Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To ship or not to ship.... ?

To ship or not to ship.... ?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:32 pm
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To ship or not to ship.... ?

Hi all - I was wondering if any of you can help with a dilema.... me and my OH head out to the Sunshine Coast at the end of November. The dilema I have is that I don't know whether to ship all worldly goods there or not....... it will cost about £3,000 ish to ship everything over but then if things don't work out and we come back to the UK it will cost another £3,000 to bring it all back.

Any thoughts??
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all
Default Re: To ship or not to ship.... ?

Originally Posted by Sue Stockport
Hi all - I was wondering if any of you can help with a dilema.... me and my OH head out to the Sunshine Coast at the end of November. The dilema I have is that I don't know whether to ship all worldly goods there or not....... it will cost about £3,000 ish to ship everything over but then if things don't work out and we come back to the UK it will cost another £3,000 to bring it all back.

Any thoughts??
Yep Ive thought about this long and hard, and to be honest I myself dont think its worth it, so im selling all my stuff, and heading there with just a load of suitcases........ i can replace everything after a while...........
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts??
We shipped everything, & am glad we did because we are not going back, but if you are coming with a chance you might not like it, then dont ship anything, really its as simple as that.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: To ship or not to ship.... ?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We shipped everything, & am glad we did because we are not going back, but if you are coming with a chance you might not like it, then dont ship anything, really its as simple as that.
Also shipped everything, and so glad we did.

You can replace everything here except quality.

Maggie
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggieM
Also shipped everything, and so glad we did.

You can replace everything here except quality.

Maggie
So true, I wished I brought more, but there was no more room.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

im halving what I am taking and saving on unnecessary fee container space now.

Selling stuff I cant be aesed with, 20ft with my car and filled boot, and 5ft of boxes, high value furniture which isnt much,and flat packs, cheap as chips.

no sofas or anything, get them there cheap along with new fridge...

my thinking is, get into a rental unfurnished buy the stuff I need to replace, and by the time it arrives, complete the house.

the money you save, on a FF rental for say 8 weeks, can be around $3000, will buy you necessary items that are keepers
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Carole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to all

Hi Sue,

We are shipping all our worldly belongings out to Brisbane on the 22nd November, the only reason we are, is that everything is moderately new and very modern, all matching and some things we have, it took me ages to find, to get the right look, and the odd thing is quite expensive (dining table, suite, and garden furniture.) But I may have thought differently a couple of years ago before we replaced everything.

The shipping cost £3,595 for a 20ft sole container from Crown relocation, so considering I am taking everything ba the kitchen sink, i think it will be worth it.
After all you still have to replace it, and may not get the same quality or taste as you did back here. You the have to consider the stress and hassle of replacing absolutely everything, even to the bbitsythings we all take for granted.

Hey noticed you are from Stockport, as you can see so am I, We fly out with Singapore Airlines on the 27th November from Manchester.

Carole
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by on a mission
im halving what I am taking and saving on unnecessary fee container space now.

Selling stuff I cant be aesed with, 20ft with my car and filled boot, and 5ft of boxes, high value furniture which isnt much,and flat packs, cheap as chips.

no sofas or anything, get them there cheap along with new fridge...

my thinking is, get into a rental unfurnished buy the stuff I need to replace, and by the time it arrives, complete the house.

the money you save, on a FF rental for say 8 weeks, can be around $3000, will buy you necessary items that are keepers
Who are your removals with. We trying to get a quote for 2 motorbikes and just furntiture from living room and one bedroom. We feel like we getting ripped off with bikes as it seems to add £1000 to shipping cost..they seem to add them as extra space rather than including them in the 20 foot space..if that makes sense!! Would be interested to hear who you going with and what they are charging..
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Any thoughts??
We also have gone round and round with this one had the last guy round today.

So we have had 5 companys round and the quotes are quite a bit differant.

ranging from £2600 to £3500.

our stuff is pretty old apart from recliner leather sofas and a bloody great bed.

Ive just priced up alist from Target - Kmart and Super A mart and i can get new for about £4000. these things are on offer of coarse but we are in no hurry to replace will be stayin with sister to start with.

Plus i love to shop for a bargin.

so have finally decided today not gonna bother taking stuff will sell off what i can and replace when i can.

We are in this for the long term have no house to sell and limited funds bloody dog takin a large part of it, so would be hard to get back.

Dont even want to think about what if we want to come back there is no comin back.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:37 am
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mum01753
We also have gone round and round with this one had the last guy round today.

So we have had 5 companys round and the quotes are quite a bit differant.

ranging from £2600 to £3500.

our stuff is pretty old apart from recliner leather sofas and a bloody great bed.

Ive just priced up alist from Target - Kmart and Super A mart and i can get new for about £4000. these things are on offer of coarse but we are in no hurry to replace will be stayin with sister to start with.

Plus i love to shop for a bargin.

so have finally decided today not gonna bother taking stuff will sell off what i can and replace when i can.

We are in this for the long term have no house to sell and limited funds bloody dog takin a large part of it, so would be hard to get back.

Dont even want to think about what if we want to come back there is no comin back.
Thanks for all your replies...... seems that there are a few who struggle with the same dilema. To be honest, the only real things I'm bothered about leaving behind is a new leather sofa I recently bought that was quite expensive and my bed.... how sad am I?! It took me ages to find them and I will hate to leave them behind but then is it really worth just taking them?!

Carole - I'm from Hazel Grove so not far from you at all..... we've not booked flights yet.... I leave work on Friday and that's when I plan to sort shipping (or not as the case may be), flights etc but we're planning to go towards the end of November and you never know we could end up on the same flight.... I will keep you posted x