Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shippers Any recommends and tips

shippers Any recommends and tips

Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default shippers Any recommends and tips

hiya everyone,

We must be getting close now as it,s time to sort out some shipping quotes.Has anyone with recent experience of shippers good or bad got any details that might help us and anyone else who is in the same boat (sorry i just had to).

Also what are the costs of say an average container (is that 20 foot)and what should we be aware about any extras we may get charged for on the other side?

thanks dave
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: shippers Any recommends and tips

Dave,
Many threads on this subject, so if you want to see lots of prices, do a quick search.

Prices quoted for us, on a sole use 20ft container are as follows:

Crown. £3800 (originally £4300, but got them to reduce). This includes AQIS.
PSS. £3500 Does not include AQIS
John Mason. £3700 Does not include AQIS.

None of these include insurance, which they will try and sell you. ranges from 2.5 -4.2 %. Were using the insurance company, the shippers use, and getting it for 1.5%. If you want i will send on name and number for this.

Were going to use Crown, as we were impressed with the service and guraguarantee'sy offer. 8 weeks from door to door, and they came across to us as more profprofessional
Chris
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Dave,
Many threads on this subject, so if you want to see lots of prices, do a quick search.

None of these include insurance, which they will try and sell you. ranges from 2.5 -4.2 %. Were using the insurance company, the shippers use, and getting it for 1.5%. If you want i will send on name and number for this.

Were going to use Crown, as we were impressed with the service and guraguarantee'sy offer. 8 weeks from door to door, and they came across to us as more profprofessional
Chris
Thanks Chris,

Whats AQIS and yes i,ll have the details about the insurance please.Every little helps.

dave
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

AndyF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Thanks Chris,

Whats AQIS and yes i,ll have the details about the insurance please.Every little helps.

dave
dave,

AQIS stands for Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service - AQIS

check this link out
www.aqis.gov.au

Thanks
AndyF
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Chris,

dave
Dave,

AQIS is the quarantine cost inspection. When you stuff arrives, a man comes to inspect it, and this costs around $150 - $200. Shippers cant exactly say how much the total bill will be, because if AQIS find something wrong , ie, something needs cleaning or destroying, then this is a separte cost to you.

The insurance is: (taken from another thread)

The company I ( and many others) will / have used are Letton Percival - www.lettonpercival.co.uk (formerly Merseyside Insurance Services). The contact there is a guy called Brian Naughton or Andrew Leaver (0151 236 4568) and both are very friendly and more than willing to help. They charge 1.53% for the policy which is pretty much half of the cost of all removals companies.

Chris
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,

Chris

Hi

Crown & PSS have come up the best so far, Crown has quoted more... but has said that once we get a quote from PSS they would come down in price to match them. The prices for us for a 20ft was the same as Chris`s, but we have sold a load of bits and are now doing a shared container...it will now only cost us £2.000 Looking into the insurance at the moment.

Good luck

Sue
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,

AQIS is the quarantine cost inspection. When you stuff arrives, a man comes to inspect it, and this costs around $150 - $200. Shippers cant exactly say how much the total bill will be, because if AQIS find something wrong , ie, something needs cleaning or destroying, then this is a separte cost to you.

The insurance is: (taken from another thread)

The company I ( and many others) will / have used are Letton Percival - www.lettonpercival.co.uk (formerly Merseyside Insurance Services). The contact there is a guy called Brian Naughton or Andrew Leaver (0151 236 4568) and both are very friendly and more than willing to help. They charge 1.53% for the policy which is pretty much half of the cost of all removals companies.

Chris
Nice one...will have a look at that in a mo
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Chris,

Do you have a website url for Crown handy ?

Thanks for the insurance details.

AndyF
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndyF
Chris,

Do you have a website url for Crown handy ?

Thanks for the insurance details.

AndyF

www.crownrelo.com
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi

Crown & PSS have come up the best so far, Crown has quoted more... but has said that once we get a quote from PSS they would come down in price to match them. The prices for us for a 20ft was the same as Chris`s, but we have sold a load of bits and are now doing a shared container...it will now only cost us £2.000 Looking into the insurance at the moment.

Good luck

Sue
Sue,

Do you know how many cubic metres you are using in the shared container for £2000 ?

Thanks
AndyF
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:40 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

hiya everyone,

We must be getting close now as it,s time to sort out some shipping quotes.Has anyone with recent experience of shippers good or bad got any details that might help us and anyone else who is in the same boat (sorry i just had to).

Also what are the costs of say an average container (is that 20 foot)and what should we be aware about any extras we may get charged for on the other side?

thanks dave
Hey you how ya doing, getting all sorted I bet.... hows the sale of the house coming on? Has the survey been done yet?

Haev you booked your flights yet then, when you going.... could we meet you before you go. Perhaps at the pub....let us know before you go won't you.

Good luck with it all

Ang & Tich
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue,

Do you know how many cubic metres you are using in the shared container for £2000 ?

Thanks
AndyF

Just had a look...we have had 2 quotes, one with 2 large wardrobes and one without - with is 537 cubic feet £2330.00 ..... without is 397 £1812.00 that is with PSS.

Sue
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Just had a look...we have had 2 quotes, one with 2 large wardrobes and one without - with is 537 cubic feet £2330.00 ..... without is 397 £1812.00 that is with PSS.

Sue
I had a quote from a company called FN Worldwide (www.fnworldwide.com) based in Lincs, they quoted me £1927 for 11.67 cu metres which is just over 400 cubic feet, they also gave me a sole use 20footer quote of £2,945 which sounded quite reasonable. Dont know how reliable they are though. I'm going to get some quotes from Crown (they have a local office in Leeds) and PSS to compare.

We're thinking of selling a lot of our bigger things like wardrobes and beds, just because it seems to make quite a difference with the freight cost.

Thanks for all your info, really useful.
AndyF
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had a quote from a company called FN Worldwide (www.fnworldwide.com) based in Lincs, they quoted me £1927 for 11.67 cu metres which is just over 400 cubic feet, they also gave me a sole use 20footer quote of £2,945 which sounded quite reasonable. Dont know how reliable they are though. I'm going to get some quotes from Crown (they have a local office in Leeds) and PSS to compare.

We're thinking of selling a lot of our bigger things like wardrobes and beds, just because it seems to make quite a difference with the freight cost.

Thanks for all your info, really useful.
AndyF

We did have a very good price from a local firm called Simpson's but was worried as we don`t know anyone that has used them + they haven`t got a base in Oz, so they would use a agency to unpack...not 100% about that.

Good luck

Sue
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We did have a very good price from a local firm called Simpson's but was worried as we don`t know anyone that has used them + they haven`t got a base in Oz, so they would use a agency to unpack...not 100% about that.

Good luck

Sue
The other problem with using small local firms - as I discovered - is that they usually subcontract out the actual shipping. So although you book with them, your shipping will be done by one of the larger international firms - in my case I booked with a Sussex form, and then discovered that they handed the stuff over to ***** ******** to be shipped, without informing me.
Better off booking with someone more well-known, then you know who has your goods from start to finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.