Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping of collectible airguns

Shipping of collectible airguns

Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:38 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
KangaRay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 36
KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping of collectible airguns

My dad has given me 3 very collectible airguns. My wife is not happy to take them but my Dad has cared for them for donkey’s years so I accepted gracefully.

Does anyone know how complicated they are to ship? Has anyone taken any airguns with them?

Thanks
KangaRay is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:20 am
  #2  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,404
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by KangaRay View Post
My dad has given me 3 very collectible airguns. My wife is not happy to take them but my Dad has cared for them for donkey’s years so I accepted gracefully.

Does anyone know how complicated they are to ship? Has anyone taken any airguns with them?

Thanks
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re..._firearms1.pdf

should help a bit.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:26 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
KangaRay's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 36
KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Thanks, that does help.
KangaRay is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:59 am
  #4  
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,838
ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
I had an airgun confiscated and trashed in Perth.Police had traced it from customs inventory.I was totally unaware of the legal requirements( which are somewhat bizarre)if you want more info let me .Now live in Melbourne,don't think the rules are as tight here.
ukecadet is offline  
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:41 am
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,898
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by KangaRay View Post
My dad has given me 3 very collectible airguns. My wife is not happy to take them but my Dad has cared for them for donkey’s years so I accepted gracefully.

Does anyone know how complicated they are to ship? Has anyone taken any airguns with them?

Thanks
If he's had them for donkey's years chances are they will not have a safety catch. This is one of the requirements necessary for getting them back after you import them. It's an expensive way to waste good money as the restrictions imposed make certain that unless you pay a gunsmith to fit the safety catches the weapons will be destroyed.
Even if you pay the $100+ per safety catch per gun you then need to join a club and attend a minimum number of days per year in order to hold a licence.
If you buy a minimum of 40 acres then you could class as a primary producer & can legally hold a licence to keep guns on the property.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:48 am
  #6  
karma? You make your own!
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane (since April 2006)
Posts: 324
adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
If he's had them for donkey's years chances are they will not have a safety catch. This is one of the requirements necessary for getting them back after you import them. It's an expensive way to waste good money as the restrictions imposed make certain that unless you pay a gunsmith to fit the safety catches the weapons will be destroyed.
Even if you pay the $100+ per safety catch per gun you then need to join a club and attend a minimum number of days per year in order to hold a licence.
If you buy a minimum of 40 acres then you could class as a primary producer & can legally hold a licence to keep guns on the property.
I suggest that you check the State Regs/Laws as well as customs. For example, I think that for QLD, you'd have to get them 'deactivated' so that they cannot fire (and have that certified). First night I slept in my house, I was woken up at dawn by the local crow population, I was online checking out the local gun licensing laws. I think there was an 'incident' in Tasmania, which caused a major 'clamp down' on anything other than a catapult.
adriang is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:19 am
  #7  
Feathered Member
 
Budgie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 167
Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Ahh yes, the crows. Regular as clockwork right outside the bedroom windows at 4am every morning. Let me know if you figure out a way to shut them up! I was contemplating a catapult as well, but not too sure on the legality of the "sports" type of catapults over here - and I'm suspecting there's probably some law to prevent people picking off the little buggers!
Budgie is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:51 am
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,898
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by adriang View Post
I suggest that you check the State Regs/Laws as well as customs. For example, I think that for QLD, you'd have to get them 'deactivated' so that they cannot fire (and have that certified). First night I slept in my house, I was woken up at dawn by the local crow population, I was online checking out the local gun licensing laws. I think there was an 'incident' in Tasmania, which caused a major 'clamp down' on anything other than a catapult.
Having them deactivated kind of negates the necessity of spending money on fitting a safety catch.
The shooting's in Tassie were the "Port Arthur Massacres" when Martin Bryant shot dead thirty two & injured 18. Along similar lines of the Dunblane killings when Thomas Hamilton went off on a killing spree. Both massacres resulted in legally held guns being removed from society leaving only the illegal ones, a typical knee jerk reaction which only penalised honest gun owners.
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
Ahh yes, the crows. Regular as clockwork right outside the bedroom windows at 4am every morning. Let me know if you figure out a way to shut them up! I was contemplating a catapult as well, but not too sure on the legality of the "sports" type of catapults over here - and I'm suspecting there's probably some law to prevent people picking off the little buggers!
They're protected birds here in Australia:curse:Big fines for shooting any wildlife with a slingshot. I have one though & use it as a cockie deterrent
The only non protected birds here are Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Galahs and Long-billed Corellas they are classified as “Unprotected Wildlife” under the Wildlife Act 1975.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:00 am
  #9  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,733
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
Having them deactivated kind of negates the necessity of spending money on fitting a safety catch.
The shooting's in Tassie were the "Port Arthur Massacres" when Martin Bryant shot dead thirty two & injured 18. Along similar lines of the Dunblane killings when Thomas Hamilton went off on a killing spree. Both massacres resulted in legally held guns being removed from society leaving only the illegal ones, a typical knee jerk reaction which only penalised honest gun owners.

That's what governments do best...


S
Swerv-o is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:31 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
POW148's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Michelago
Posts: 545
POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping of collectible airguns

Hi

I imported a 410 shotgun a few years back. Had I have known the amount of paperwork it involved, I would never have bothered. You would think I was trying to import the Iraqi Super Gun.

However, to my advantage, when I first applied for a firearms licence in the ACT, i included the 410 on the initial paperwork. This enabled me to fast track it through customs. The federal Police wanted me to have it sent to a bonded warehouse, in the end it just arrived by mail after a brief stay with customs who had to test fire the gun.

All in all, a lot of trouble to just import a gun I had owned in the UK for 30 years. Airguns need to be licenced and registered in Australia. It might pay you to have the guns disabled and imported that way.

I would not bother going through all that trouble again. I could have brought the same gun here for $50.00.

Good luck getting through all the paperwork.

Barney
POW148 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.