Shipping

Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:20 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping

Had first quote today from Robinsons - Just thought I would share it with those who are interested what a fright we have had!

We were hoping 20ft would cover it as we don't have clutter - no chance!

Basically he said we will virtually fill a 40ft and even leaving out some items I could live without doesn't touch it. Apparently our house is big?? We have a 4 bed but I wouldn't say it was a bloody mansion! I am not a horder so don't have loads of nicnacks.

Anyway bottom line he didn't give exact quote - he is emailing us a few alternatives 1) 20ft plus part of a 40ft 2)Sole use of 40ft 3)Someone else using 'part' of our 40ft

I asked him for a ballpark for 40ft - he's talking between £4500 and £5500. Tried to sell us insurance - says all our stuff is worth £75,000 - I don't think so! The insurance was 3% - mega bucks. Told him about that thread on here yesterday for 1.53% - he said no way would that include damage..well it does! So they may get the shipping contract but deffo not the insurance.

I did think they seemed professional and the pictures of how all the furniture was wrapped up looked impressive - and they come in and pack the whole lot up.

On the wooden and wicker/seagrass issue - he says NOT to declare the basket stuff just pack it inside other things The wood is NO problem. The only thing he says don't take is bamboo stuff.

Anyway will post again - another coming Monday so I'l have more info and a final price on the above by Tues.

Hope this helps someone
Old Feb 7th 2004, 1:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

On the wooden and wicker/seagrass issue - he says NOT to declare the basket stuff just pack it inside other things The wood is NO problem. The only thing he says don't take is bamboo stuff.
The wood may be no problem, but make sure you declare it. I would be wary of sending stuff undeclared, don't know what anyone else thinks? Customs may do a spot-check, I remember Mr Mover telling me this, and they can open a couple of boxes to check. If they open ones which have stuff that should be declared, but isn't, they can order everything to be opened and checked.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I would say suggesting that you don't declare stuff is a tad irresponsible. The AQIS regulations aren't there to annoy the hell out of people, they're there to protect a very fragile ecosystem.

And if AQIS do find anything that you haven't declared they'll charge you a lot to destroy the offending items.

Good luck
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Max
I had Robinsons out a couple of weeks ago. We have a 3 bed house, full of junk (mainly toys!). we have been told we will fill a 20ft container. they have quoted £4400! to be fair this is the same as Britannia. I didn't like the man from Robinsons as much as the one from Britannia. though a friend who migrated to Adelaide a couple of years ago said they were very good.
not declaring goods sounds very dodgy to me.
we have pss coming out next week, see what they come up with.

ps we are in Yeovil.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:01 am
Perth Bound

Avery Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping

Hi Max

we have had two quotes... 1 quoted £4650 for a 40 foot container, the other quoted £3640 for a 20 foot container... here's the funny thing... both viewed exactly the same items:scared:

Baxters and Britannia were the firms .... Anglo Pacific coming on Monday.. perhaps they'll split the difference. !

Britiannia advised that we leave our cane furniture behind.. may cost more to dispose of by authorities that it is actually worth.

Good luck anyway,
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:25 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see that you gave them what for on the Insurance side of things MP.

You obviously spoke to Merseyside Insurance and glad that it does cover everything that we (emmigraters) are going to need. Take heed people, no longer do we need to get shafted even further when it comes to the move.

Let us know how things go as I expect you will be away before moi.

I J
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bazfer
Hi Max
I had Robinsons out a couple of weeks ago. We have a 3 bed house, full of junk (mainly toys!). we have been told we will fill a 20ft container. they have quoted £4400! to be fair this is the same as Britannia. I didn't like the man from Robinsons as much as the one from Britannia. though a friend who migrated to Adelaide a couple of years ago said they were very good.

ps we are in Yeovil.

We had Crown Relocations out last week for a quote, they were excellent and doing our move door to door be careful as the majority of companies do not do this, they tender the work out to other companies in Oz so you don't know who it will be. Crown have offices all over the UK and all over the world and in all areas of OZ, they were so friendly and helpful also told us to declare anything that was mentioned on the customs forms as they do spot checks. I think you should try them they will have an office near you no matter where you are in the uk. Our quote for a 20ft was just under £3,300 which is quite a difference and that is them doing absolutely everything for you, a 3 or 4 man team comes in and does the lot and then the same once you get to Oz with the unpacking. I had a few quotes from different companies and they were the best by far, a few people on this forum have used them, not heard a bad word yet. Their web page is www.crownrelo.com.

Lisa
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

try

www.excessbaggage.com

or

www.overseas-removals.com

(both part of same company and use pickfords this end)

we used a subsidury of them called interpak and apart from one big breakage every thing else was fab.

Only got 3 more boxes to do, YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

also forgot to mention, declare everything cos they do spot checks, believe me, most of our stuff had stickers on to say that it had passed AQUIS inspection. I brought wicker, but not seagrass and all ok. Mr mover is fantastic at helping out on pm's with any quieries!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:54 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by floweroscotland

Hi Lisa,

I'm going to call these guys - thanks for the info they sound really good.

Max
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:55 am

Originally posted by ianj
Good to see that you gave them what for on the Insurance side of things MP.

You obviously spoke to Merseyside Insurance and glad that it does cover everything that we (emmigraters) are going to need. Take heed people, no longer do we need to get shafted even further when it comes to the move.

Let us know how things go as I expect you will be away before moi.

I J
Ian this was a great tip and you have saved us a lot of money!

Yet another fantastic piece of info from this site!!

Max
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:00 am

Originally posted by bazfer
Hi Max

ps we are in Yeovil.

What I didn't like was the ovbiousness that he was on mega commission for getting the insurance in. It was the worst sales pitch I have ever seen - flatter you by telling you your belongings are worth a packet and then say it's a small price to pay if it all sinks! That price they have given you seems loads for a 20ft?

Like you I think it's all the toys - wendy house- little bikes and toy kitchen that are causing the large volume!!!

I'm going to call this crown reloc. they sound good!

Max
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:02 am

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I would say suggesting that you don't declare stuff is a tad irresponsible. The AQIS regulations aren't there to annoy the hell out of people, they're there to protect a very fragile ecosystem.

And if AQIS do find anything that you haven't declared they'll charge you a lot to destroy the offending items.

Good luck
...I know it seems an odd thing to say from a professional company with experience in these matters. I have to say he's not the one going to be lumbered with a big bill if they find it is he! So that black mark among others does go against them!

Max
Old Feb 7th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

ace ventura is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
Just to let you know we had PSS around to quote and for a 20ft container door to door was £2800 , which is the best quote we've had
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

John Mason, PSS and Britannia all quoted more or less £5200 for a 40 ft container for us - door-to-door from Kent to within 100 miles of Brisbane. That includes all packing and unpacking. Considering what it costs me to get a few boxes shipped over from the Isle of Man I think it's fairly reasonable. We chose John Mason because they just seemed so much more practical when it came to our particular problems of access down a narrow lane.

Lesley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.