British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-australia-504217/)

scor Jan 7th 2008 10:58 am

Shipping to Australia

Hi,

Can anyone reccomend some good shipping companies, to move our possesions to Australia? We don't have that much, it's not a full house or anything, but i does include a lot of valuable electronic/AV equipment. I think a 4 x 4 metre container would do it easily. And I don't mind how long it takes to get there, 3 months is fine.

Thanks!!

wmoore Jan 7th 2008 11:15 am

Re: Shipping to Australia

Originally Posted by scor (Post 5751797)
Hi,

Can anyone reccomend some good shipping companies, to move our possesions to Australia? We don't have that much, it's not a full house or anything, but i does include a lot of valuable electronic/AV equipment. I think a 4 x 4 metre container would do it easily. And I don't mind how long it takes to get there, 3 months is fine.

Thanks!!

If you search this forum you will see lots of discussion on good / bad movers. We brought a similar amount to you (maybe a bit less) and used Crown. We were very happy with the service, which took about 10 weeks door-to-door.

Swooty Jan 7th 2008 11:20 am

Tey these they have been excellent

http://www.doreebonner.co.uk/home/index.php

platapus Jan 7th 2008 11:55 am

We are having a 40 ft container & Crown are coming tomorrow for 4 days to pack our things..I will let you know how we get on.

Timandjayne Jan 7th 2008 6:16 pm

Hello there

Im going through this process of searching the market and prices for a 20ft container vary by a great deal, Dorree Boner are quite expensive but seem very good. PPS did n't rock my boat, there's a joke in there somewhere. they were about 400 quid cheaper than Doree. Crown were about 1,000 dearer and Britannia forget it. I said a few swear words when I read that.:eek:
I am at the moment looking at Gobal relocations & EVL who are very competative and will price match. Does anyone have any experience Good or bad experiences please let me know. As it will be decision day soon..
We fly out on the 6th march. Yipee

homewardbound Jan 7th 2008 6:25 pm

I have John Masons coming on Thursday to pack 70% of a 20ft container... I'll let you know how I get on.

scor Jan 7th 2008 6:27 pm

what exactly is a 40 or 20 foot container? obviously its 20/40 feet long, but what are the other dimensions?

homewardbound Jan 7th 2008 6:30 pm

Dont know but 70% of a 20 ft = 700 square cubic feet :rofl:

scor Jan 7th 2008 6:36 pm

right... and where is the packing done? they bring the container to your house?

marcon Jan 7th 2008 6:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks!!

Hi
We are just starting the process ourselves We will need a 40ft container can anybody give us some quide prices. We have a local company giving us a price next week who work in partnership with Robinson International anybody used them before.
Thanks

homewardbound Jan 7th 2008 8:15 pm

John Mason are bringing a truck to move it all as it is going into storage and we are sharing a container... otherwise i think they sometimes bring the container

scor Jan 7th 2008 8:52 pm

gonna be awful, seeing all of my worldly possesion's disappear onto a truck... I hope they are careful!!!

homewardbound Jan 7th 2008 9:30 pm

No I think the hardest thing so far is giving stuff away that is worth quite a bit of money, having to skip/chuck stuff that still has life left or not being able to get rid of stuff.

I'll let you know of thurs/fri how it feels when its all taken away!

Shoan and Rich Jan 7th 2008 9:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks!!

We will be taking a similar amount, can anyone recomend the best way to ship this amount, either as part of a container or tea chests, individual boxes etc ?

Cheers
Shona

Pinkie Jan 8th 2008 4:01 am

Hi Shona

We did a similar thing - only bought what we couldn't bear to leave which turned out to be about 20 boxes total. Used Anglo Pacific, they had been to quote on the whole house but we changed our mind about taking everything so I just emailed a list of the items and rough sizes (or actual sizes where it could be put back in its box) and they gave me a quote. They just confirm the cost once the packers have been, turned out to be cheaper that the quote for us as the packers put things inside other things that I hadn't thought of. We just insured the things that were worth something other than sentimental value (as they can't be replaced at any cost obviously).
The packers were great in the UK, they just pack all your goods into the relevant sized industrial cardboard box complete with a forests worth of padding paper, make a note of what's in them (little hint here, I listed absolutely everything that we were taking including the names of dvds and serial numbers of computers etc as they're quite general in how they term the contents of your world!) and put them in a van. They just stay together then until a container has the appropriate amount of space left in it, then get shipped. It can take a bit longer but there are that may people coming over now that I don't think it matters like it used to. I also checked that they don't employ casual staff as I read on here ages ago that can be where the problems start.

We got our boxes just before Christmas after leaving beginning of Oct (inc a detour via Brisbane as that's where we thought we'd end up initially) with everything intact and working - including OH's computer, media centre, dvds etc. Very impressed.

Hope it works out the same for you :)