Reload this Page >

sharks in victoria

sharks in victoria

Old Sep 25th 2005, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sharks in victoria

hi guys
can anybody tell me about sharks of the vic coast line(apart from those selling cars ).i know there are plenty of great whites near adelaide,do they travel down to vic my 6 year old asked me about this the other day
Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sharks in victoria

Originally Posted by pom plumber
hi guys
can anybody tell me about sharks of the vic coast line(apart from those selling cars ).i know there are plenty of great whites near adelaide,do they travel down to vic my 6 year old asked me about this the other day

Yeah they sure do. We have quite a large seal colony just off Philip Island so if the great whites fancy lunch this is where they dine.
Not sure when the last shark attack was in Vic but you see the spotters out in there little planes during the summer.

I'm not 100% on this but I think the largest Great white ever caught was caught in Vic waters.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeah they sure do. We have quite a large seal colony just off Philip Island so if the great whites fancy lunch this is where they dine.
Not sure when the last shark attack was in Vic but you see the spotters out in there little planes during the summer.

I'm not 100% on this but I think the largest Great white ever caught was caught in Vic waters.
thanks bordy my little lad loves sharks,he;ll be made up telling mates at school he;s going where the big sharks live(his mother looks worried though :scared: )
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:20 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pom plumber
hi guys

Just how safe is it to swim and surf off the Adelaide coast..??? :scared:

CORKER
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

What gets me is people keep banging on about great white sharks off the Australian coast yet the Meditteranean is full of them yet people don't keep saying "ooh, you're going to Greece on your holidays, better watch out for great whites"

http://www.zoo.co.uk/~z9015043/medws_pics.html

Last edited by renth; Sep 26th 2005 at 12:22 am.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CORKER

CORKER
No problems if you are a great white ....

WW
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

And there was that great piece in the UK papers last week about a couple of Brit divers who were separated from their dive boat at the Great Barrier reef last week.
"they were surrounded by sharks' - yep daft reef sharks who are as much of a danger as a shoal of any other fish. Still that shark word is good for news reporting!

50,000 people are injured p.a. in car accidents, think something like 25 people in 10ish years have been injured in shark attacks- as far as I am aware most were surfers who were way out in shark territory.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:51 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by CORKER

CORKER
Your alot safer swimming and surfing on Adelaide's beaches then driving on Adelaides roads.
3 people are killed by sharks a year in OZ compared to 1,600 killed in car accidents per year.

Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:55 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
Your alot safer swimming and surfing on Adelaide's beaches then driving on Adelaides roads.
3 people are killed by sharks a year in OZ compared to 1,600 killed in car accidents per year.
You forgot the bit about being struck by lightning
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:06 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

On the Melways Map for the place Bordy mentioned above, it says something like "greatest concentration of Gt White Sharks in Southern Australia".

You get Nurse Sharks in Port Philip Bay but these are not considered very dangerous. There is a place on the Mornington Peninsula which is called Safety Beach but used to be known as Shark Bay (I bet the sharks took little notice of that )

Last Year at the Blairgowrie sailing regatta, a shark was seen. Now normally the patrol boat should go along side the shark and irritate it so that it goes away. However, this time, they decided to poke the shark with a pole; which provoked the shark into having a go at the boat. No harm done in the end - both parties went their separate ways.

A
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:09 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Del Boy
You forgot the bit about being struck by lightning
Yes, you are around 3 times more likely to be killed by lightning then a shark.
An average of 10 people are killed by being struck by lightning per year in OZ compared to 3 people killed by sharks per year.

Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:25 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
Yes, you are around 3 times more likely to be killed by lightning then a shark.
An average of 10 people are killed by being struck by lightning per year in OZ compared to 3 people killed by sharks per year.
thats better, well done
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
thats better, well done
Well there was the guy surfing at a beach near Perth [scarborough] last week , a shark went for him, not a big one about 1 metre, and he punched it. would have love to have seen that.
But seriously my kids love it in the sea, and i shark watch, you cant be too careful. But i was more afraid of them being hit by a turd in UK or a ST. By the way i am from Morecambe we was voted the dirtiest beach in Britain
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:46 am
wombat42

Sharks don't really view humans as prey, we taste dreadful to them and we are hard to digest because we have so many bones. They only attack humans if they are really hungry or mistake us for seals, often when people are wearing black wet suits. Often a shark takes just one small bite off somebody and does'nt like the taste and realises its not a seal or normal prey then swims off.

Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:54 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by cranni
Well there was the guy surfing at a beach near Perth [scarborough] last week , a shark went for him, not a big one about 1 metre, and he punched it. would have love to have seen that.
But seriously my kids love it in the sea, and i shark watch, you cant be too careful. But i was more afraid of them being hit by a turd in UK or a ST. By the way i am from Morecambe we was voted the dirtiest beach in Britain
The best thing to do if attacked by a shark is to fight back and punch it in the nose or try to poke its eyes out if you can, then the shark might think your not worth the trouble and swim off. But it might not be much use against an enormous great white
The biggest danger swimming in the ocean is drowning.

Last edited by wombat42; Sep 26th 2005 at 2:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.