Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping containers

shipping containers

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Cool shipping containers

Hi everyone
Just a quick question.how long does it take for a container from leaving UK to arrive in Australia does it depend what time of year.I was told it takes up to three months from leaving uk to being released in Au this was from Excess Int.I thought this to be a long time .Would appreciate any feedback
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping containers

About 2 1/2 months I think. Depends how long it takes to clear customs the other side. May also take longer if you have a part container, as they will wait to fill it up.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:30 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brad
Hi everyone
Just a quick question.how long does it take for a container from leaving UK to arrive in Australia does it depend what time of year.I was told it takes up to three months from leaving uk to being released in Au this was from Excess Int.I thought this to be a long time .Would appreciate any feedback
6/9 weeks to arrive depending on various factors... Clearing customs is not particularly difficult but getting AQIS to do any inspection can be...! 3 months from shipping to delivery sounds about right...
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:28 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brad
Hi everyone

Was told today by DB that it is taking 28 days to sail from UK to Adelaide and 7-14 days to clear customs at the moment!!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

My packers are coming on Monday, when i first had the company round for the quote the man said about 1 month but today when i took my agreement form in they said 2/3 months.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Originally Posted by ormrod7
My packers are coming on Monday, when i first had the company round for the quote the man said about 1 month but today when i took my agreement form in they said 2/3 months.
I recall you're using Steele's....please can you tell me how you get on on Monday?......

When are you off? All the best for all that's to come.

Regards

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

Were not going until mid March but weve sold the house and move out on the 11th, so Steeles are coming on Monday they said it ll only take 1 day to do as there going to put on 4 men which is good it ll be like a whrilwind i think!! (forgot to say were using a part container)

Sarah
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Were not going until mid March but weve sold the house and move out on the 11th, so Steeles are coming on Monday they said it ll only take 1 day to do as there going to put on 4 men which is good it ll be like a whrilwind i think!! (forgot to say were using a part container)

Sarah
Our place goes on the Market this week and we're not sure about when to get Quotes for shipping........should we wait until the house is sold or get the quotes in now???

I recall that you've got dogs and we're in the same position....but we can't go into rental or live with relatives in the UK as our dog has been trained to use a dog-flap.........she doesn't know what to do without one. ACTUALLY...YES SHE DOES....SHE DOES HER BUSINESS INDOORS!!!!!

So we just want to sell he house, get her (the dog) on the plane and then get out there right after her.

Please keep me posted by PM if you feel you want to. I'm keen to know how you get on.

Best Regards

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I had 5 quote in, and they all said 6 to 8 weeks it takes for stuff to get there, and that was both for Adelaide and Melbourne.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Of course i will. Yes weve got a dog a Boxer, but he s not coming out with us straight away (i'm not to happy about the decision) my husband organised for him to go to his parents until we get settled as he's concerned we won t get a rental with him plus when he s on grass he scratches and ruins it so he does nt want us to get into trouble with a rental property as soon as we arrive.
It depends when you are heading out about getting quotes, when i went to see Steeles today they informed me that their prices are going up in March! It won t hurt to get some quotes just so you get an idea and what cubic foot you ll require.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Of course i will. Yes weve got a dog a Boxer, but he s not coming out with us straight away (i'm not to happy about the decision) my husband organised for him to go to his parents until we get settled as he's concerned we won t get a rental with him plus when he s on grass he scratches and ruins it so he does nt want us to get into trouble with a rental property as soon as we arrive.
It depends when you are heading out about getting quotes, when i went to see Steeles today they informed me that their prices are going up in March! It won t hurt to get some quotes just so you get an idea and what cubic foot you ll require.
OH MY GOD.....I fear that your Boxer may be half-bulldog (or vice-versa).....we're fearful that our Bulldog (Betty) has knocked thousands off the asking price of our house because she's been digging her way to Australia for the last 12 months (she also seems to think that eating all of the plants in the garden is also a sure-fire way of getting into our good books).

We're DREADING looking for a rental place.....but [CHEESY] "they're part of the family aren't they"!!!!!!

Anyway, without appearing stalker-like, I'd appreciate any news/advice etc., over the coming months to see how you're getting on.

Cheers

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

I ll help with whatever you need to know if i can don t hesitate to ask, just PM me ok

Sarah
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We we moved Dec '05. The packers finished on the 22nd Dec. The ship left the docks around Boxing Day and we had the furniture delievered to our rental house in Melbourne on the 14th Feb.

Therefore, under 2 months door to door. We used John Masons cost approx £3,500 for a 20ft reefer containing (It's not as big as regular 20ft container as got cooling equipment in it - they're used for shipping food items)

We made it easy on ourselves by not bringing any Christmas decs, bikes, gardening equipment etc. so maybe it whizzed through customs.

I also paid John Mason the £20 extra container cleaning insurance. Everthing, barr two cheap lampshades arrived in perfect order.

We took a good long holiday whilst the furniture was in transit.

Caroline