Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping to Brisbane

shipping to Brisbane

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

myrtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping to Brisbane

Hi there, brand new to this site so please forgive if I'm asking a question asked already a million times.
Myself, husband and dog are moving to Brisbane in Decemeber, I've started looking at shipping companies and could do with any hints, tips or info. We will be packing up a 2 bed house with minimal furniture, i.e. no white goods, settees or dining furniture but beds, wardrobes, desk, books, clothes and wondered if anyone out there had sent a similar amount of stuff and could therefore give me a rough idea of the price. I've gleaned that you can pack yourself or get company to pack which is something we'd probably do.
I'll be very grateful for any info shared,

thanks
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

peast01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: shipping to Brisbane

Originally Posted by myrtle
Hi there, brand new to this site so please forgive if I'm asking a question asked already a million times.
Myself, husband and dog are moving to Brisbane in Decemeber, I've started looking at shipping companies and could do with any hints, tips or info. We will be packing up a 2 bed house with minimal furniture, i.e. no white goods, settees or dining furniture but beds, wardrobes, desk, books, clothes and wondered if anyone out there had sent a similar amount of stuff and could therefore give me a rough idea of the price. I've gleaned that you can pack yourself or get company to pack which is something we'd probably do.

thanks
When we came over we looked at shipping and it just seemed to much of a hassel and quite expensive plus you had to wait for things to clear customs. So we sold all our furniture and belongings just cramed as much clothing as we could into suitcases and hand luggage and bought new furniture when we got here. You can pick up quite resonable stuff so what you are going to spend on sending the basics would probably just about cover to buy them new.

hope this helps, worked for us and saved loads of hassel
Old Jun 27th 2007, 5:28 am
skye

We are using Doree Bonner 20ft container, £3200 - the dog will be the most expensive thing you will ship out there!!! - we have two and its around £5000 for their flights, tests, quarantine and flight back to brisbane!

You are probably best buying furniture out there if you are not taking too much! and save the money to get the doggy out there!

Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That amount of stuff will only take a section of a shared container. It depends on how good your stuff is and how attached to it you are. I have no idea of the price of a shared container these days. We moved out late 2005 and had a stuffed the gunnels 20footer and it cost about 3,800 pounds. No hassle, the stuff went a month before we did and we got it back three weeks after we landed, the same day we completed on our house - no hassle at all but it was only worthwhile because we had finally got decent stuff and because we both hate shopping with avengence and would sooner have cut our arms off than have to go shopping for a complete house worth of furniture
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

emmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant future

thanks
We have a two bedroomed house and are taking about the same amount of furniture as yourselves, the quotes we were given for a shared container are shown below:

PSS - £2047
Crown - £1765
White and Co - £1735
Doree Bonner - £1485

We have decided to go with Crown as we were very impressed with the whole package they were offering and they were the only company that also had offices in Australia to deal with the shipment at the other end. White and Co were rules out straight away as the man that came to see us didn't stay two minutes and he just gave us a leaflet to read about the company, didn't seem to want our business at all - maybe it was too small a shipment????? We were advised not to pack our own shipment as it will be more likely to be stopped at customs.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:04 pm
Where's my visa?

cascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant future

friends of ours moved 2 years ago and used crown, they were very impressed and recommended them to us, if you type in "has anyone used crown" into goggle you get lots of feedback. Also have a link to a pet shipping agent on their website, but i think it seems a bit expensive. i made an enquiry to crown myself, they contacted me with a ballpark estimate for removal and offered to send a agent to give an actual price closer to the date, not pushy and very friendly. they also have quite a few regional offices so they now each area of the uk quite well.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

We are using Pickfords, got a quote for 5 cubic metres of household stuff includes packing and unpacking for around £1000
Good luck
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

thanks
Hi Myrtle,

Welcome to BE!!
I've just organised shipping and it's about the same amount as you. I had 3 quotes.

PSS £1795 plus customs clearance
pickfords £2495
crown £1995

We are going with Crown as their customer service has been 100% perfect and professional. I have nothing good to say about AP. PSS were ok in person but on paper turned out to be a load of crap.(just my opinion)
Don't forget, these prices don't include insurance. I was offered a good deal by crown but a company called Letton Percival which is highly regarded on here is a lot cheaper than anything any of the removal companies offer
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

thanks
we used john masons they were the cheapest, no problems everything arrived here on time. made the move less stress full. i would bring everything, even mop and bucket. prices r expensive when u have 2 buy little things again and the lad will make it fit in, we had a container and we filled it. good look. www.turntvoff.com
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:09 pm
HMG
Just Joined

HMG is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there,
that's pretty close to our position - we're leaving a 2 bed flat:
Taking: 2 beds, 1 sofa, all kitchen stuff, clothes, sound system, cds/books & clothes, all other random small bits, linen etc
Leaving: cupboards, fridge, washing machine & dining table/chairs.

We contacted 10 removal companies and had 2 come over for a quote:
Allied Pickfords: £1,815
JA Cole: £2,010 (or something close - great service)
PSS weren't particularly interested/helpful so crossed them off the list.
Crown couldn't fit in an appointment until the week before we leave

After trawling through this site for experiences with the different companies, we ended up choosing AP as they have been very efficient and reasonable (so far) and have been extra helpful.

That includes full packing, unpacking on the other side & removal of rubbish.

So will see how it all unfolds...

Good luck
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

myrtle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for all the info, has been really helpful. Have got Bourne coming next week for a quote and think I'll get in touch with Crown as they seem to have good reviews. Thanks again, no doubt I'll be asking for advice on other things over the next 6 months!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

Has anyone else used Bourne before or know any feedback on this company? We have Bourne, Crown, Sterling and PSS coming in the next few days for quotes.
Many thanks, Malcs
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

We have just had our 4 bedroom house contents packed and shipped using Whytes Removals, they were really good and it cost us £2700 for a 20ft container.

Insurance from Letton Percival

Bobby
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:31 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

thanks
We have had quotes from all those listed below but also Anglo Pacific who came in cheapest and have been really really helpful as well. They sort out tons of stuff on top of your packing, i.e. tax rebate etc.

Cheers, Sarah
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:42 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Our 20ft good shipped by pss for around £3200. Arrived thursday with no dramas. Insurance from Letton Percival.

You are also likely to get stung for £100-£300 quarantine inspection fees. As it time taken, and stuff examined its generally not included in quotes, and you pay it here in oz to get your stuff.

Some stuff like sheets are expensive here, so might be worth getting some in uk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.