Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

I am terrified of being eaten by a Shark, i know it is a groundless fear because my chances of getting eaten by a Shark in Scotland is pretty damn near zero.

However, my chances will increase somewhat when i move to Oz. What is the feeling of the people who live there? Do you hear about people being attacked by Sharks on a Weekly / Monthly basis?

Am i being irrational?

Damn you Stephen Speilberg...Damn you to hell.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:16 pm
Formerly Windsurfer UK

windsurfer WA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I am terrified of being eaten by a Shark, i know it is a groundless fear because my chances of getting eaten by a Shark in Scotland is pretty damn near zero.

However, my chances will increase somewhat when i move to Oz. What is the feeling of the people who live there? Do you hear about people being attacked by Sharks on a Weekly / Monthly basis?

Am i being irrational?

Been here a month now, not seen one yet but then, we do live in a cul-de- sac.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:16 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Am i being irrational?

Thank god its not just me! Only watched Jaws once and the damage was done for life!

Went on hols to Torquay, Victoria last year, and kids were in the sea, didnt relax for one minute, despite being told not had shark attack for years. All I could think was, today will be the bloody day they do attack and my kids are in the sea. How rational is that?!

Not much better with snakes and spiders either! Why oh Why are we going to Oz, would be better off here I think! No dangerours spiders, snakes and definately no sharks!

For some stupid reason though, I still want to go!

Jo
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You are both being irrational.

There is rarely anything in the news about shark attacks.

There is not usually anyone left alive to tell the story. :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:24 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Am i being irrational?

Very irrational, have been swimming most my life at beaches in oz. If you want to swim at a beach, try to swim at a patrolled beach. There are people that look out for sharks. If you can try to go to an aquarium, you can scuba dive with the sharks. It mite help with any fears you have about the shark.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

I know it's a crazy thing to be scared off, well, it isn't really. I don't know anybody who would like to be bitten in half or eviscerated by the razor sharp teeth of a 16 foot long monster.

<shudder>
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:39 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

I know it's a crazy thing to be scared off, well, it isn't really. I don't know anybody who would like to be bitten in half or eviscerated by the razor sharp teeth of a 16 foot long monster.

<shudder>

My point entirely!

Jo
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Really, you'll be okay...they are all 18 foot here.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough

Am i being irrational?

This really made me laugh, sending you some karma.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:52 pm
Mount Eliza

Originally Posted by Bix
Really, you'll be okay...they are all 18 foot here.
And thats supposed to reassure me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Don't walk on nature strips either as there full of snakes.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Joanne
And thats supposed to reassure me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo
But the bigger ones have difficulty cutting you in half because of the space between their teeth.

They would have to chew so you get some extra seconds of life.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:22 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

You're more likely to get attacked by a shark at dawn or dusk, so avoid swimming then and you should be OK!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:35 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
You're more likely to get attacked by a shark at dawn or dusk, so avoid swimming then and you should be OK!
I have been diving with a few sharks - they aint scarey at all, its the giant squids you wanna be weary of - another lamb Bhoona over here please....
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont think the ones in Oz are rubber either??!!

Last edited by Rooksie; Apr 19th 2005 at 2:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.