Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shark attack in Adelaide

Shark attack in Adelaide

Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shark attack in Adelaide

Originally Posted by carojey
I am now very worried about my little boy who is not even 2 yet - growing up in that surfie lifestyle and getting eaten by a shark and I will be responsible for taking him away from safe old Milton Keynes in the first place. Great and we go in 3 weeks!
I am actually quite scared of big waves so when I was in Oz I never went past the breakers altho I have been Scuba diving and snorkelling lots.

Does anyone know if you can get attacked when you're over reef? I thought the big sharks couldn't get there....
The big killer sharks tend not to hang around reefs and prefer deeper open water. Divers rarely get attacked unless they are doing something stupid. The number of attacks is minimal and they always make a good media scare story. The TV stations here are perticularly rediculous at overhyping a very rare situation. If they put the same coverage into fatal road accidents the news would have to be on 24 hours.

I will be going out on the Ocean later and there will be sharks around (mainly wobbygongs). Even more dangerous is that I will be going for a swim in the harbour next year. Loads more sharks in there especially early in the morning when the race starts. It has been a long time since anyone has been taken in the harbour.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:31 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bondipom]The big killer sharks tend not to hang around reefs and prefer deeper open water. Divers rarely get attacked unless they are doing something stupid. The number of attacks is minimal and they always make a good media scare story. The TV stations here are perticularly rediculous at overhyping a very rare situation. If they put the same coverage into fatal road accidents the news would have to be on 24 hours.

Tiss true.

The next time one hears of a death in car smash will on stop driving?

A plane crash will one stop flying?

So on and so on........................

The safest thing to do is stay in your house and not take any risks, then there's always the chance of being burgled by an axe murderer.......
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:41 pm
aussie73

I am now very worried about my little boy who is not even 2 yet - growing up in that surfie lifestyle and getting eaten by a shark and I will be responsible for taking him away from safe old Milton Keynes in the first place. Great and we go in 3 weeks!
I am actually quite scared of big waves so when I was in Oz I never went past the breakers altho I have been Scuba diving and snorkelling lots.

Does anyone know if you can get attacked when you're over reef? I thought the big sharks couldn't get there....
Around 500 australians drown at beaches each year compared to around 2
Australians killed by sharks and the are mainly scuba divers not swimmers.
Drowning is the biggest danger facing your son, shark attacks are freak events and because they make headline news when they happen the problem seems far more serious then it is, while drownings don't make the headlines.
Your much more likely to be killed in a car crash or even a large commercial plane crash, or train crash yet you still drive and fly so still swim.

Old Dec 18th 2004, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough

OK I think I 'd better book the swimming lessons then - now I'm having visions of Jude being swept out to sea and I won't be able to save him cos I can't swim strongly enough

Do they have sea-swimming lessons out there? I mean I'm fine with a few lengths of breast stroke but those big waves are a bit much...

I suppose just gotta be rational and get past the fears or else be stuck in the house - there are risks with everything you do!
Old Dec 18th 2004, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bondipom
I will be going out on the Ocean later and there will be sharks around (mainly wobbygongs). Even more dangerous is that I will be going for a swim in the harbour next year. Loads more sharks in there especially early in the morning when the race starts. It has been a long time since anyone has been taken in the harbour.
Why will you be swimming in the harbour if that is not a stupid question?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 3:57 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I still get Ninemsn on my computer so read all about it on the news page. poor lad, and what a way to watch your mate go - how awful for them all.

Isn't this the second attack in the past few days?! Thought the planes flying over every few minutes spotted them?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 9:05 pm

Why will you be swimming in the harbour if that is not a stupid question?
Triathlon thing that I do for work every year.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 10:55 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
I still get Ninemsn on my computer so read all about it on the news page. poor lad, and what a way to watch your mate go - how awful for them all.

Isn't this the second attack in the past few days?! Thought the planes flying over every few minutes spotted them?
In south west WA there have been 7 sightings of sharks in the past 11 days compared to 14 for the whole of last years season :scared:

Mainly around the Margaret River area where the surfer was taken couple of months back.
Old Dec 18th 2004, 11:25 pm
wombat42

19,999,998 Australians are'nt eaten by sharks each year.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:21 am

Miracles happen. I went for a swim and was not chomped up by a hungry white pointer. Even more amazing no one else in the water was being munched on.

I even made it back home without getting bitten by a redback, funnel web or brown snake. Maybe I will survive the lucky country.