British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping of collectible airguns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-collectible-airguns-502346/)

KangaRay Dec 30th 2007 7:38 am

Shipping of collectible airguns

My dad has given me 3 very collectible airguns. My wife is not happy to take them but my Dad has cared for them for donkey’s years so I accepted gracefully.

Does anyone know how complicated they are to ship? Has anyone taken any airguns with them?

Thanks

Pollyana Dec 30th 2007 8:20 am

Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by KangaRay (Post 5718637)
My dad has given me 3 very collectible airguns. My wife is not happy to take them but my Dad has cared for them for donkey’s years so I accepted gracefully.

Does anyone know how complicated they are to ship? Has anyone taken any airguns with them?

Thanks

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re..._firearms1.pdf

should help a bit.

KangaRay Dec 30th 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5718753)

Thanks, that does help.

ukecadet Dec 31st 2007 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5718753)

I had an airgun confiscated and trashed in Perth.Police had traced it from customs inventory.I was totally unaware of the legal requirements( which are somewhat bizarre)if you want more info let me .Now live in Melbourne,don't think the rules are as tight here.

cresta57 Dec 31st 2007 5:41 am

Originally Posted by KangaRay (Post 5718637)

Thanks

If he's had them for donkey's years chances are they will not have a safety catch. This is one of the requirements necessary for getting them back after you import them. It's an expensive way to waste good money as the restrictions imposed make certain that unless you pay a gunsmith to fit the safety catches the weapons will be destroyed.
Even if you pay the $100+ per safety catch per gun you then need to join a club and attend a minimum number of days per year in order to hold a licence.
If you buy a minimum of 40 acres then you could class as a primary producer & can legally hold a licence to keep guns on the property.

adriang Jan 3rd 2008 4:48 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 5721968)
If he's had them for donkey's years chances are they will not have a safety catch. This is one of the requirements necessary for getting them back after you import them. It's an expensive way to waste good money as the restrictions imposed make certain that unless you pay a gunsmith to fit the safety catches the weapons will be destroyed.
Even if you pay the $100+ per safety catch per gun you then need to join a club and attend a minimum number of days per year in order to hold a licence.
If you buy a minimum of 40 acres then you could class as a primary producer & can legally hold a licence to keep guns on the property.

I suggest that you check the State Regs/Laws as well as customs. For example, I think that for QLD, you'd have to get them 'deactivated' so that they cannot fire (and have that certified). First night I slept in my house, I was woken up at dawn by the local crow population, I was online checking out the local gun licensing laws. I think there was an 'incident' in Tasmania, which caused a major 'clamp down' on anything other than a catapult.

Budgie Jan 4th 2008 1:19 am

Ahh yes, the crows. Regular as clockwork right outside the bedroom windows at 4am every morning. Let me know if you figure out a way to shut them up! I was contemplating a catapult as well, but not too sure on the legality of the "sports" type of catapults over here - and I'm suspecting there's probably some law to prevent people picking off the little buggers!

cresta57 Jan 4th 2008 1:51 am

Originally Posted by adriang (Post 5732538)
I suggest that you check the State Regs/Laws as well as customs. For example, I think that for QLD, you'd have to get them 'deactivated' so that they cannot fire (and have that certified). First night I slept in my house, I was woken up at dawn by the local crow population, I was online checking out the local gun licensing laws. I think there was an 'incident' in Tasmania, which caused a major 'clamp down' on anything other than a catapult.

Having them deactivated kind of negates the necessity of spending money on fitting a safety catch.
The shooting's in Tassie were the "Port Arthur Massacres" when Martin Bryant shot dead thirty two & injured 18. Along similar lines of the Dunblane killings when Thomas Hamilton went off on a killing spree. Both massacres resulted in legally held guns being removed from society leaving only the illegal ones, a typical knee jerk reaction which only penalised honest gun owners.

Originally Posted by Budgie (Post 5736485)
Ahh yes, the crows. Regular as clockwork right outside the bedroom windows at 4am every morning. Let me know if you figure out a way to shut them up! I was contemplating a catapult as well, but not too sure on the legality of the "sports" type of catapults over here - and I'm suspecting there's probably some law to prevent people picking off the little buggers!

They're protected birds here in Australia:curse:Big fines for shooting any wildlife with a slingshot. I have one though & use it as a cockie deterrent:ohmy:
The only non protected birds here are Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Galahs and Long-billed Corellas they are classified as “Unprotected Wildlife” under the Wildlife Act 1975.

Swerv-o Jan 4th 2008 2:00 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 5736552)
Having them deactivated kind of negates the necessity of spending money on fitting a safety catch.
The shooting's in Tassie were the "Port Arthur Massacres" when Martin Bryant shot dead thirty two & injured 18. Along similar lines of the Dunblane killings when Thomas Hamilton went off on a killing spree. Both massacres resulted in legally held guns being removed from society leaving only the illegal ones, a typical knee jerk reaction which only penalised honest gun owners.

That's what governments do best...

S

POW148 Jan 4th 2008 3:31 am

Hi

I imported a 410 shotgun a few years back. Had I have known the amount of paperwork it involved, I would never have bothered. You would think I was trying to import the Iraqi Super Gun.

However, to my advantage, when I first applied for a firearms licence in the ACT, i included the 410 on the initial paperwork. This enabled me to fast track it through customs. The federal Police wanted me to have it sent to a bonded warehouse, in the end it just arrived by mail after a brief stay with customs who had to test fire the gun.

All in all, a lot of trouble to just import a gun I had owned in the UK for 30 years. Airguns need to be licenced and registered in Australia. It might pay you to have the guns disabled and imported that way.

I would not bother going through all that trouble again. I could have brought the same gun here for $50.00.

Good luck getting through all the paperwork.

Barney