Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Again!!!

Shipping Again!!!

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Again!!!

Hi..I know a new shipping post crops up every week but just a bit curious as to when to get quotes and stuff....i.e 6 months before,3 months 2 weeks etc....Any info greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

One for Alan surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:03 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We started getting in touch with companies at the end of Nov, we're looking at the first week of Feb, we've found them all to be fairly slow in arranging an estimator to visit and then posting quotes etc. This may be due to xmas but in retrospect I think we left it a bit late.
Still not sorted, we'd decided on Anglo Pacific but Pollyannas experience with them has made us have second thoughts. That said there seem to be mixed reports about most of the big companies if you do a search on here, think it may be the luck of the draw!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:03 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I would say about 3 months before you go ... that's what we did when we were moving to Australia.

Best regards.

Originally posted by scottalison6
One for Alan surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 1:36 pm
Irish Member

floordekor is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a shipping company out recently and asked them how long the quote would be valid. They said the shipping rates would be set bi-annually if the company is a member of the BIFA (British International Freight Association)
I am shipping with a very reputable company in Belfast,Northern Ireland. They quoted me £2945.00 for my own 20ft container to Sydney or Perth (same price) gauranteed delivery within 6 weeks to Perth - seven weeks to Sydney. If you aren't ready for your furniture they can store it for a one off fee of $150 and $150 per week for a full 20ft container. Price includes all customs clearence and delivery to your house to first floor level and unpacking items and removing all packages. Sorry I forgot to mention the price is for them to professionally pack all my items from home as well.
Insurance for loss is charged at 2.75% and for loss and damage is 4.00% of the total value of items insured.

Good Luck !!!

Paul
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 2:10 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We fly out on 14 Jan and have booked shippers for 8 Jan. We've decided on PSS who came out to quote 2 weeks before Christmas and due to the tight timescale their quote was with us the next day. We also had Anglo Pacific out and they telephoned their quote with a written quote 3 days later.

We did start thinking about shippers a few months ago and had John Mason round to quote then but by December we'd changed our minds about what to take, etc.

Anyway, hope PSS don't let us down. We've also only insured valuable items separately, as we figured we'd have to replace a lot of stuff when we get there anyway to tide us over while the shipment arrives.

Regards and hope all goes well,
Kate
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kevwalt
Hi,

We fly out on 14 Jan and have booked shippers for 8 Jan. We've decided on PSS who came out to quote 2 weeks before Christmas and due to the tight timescale their quote was with us the next day. We also had Anglo Pacific out and they telephoned their quote with a written quote 3 days later.

We did start thinking about shippers a few months ago and had John Mason round to quote then but by December we'd changed our minds about what to take, etc.

Anyway, hope PSS don't let us down. We've also only insured valuable items separately, as we figured we'd have to replace a lot of stuff when we get there anyway to tide us over while the shipment arrives.

Regards and hope all goes well,
Kate
hi kate,
did you get the pm i sent you ?
lucy