Shipping Boxes

Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice
Default Shipping Boxes

Hi,

I've been sifting through all the shipping company threads and removals etc. We were thinking about taking less than most. Has anyone had the experience of shipping boxes and a few odd sized items. Just wondered what the general costs would be?

Walking around the house, most of the stuff we want to bring is our son's. Going room to room, i'd like to bring his cot, drawers, moses basket, toys, pc. The rest would be personal items, photos, cds, dvds and some kitchen stuff. Am thinking about 15 boxes?

It seems a shame that a 3-bed house has come down to this as we do have some nice stuff. We don't have loads of cash to use on shipping, plus am looking forward to starting a fresh and debt free!

Any help/info....much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping Boxes

Hi Jo,

We used Pickfords, despite reading a few bad reports, on the whole were pretty impressed.

Like you, we just took bits & bobs - mainly toys, personal belongings - pics etc, Swindon football programmes (yes, I know ...!). Anyway, all in all we had 99 cuft, which equalled about 12 boxes plus a couple of other things. They charged us just under £700 including insurance.

HTH a little.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by charb
Hi Jo,

We used Pickfords, despite reading a few bad reports, on the whole were pretty impressed.

Like you, we just took bits & bobs - mainly toys, personal belongings - pics etc, Swindon football programmes (yes, I know ...!). Anyway, all in all we had 99 cuft, which equalled about 12 boxes plus a couple of other things. They charged us just under £700 including insurance.

HTH a little.
Hello, We're probably just taking a few boxes ourselves. I asked for quotes for 10 tea chests and had a quote for just over £500. They called it 50 cubic foot though. Were yours smaller than tea chest size? Q
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:14 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Shipping Boxes

Some one sent me this link, I haven't tryed them yet. But thought you might find it useful.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/index.aspx
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by quercus
Hello, We're probably just taking a few boxes ourselves. I asked for quotes for 10 tea chests and had a quote for just over £500. They called it 50 cubic foot though. Were yours smaller than tea chest size? Q
We had a mixture of larger & smaller boxes. The larger ones I would say were bigger than tea chest size though. (just gone & had a look to make sure - still haven't sorted everything!) It was definitely 99 cuft all in all though. Was that quote through Pickfords ?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by charb
We had a mixture of larger & smaller boxes. The larger ones I would say were bigger than tea chest size though. (just gone & had a look to make sure - still haven't sorted everything!) It was definitely 99 cuft all in all though. Was that quote through Pickfords ?
Removalgroup.com

I haven't heard of them before, but they're certainly keen in the office. If I do use them, I'll double check the sizes. I think she mentioned that extra boxes are about £40 or so.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

we pretty much have the same as most of you lot,
12 crates,pc,hifi,paperwork,wedding dress, washer and dryer (seperate) and got quoted £560 with crown removals,but we are no longer taking the washing machine or dryer so gotta get another quote

kels x
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

i did forget 2 adult mountain bikes, and that was without insurance

kels x
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come
we pretty much have the same as most of you lot,
12 crates,pc,hifi,paperwork,wedding dress, washer and dryer (seperate) and got quoted £560 with crown removals,but we are no longer taking the washing machine or dryer so gotta get another quote

kels x
I forgot to mention....Removalgroup said they would beat any other quote by £50. That's a challenge for me!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

if you go on www.overseas-removals.com you can see the different size boxes they can provide we using excess baggage

Last edited by Mumfords; Aug 21st 2007 at 8:02 am.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:54 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
Hi,

I've been sifting through all the shipping company threads and removals etc. We were thinking about taking less than most. Has anyone had the experience of shipping boxes and a few odd sized items. Just wondered what the general costs would be?

Walking around the house, most of the stuff we want to bring is our son's. Going room to room, i'd like to bring his cot, drawers, moses basket, toys, pc. The rest would be personal items, photos, cds, dvds and some kitchen stuff. Am thinking about 15 boxes?

It seems a shame that a 3-bed house has come down to this as we do have some nice stuff. We don't have loads of cash to use on shipping, plus am looking forward to starting a fresh and debt free!

Thanks

Jo
Hi Jo

We are in the same situation. Shipping only 2-3 boxes of personal and or sentimental things over.
We have shopped around and Seven Seas came back with the best service and price:

Can't remember the exact costs but it was something like £80 for the first box and £40 for subsequent boxes (tea chest size).
They estimate about 6 weeks for delivery.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
Hi,

Thanks

Jo

Hi Depending on your requirements ie - Self Pack or Client Pack, I am sure we can be of help.

Costs will Vary though depending on type of service required. For instance if you want to Pack your own Boxes and ship in a cargo Container it would cost you in the Region of appx £80.00 per cubic metre or per 1000 kgs.

Client Pack would be a totally different costing method though.

Have a look at our Webstie options below.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Can I just add to this thread. We were given very good advice and that was to ship EVERYTHING!!! The best bit of advice we ever had. We thought it would be lovelyto buy everytthing new but it would cost an absolute fortune.

Think about it very carefully before selling all of your worldly possessions for a pitance in a garage sale. We brought everything and have still spent £50K+ on two cars and a few vital bits and pieces.

The other thing to add is the feeling of having familar things around you when you come over because some of the feelings you go thru are pretty major (mainly missing people).

Each to their own, but I would rather have myown bits around me initially at a cost of £4k and then buy new as and when once we are in the house of our dreams (that we own), rather then buying furniture for a rental that might not suit your eventual dream home.

Think on it. Only my experience.

Good luck to you all.

Carol
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:13 am
Just Joined

ashbash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Shipping Boxes

I have just had my boxes delivered and I went with Freedom shipping as a friend of mine recommended them. They have been excellent and do next day delivery and collection if you ring before 2pm. The first box is £69 and every box thereafter is £30 with every 5th box free. I had 18 boxes delivered but have fitted lots in so will not need them all. I am the same as most of you, only shipping personal items (clothes, shoes, dvd, cds, photos etc) I cannot wait it all seems so real now.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

We shipped about 15 boxes. We used our own large plastic lidded storage boxes, that were taped up and sealed by the packers. We used sevenseas and they've been great, about £400 for our boxes.
Although the advice about shipping everything is good, if you can afford it. We bought the bare minimum over but there's a lot more kitcheny stuff that I'd wished I'd packed instead of leaving it with my mum! When we arrived we got a bit relunctant to spend money on things like fish slices and whisks and instead are picking them up slowly in our weekly shop. Shipping an extra box full of bits like that would probably have been better in hindsight but hey ho.
If it helps we've spent around $10k furnishing a 3 bedroom rental. Got a mix of bits from a variety of shops, from top of the range to flat packs from Ikea. It's a great feeling to start from scratch though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.