Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping a elderly dog...update

Shipping a elderly dog...update

Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping a elderly dog...update

Just wanted to share this story with you

When i decided to move to Australia my one dog (Mindy) Labrador x Whippet was just on 17 years old.

I took her to the vet to see what he thought about moving her over here with our other dog (Sky) Whippet 7 years old and the vet decided he could see no reason for her not to come.

I had all the jabs etc done and arranged for them to go with Golden Arrow shippers (fantastic people and service), but all the time I had this nagging feeling about taking such an old dog.

They left the UK and arrived at Sydney Quarantine station on the 6th July 2004. I called the station every few days to be told how well they were both doing.

It was great to see them again after a month and bring them home to the Gold Coast.

Mindy has just celebrated her 19th birthday by having a swim on Currunbin Beach.....she is awesome. She goes for a walk every day, swims in the local pond...chases parrots and bosses Sky around no end.

The heat has helped her arthritis....she doesn't have any drugs just a really good diet and loads of attention.

I have tried to get her to sleep in the house at night but she prefers to be outside in the kennel with the other dogs (my partner has a blue cattle dog Jake).

All in all I cannot believe how well she is doing. She is very grey on her muzzle now but still has her shiny black coat.

I am so glad I made the decision to bring her with me. It seems to have given her a new lease on life and long may it continue.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping a elderly dog...update

Originally Posted by BandS

When i decided to move to Australia my one dog (Mindy) Labrador x Whippet was just on 17 years old.

I took her to the vet to see what he thought about moving her over here with our other dog (Sky) Whippet 7 years old and the vet decided he could see no reason for her not to come.

I had all the jabs etc done and arranged for them to go with Golden Arrow shippers (fantastic people and service), but all the time I had this nagging feeling about taking such an old dog.

They left the UK and arrived at Sydney Quarantine station on the 6th July 2004. I called the station every few days to be told how well they were both doing.

It was great to see them again after a month and bring them home to the Gold Coast.

Mindy has just celebrated her 19th birthday by having a swim on Currunbin Beach.....she is awesome. She goes for a walk every day, swims in the local pond...chases parrots and bosses Sky around no end.

The heat has helped her arthritis....she doesn't have any drugs just a really good diet and loads of attention.

I have tried to get her to sleep in the house at night but she prefers to be outside in the kennel with the other dogs (my partner has a blue cattle dog Jake).

All in all I cannot believe how well she is doing. She is very grey on her muzzle now but still has her shiny black coat.

I am so glad I made the decision to bring her with me. It seems to have given her a new lease on life and long may it continue.
Glad to here she settled well, when I came over 7 years ago I had 1 old cat and a kitten (well she acted like one - she was 3!) I rehomed them with my next door neighbour because unfortunately I couldn't afford to bring them with me, its was something I always regretted, they are still going strong, emailed her last week, within 6 weeks to getting here I got 2 giner and white kittens and one is asleep on my shoulder now!!! I also got a siamese kitten bout 3 years ago and shes lying by the window in the perth sunshine.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great, really is good to see people who genuinely believe a dog is for life
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thats great. Its lovely to hear that she is doing so well.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing that. I have a beautiful lurcher, maybe about 8 or 9 (ex pound puppy). She has had a few close calls resulting in many thousands of pounds vets bills, but is now healthy and full of beans. Vet says no reason we can't ship her if she is as well then as she is now, but being an older pup still a bit worried about shipping her. However, this dog is special, couldn't ask for a more loyal and faithful companion and just couldn't imagine not taking her for reason other than vets advising not too. Feel a lot less worried now
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

So pleased to hear your story, I bought 2 dogs over last year a 9 year old and a 2 year old, they too have settled well. It's so good to see people bringing their dogs and not leaving them behind - they are part of the family and as such should come and have a better life with us. In your case I would think you have probably given your 17 year old a good few more years to enjoy her life.

Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:49 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

aw thats brought a tear to my eye, good on you for taking her with you its brilliant to hear of her happy life
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorchar
Thanks for sharing that. I have a beautiful lurcher, maybe about 8 or 9 (ex pound puppy). She has had a few close calls resulting in many thousands of pounds vets bills, but is now healthy and full of beans. Vet says no reason we can't ship her if she is as well then as she is now, but being an older pup still a bit worried about shipping her. However, this dog is special, couldn't ask for a more loyal and faithful companion and just couldn't imagine not taking her for reason other than vets advising not too. Feel a lot less worried now
Funny you said that about the lurcher....so is Sky (my dog)...dont know why I put whippet...put it down to old age.

As you said, lurcher's are amazing dogs. I got Sky from a rescue centre when he was 2 years old. He was rescued from his previous owners by the RSPCA and was found locked out in a concrete yard, with no food, water or shelter, in the middle of winter. He also had a skin condition which meant he had lost most of his coat. He was so thin that he could not stand on his own.

His previous owners were successfully prosecuted...I would have cheerfully left then out in the cold to die.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Shipping a elderly dog...update

Funny you said that about the lurcher....so is Sky (my dog)...dont know why I put whippet...put it down to old age.

As you said, lurcher's are amazing dogs. I got Sky from a rescue centre when he was 2 years old. He was rescued from his previous owners by the RSPCA and was found locked out in a concrete yard, with no food, water or shelter, in the middle of winter. He also had a skin condition which meant he had lost most of his coat. He was so thin that he could not stand on his own.

His previous owners were successfully prosecuted...I would have cheerfully left then out in the cold to die.
Hi BandS now thats exactly the thread I wanted to read! Thank you!!! We also have a lab/lurcher who is nine years old, well loved and spoilt rotten! Have just been to the vets because we were worried about taking him through the trauma of the flight etc and he has been given the clean bill of health apart from the need to lose 7kg!!! Louie (dog) is well and truely p-- off with us now and just keeps looking at these boring diet dried biscuits he now has to eat!LOL we've just contacted the shipping company (Par Air) has anyone had any dealing with them? and hope to move Louie beginning of September. ps.
Thanks again Jo x
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

That is such a great story! Thank you for sharing it with everyone. We are taking our 2 year old Bichon Frise with us next year. We've been worried about taking her and shes so fussy and used to constant attention. Reading stories like yours make us realise that she'll be fine and will no doubt love having her first swim!!!
Thanks so much and much love to you and your pets.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot for the life of me understand peoples' cruelty to animals. My Bug was in a terrible state when we got her, bearing in mind she had already had several weeks treatment at the pound. Heaven knows how bad a condition she was in when they brought her in. Her coat was sparse and very grey, she is now mainly black, her paws were cut and sore and every single bone in her body was showing, as well as having other bumps and bruises etc. Yet that dog was able to give us her trust and love despite only knowing suffering at the hands of humans. She's lying up here beside me on the sofa snoozing and is always by my side. That dog would give her last breath for me, and has always been very protective. To some she will only be a dog but she is much much more than that to me. Her loyalty, love and devotion are qualities hard to find even in some people and I will never ever turn my back on her. I just love her to bits
Old Jul 19th 2006, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sorchar
I cannot for the life of me understand peoples' cruelty to animals. My Bug was in a terrible state when we got her, bearing in mind she had already had several weeks treatment at the pound. Heaven knows how bad a condition she was in when they brought her in. Her coat was sparse and very grey, she is now mainly black, her paws were cut and sore and every single bone in her body was showing, as well as having other bumps and bruises etc. Yet that dog was able to give us her trust and love despite only knowing suffering at the hands of humans. She's lying up here beside me on the sofa snoozing and is always by my side. That dog would give her last breath for me, and has always been very protective. To some she will only be a dog but she is much much more than that to me. Her loyalty, love and devotion are qualities hard to find even in some people and I will never ever turn my back on her. I just love her to bits
Talking about cruelty....I went on holiday November 2004 and had to put Sky and Mindy into a local boarding kennel. I spent hours trolling round checking them out and thought I had found a good one.

When I got back after 2 weeks I went to pick them up. As soon as Sky (Lurcher) came out I could see he had lost a lot of weight. On closer inspection he had sores on his elbows and a cit across his nose. My other dog (Mindy) had also dropped weight.

I asked to speak to the owner and asked what the hell had happened to my dogs. He said they had been brought in like that and walked away. I refused to pay the bill and left.

I immediately took them to my vets where he took photos of the injuries and said that the sores were due to Sky lying on concrete for long periods of time. He had lost over 25% of his total body weight and Mindy had lost over 15%.

The owner of the kennels decided to take me to court and informed the court that the dogs were fine when they left the kennel and that I must have inflicted the wounds on them to avoid paying the bill.

The judge looked at the pictures and statement from my vet and I won the case.

Just a warning to be very careful when choosing a kennel. I will never ever leave my dogs in a kennel again. In fact my partner and I are going on holiday soon and the dogs are coming with us.

Last edited by BandS; Jul 19th 2006 at 4:06 am.