you, but have you thought about excess baggage shipping? Here's a web address for you to have a gander at
http://www.excess-baggage.com/
Thanks for that Tasmas.... yes I've already phoned excessbaggage for a quote although I found Anglo Pacific to be slightly cheaper. They said they will ship my belongings without a visa no. but warned me about the possible charges when clearing customs, though they weren't able to give me any more detail than that. Any ideas anyone?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:31 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Feathers are like pine cones and are a no-no.
the really annoying hting about that is- that some of the expensive handbags i have that have feathers on them....i actually bought in australia last time we were out there on a trip, and brought them back here with no problems!!!
its annoying i will have to dispose of them ,when they came from there in the first place!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Any ideas on a didgeridoo that we bought on our reccie in January? Think it is probably a no no and am planning to give it to the in laws for Xmas but just wondering if anyone got one in OK.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

AQIS website does say any wooden items, even those originally purchased in oz are treated as 'foreign' once they have been offshore I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.