Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping The Computer....

Shipping The Computer....

Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:12 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Shipping The Computer....

Has anyone out there got any ideas on the best way of shipping a computer(and all the bits) out to AUS. keeping in mind security and cost ??????
CORKER
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:19 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping The Computer....

Originally Posted by CORKER
Has anyone out there got any ideas on the best way of shipping a computer(and all the bits) out to AUS. keeping in mind security and cost ??????
CORKER

What are you doing with the rest of your stuff? Otherwise there are always excess baggage companies like Excess Baggage and Seven Seas.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:26 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Shipping The Computer....

Originally Posted by mlbonner
What are you doing with the rest of your stuff? Otherwise there are always excess baggage companies like Excess Baggage and Seven Seas.
We're just taking the suit cases......everything else is going to the tip...or charity shop...new life new stuff....
CORKER
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:34 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

We're just taking the suit cases......everything else is going to the tip...or charity shop...new life new stuff....
CORKER

okay - then I'd try one of the excess baggage companies. I used Seven Seas who were great, but have heard equally good things about EB also.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:38 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

CORKER
Corker
The best packaging to use is the packaging it came in when you got it - which you probably no longer have! Suggest you go to PC shop and try to get appropriate spare boxes/polystyrene from them.

Andrew
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

I know what you say about 'new life - new start' as I originally thought the same, get rid of the lot! but after reading a few posts on here you might want to reconsider ?! I mean they tell me some things can cost MORE to replace in Oz (example escapes me!) but I think the general consensus was if it's of good quality & condition, then take it with you!

I still plan to get rid of a lot, but I think will be taking that bit more than originally planned. The pewter def goes tho, spent too much money and time on it to sell. I've recently aquired a notebook so that will do till it arrives

just a thought.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:48 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I mean they tell me some things can cost MORE to replace in Oz (example escapes me!)

Duvets and decent pillows for one! Decent cookware. Proper leather shoes! You can get all these things out here, just harder to find and pretty expensive on comparison!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

CORKER

Lucky you!

If you are in position to be able to afford to 'replace' all the items you will need, then why not the computer too? Sell it and buy new when you get here - good deals to be had. Save on the hassle of 'transporting' it to OZ.

As someone else said, bear in mind - some things are quite expensive to replace and the costs soon adds up - also there is always something else you would rather spend your money on - like sight seeing, days out and short breaks. Of course everyone is in a different financial position. So, obviously, whatever suits you best at the end of the day.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

I brought my PC with me in my suitcase, suitably wrapped in my finest rags. I left the monitor in the UK and bought a new one over here. Alternatively if you are happy to open up your PC, just bring the hard disk with all your files and buy a new machine.

One of the biggest things that I wish I had brought with me was my trusty tool kit, its such a hassle and expense buying all those tools again.

Papa Z
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:44 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Zentack
One of the biggest things that I wish I had brought with me was my trusty tool kit, its such a hassle and expense buying all those tools again.

Papa Z

FWIW: There's a big tool sale on at Southbank at the moment. One of the larger companies have just relocated to Montagu Rd, Vulture St end. There's been adverts on the radio all week about it.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by mlbonner
FWIW: There's a big tool sale on at Southbank at the moment. One of the larger companies have just relocated to Montagu Rd, Vulture St end. There's been adverts on the radio all week about it.
I think that tools from places like Bunnings are much cheaper than the UK - either that or I bought crap quality tools
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

CORKER
If it is a laptop, then back up the PC to CDs/DVDs and take both through as hand luggage.

If it is a desktop/tower then back up the PC to CDs/DVDs for all the data that is important (usually data sits in "My Documents" plus your favourites and your email file, e.g. with Outlook you can export to a PST file)

Remove the hard disk and place it in a small cardboard box with bubble wrap (and if possible an anti-stic bag). Take the hard disk and backup media with you as part of your hand luggage.. Won't weigh much.

Ship the remainder of the Computer with your normal things in the container, having boxed it.

When you get to Oz, if you need your data urgently and have access to a PC (or buy a cheap PC) all your important data is on the CD backups, or you can buy quite cheaply buy an adaptor to temporarily connect your own hard disk with everything on it via USB to another PC.

e.g.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=138544

This should provide a balance between being able to access your data, protecting your data and minimising the chances of dataloss while the PC is sitting in a hot container for a few weeks on the sea.

hth

Alex
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I must warn everyone considering bringing PCs from UK to the Southern hemisphere that Windows XP is automatically changed to dX
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
I feel I must warn everyone considering bringing PCs from UK to the Southern hemisphere that Windows XP is automatically changed to dX
Wot is that ?!?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Wot is that ?!?
Erm - XP but UPSIDE DOWN.

Nice one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.