Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping a dog to australia - when to start organising

shipping a dog to australia - when to start organising

Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:03 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default shipping a dog to australia - when to start organising

another question from me......

at what stage do we need to start organising the dog for shipping? how late can it be left before taking her to the vets? is it better to start this process sooner rather than later?

many thanks
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:05 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping a dog to australia - when to start organising

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty

at what stage do we need to start organising the dog for shipping? how late can it be left before taking her to the vets? is it better to start this process sooner rather than later?

many thanks

We started about beginning of February so that our dog can fly mid May...Hope this helps...Also some of the quarentine stations have a bit of a waiting list...

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:08 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
We started about beginning of February so that our dog can fly mid May...Hope this helps...Also some of the quarentine stations have a bit of a waiting list...

Cheers

Ginny
thanks ginny. do they have to have 2 lots of bloods taken, and is it 2 injections? sorry, not really looked into yet. just thought about it tonight, maybe i will have to have a certain injection something like 6 months prior to departing? im sure this isnt the case, but a little bit of panice mode set in....
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

many thanks
It depends on where and when you are going. If you're going to Perth the kennels are very small and you have to book months in advance. Sydney quarantine, however, is huge and rarely has waiting lists. You're best to get all the info and quotes in advance just so that you're prepared. The dog has to have blood tests etc within 30 days of travelling and the shippers have to apply for an import permit before booking quarantine and flights so the more time you give yourselves the better . Make sure your dog doesn't get the lepto part of his/her booster if it's due.
Tracey
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:10 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

thanks ginny. do they have to have 2 lots of bloods taken, and is it 2 injections? sorry, not really looked into yet. just thought about it tonight, maybe i will have to have a certain injection something like 6 months prior to departing? im sure this isnt the case, but a little bit of panice mode set in....

This link might help a bit

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:14 pm
Never going back

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
It depends on where and when you are going. If you're going to Perth the kennels are very small and you have to book months in advance. Sydney quarantine, however, is huge and rarely has waiting lists. You're best to get all the info and quotes in advance just so that you're prepared. The dog has to have blood tests etc within 30 days of travelling and the shippers have to apply for an import permit before booking quarantine and flights so the more time you give yourselves the better . Make sure your dog doesn't get the lepto part of his/her booster if it's due.
Tracey
thanks tracey. we will be heading for sydney, so shouldnt be a problem there.

her booster is due. whats the problem with the lepto part of it?

ignore me, ive just read it on the link ginny provided - sorry.

Last edited by Sleeping Beauty; Mar 9th 2006 at 9:21 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:15 pm
Never going back

Originally Posted by Stitch
This link might help a bit

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs

Cheers

Ginny
thanks again ginny.
xx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

ex-GLOS will become famous soon enoughex-GLOS will become famous soon enough

Don't get the lepto booster! We gave it to our dog just before we found out we were moving. It got so complicated and impossible we ended up rehousing her before we left. I still miss her so much - last night I had a dream we moved back to England and worked out a dog sharing agreement with her new owners.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:15 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by ex-GLOS
Don't get the lepto booster! We gave it to our dog just before we found out we were moving. It got so complicated and impossible we ended up rehousing her before we left. I still miss her so much - last night I had a dream we moved back to England and worked out a dog sharing agreement with her new owners.
can you get another over there? it seems a shame that you have this love to give, but no dog

i will speak to the vets next week about this.

go and have a visit to a dogs home, you might fall in love again.

take care
xx
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ex-GLOS
Oh, that is so sad
Tracey
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:05 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

many thanks
We started the process about 7 weeks ago. We did not realise that the dog was not to have the leptos part of the booster back in October last year and are now starting to see the consequences. We are flying to Melbourne and the dog was due to fly on Monday however de to the blood test showing she had 1/400 count then we cannot fly her. Fortunately the wife is flying 3 weeks after me so it means she is able to get treated with antibiotics but it is still not certain that the dog will fly before she goes. We have arranged that my father will look after her if she fails at this point but keep trying to get her out with us.

My life would not be worth living if the wife cannot get the dog out!!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

many thanks
We were told we had to have the blood test done 150 days before she is to fly in order for her (the dog) to only need quarentine for 30 days. The fewer days the test is done before you go the longer the quarentine period.
Now saying that, we are in Canada and it may different in the UK, but check it out.

Nicanjoe