Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping help/advice please!

Shipping help/advice please!

Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Smile Shipping help/advice please!

Hi
We have front loaded our medicals and police checks 2 weeks before xmas and received the letter requesting medicals dated 19th december to have medicals etc by 19th jan. Sooo visa agent reckons it could be 2-3 weeks before we get our visa!

We are looking at going to Oz April time (between april and june anyway!) probably but was wondering when the best time is to get shippers in to give quotes and choose one?

I've got several BE posts saved re good and bad shippers but they are about a year old so was wondering who the best shipper is - easiest to deal with/doesn't break your stuff and packs things properly!

Had a nightmare with Pickfords a couple of years ago where they packed and stored my stuff then delivered it. The didn't pack it properly (got some yts kids in for free) - 1 piece of paper around 10 plates and stuff shoved in boxes, we found the contents of the bin in the kitchen mixed up with toys and tools. Half the stuff was broken/damaged and the other half had either gone walkabout or was mouldy from damp in storage! And they had the cheek to take us to court cos we refused to pay them!

Anyway - I am understandably worried about our stuff and want a shipping company who'll take as much care of it as if it were there own - if possible!

Please can you let me know your good/bad experiences so I have an idea?

Many thanks
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping help/advice please!

Any of the big ones. We used Crown. Interdean, Allied Pickfords and the other big names mentioned on this site are all good.

All are likely to have problems with the packing, shipping or unpacking. You can read about some of the horrors in this site, but in general the big companies will be dependable on whe whole. We had some breakages but minimal. Crown sorted out and we had items replaced & fixed.

Pick 3 or 4 companies and get quotes from each. Quiz each on how they do everything etc.

Don't be swayed by the sales guy in how you get on with them - look at the services that they are providing.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Mouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping help/advice please!

I think this is excellent advice. I obtained a number of quotes and had a number of salesman visit. Some were unprofessional, some unprepared and others a bit too pushy.
Crown appeared head and shoulders above the rest. They weren't the cheapest but appeared to be the most professional. The guys that came to pack everything were fantastic and everything arrived in perfect condition.
Couldn't really fault them at all.