Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies - how much notice?

Shipping Companies - how much notice?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Companies - how much notice?

Folks, how far in advance of the big departure date do people suggest contacting shipping companies for quotes? 2 months enough?

Cheers
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:46 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I have done it 2 weeks before departure before
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:47 pm
WBB

Default Re: Shipping Companies - how much notice?

Originally posted by mh929
Folks, how far in advance of the big departure date do people suggest contacting shipping companies for quotes? 2 months enough?

Cheers
wont hurt to get the ball rolling as early as you can, shop around and play em off against each other.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
wont hurt to get the ball rolling as early as you can, shop around and play em off against each other.
Yeah, I agree - but do they only guarantee a quote for a certain amount of time?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:54 pm
WBB

Yeah, I agree - but do they only guarantee a quote for a certain amount of time?
not sure, but as long as you give them your dates of travel etc they should be able to give you a solid quote.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cherry6
I have done it 2 weeks before departure before
2 weeks Id be in a major panic if I was that disorganised! Mind you, my wife always says Im over the top with organising things
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
2 Months is by far enough time (although I did start looking around a long while b4 that). I spent quite some time on the net compariong companies and the one we went with said basically ring and tell us when you want them picked up (only needed 24 hours notice). They are very good if you have slightly less to take. They are www.voovit.com and although intended for students do not make any restrictions if you are not.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by buglegirl
2 Months is by far enough time (although I did start looking around a long while b4 that). I spent quite some time on the net compariong companies and the one we went with said basically ring and tell us when you want them picked up (only needed 24 hours notice). They are very good if you have slightly less to take. They are www.voovit.com and although intended for students do not make any restrictions if you are not.
Thanks for that. I intend to get 3 quotes - have yet to decide which 3 to honour with my possible custom
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
We've just booked ours for 4/5th February after getting the ball rolling on December 15th.
If all goes to plan we should meet up with our belongings in Brisbane around about 2/9th April.

Willie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long

We started comparing companies ages ago but most of them said get back in touch 2-3 months before you plan to go. In December we provisionally booked Pickfords then found a much better deal with PSS so have now booked them. They're coming 16th March.

Hope this helps