Shark attack...

Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shark attack...

Just caught the tail end of the news..

Shark attack up in Geraldton, in WA, someone snorkelling, body aint turned up yet, anyone heard the same?

Kala if you're about, you heard anything?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:06 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark attack...

Originally Posted by walla1

Shark attack up in Geraldton, in WA, someone snorkelling, body aint turned up yet, anyone heard the same?

http://www.skynews.com.au/index.asp
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:16 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I heard that too - couldnt find anything on it on the web at the time, but I see Sky have issued something now.

Kala - know any more, was the guy recovered?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I heard that too - couldnt find anything on it on the web at the time, but I see Sky have issued something now.

Kala - know any more, was the guy found?
Hey Michelle, not according to Sky News......
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:18 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hey Michelle, not according to Sky News......

Yeah, I just read that - changed my post to 'recovered' (meaning the body).
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:27 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

afaic If you want to play in the shark`s back yard, then that`s the risk you take... normally they mistake people for seals and stuff anyway (which is why they don`t eat them... well, not much of them anyway). I`d be more worried about stepping on a blue-ringed octopus or a stone-fish.

Here`s some fun reading:

http://www.trinity.wa.edu.au/plduffy.../pe/marine.htm

"There are about 350 species of sharks, only 30 species could potentially be dangerous to humans and only 12 are reported potentially aggressive and dangerous. To put things in perspective 300 times more drowning are reported than fatal shark attacks."

Last edited by Stormz; Mar 19th 2005 at 11:33 am.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:01 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

The guy was killed on the Abrolhos Islands, They are basically 50ks off Gero and are a group of about 100 Islands that are for the majority of the year uninhabited. The reason for this is that the land is protected. From March the 14th and July the Island Cray fishing season runs, during this time the cray fishermen and their families live there, they are the only people who are allowed to stay over night but there are day trips run from Gero (either flying or jumping on a boat) where people can snorkle etc and a few other trips such as the one the guy was on today which was a Perth to the Kimberlies cruise.

The islands are absolutely beautifull, the reef is the furthest south reef in the world and because the land is protected the colours are amazing.

Ant's best mate who lives here with us is a cray fisherman so has for the last 7 years lived there for the 4 month crayfishing season, he went out last week and Ant went out on Wednesday for the day and night. Sharks are common out there, lots of Mako's (SP?) etc but as blokes who are brought up on the ocean always say, they will be no problem etc etc. Obviously that is wrong.

We have been unable to get hold of our friend so were (god this sounds awfull) quite glad to hear that it wasn't a crayfisherman.

If I hear anything else I'l let you know, but I am pretty sure that it is goin to make the season very dificult unless they catch the shark as the fishermen often have to dive to get the post when they get snagged on the reef.

Kala
Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:29 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

a) how would they know which shark had attacked?

b) even if they did find it, would it be fair to kill it, just for doing what it does naturally?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:41 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormz
a) how would they know which shark had attacked?

b) even if they did find it, would it be fair to kill it, just for doing what it does naturally?
A, They dont know what shark attacked yet, but at 20ft there is speculation that it is a Great White/ White pointer (whichever you want to call it) which is strange for one to be up here as the water should be too warm.

B, I really dont know, the answer to that, I can see both sides of the argument,which is why I said catch rather than kill however if it was a friend or family member of mine to be honest I'd want it dead even if just to recover the body.

I can tell you one thing, I wont be goin for a midnight swim tonight :scared:

Kala
Old Mar 19th 2005, 1:52 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont agree that sharks should be killed, firstly because you might get the wrong one but also because at the end of the day you're putting yourself into the shark's natural habitat so should be aware of the dangers.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 3:36 pm
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by bridiej
I dont agree that sharks should be killed, firstly because you might get the wrong one but also because at the end of the day you're putting yourself into the shark's natural habitat so should be aware of the dangers.
Agree. Even if I was attacked by a shark I wouldn`t want the thing killed. Great Whites are endangered enough already.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:42 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

What time of day was the attack read yesterday that they hunt at dawn n dusk most of the time ?
Still would be more worried about some hoon on a jet ski hitting me than a shark
Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:09 pm
wombat42

Around 3 people are killed by sharks in OZ each year compared to 600 drowning. Whenever someone is killed by a shark it not only makes headline news in OZ but also makes news in the Uk. This makes the danger seem far greater then the reality. Being killed by a shark in a freak event you are much more likely to be struck by lightning.A family of Five people drowned at a beach near where l live when a large wave washed them off a rockface and it barely made news outside the state. Most shark attacks happen to scuba divers deep out to sea, not people surfing or swimming at the beach.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 19th 2005 at 9:18 pm.

Old Mar 20th 2005, 2:40 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Perthforme
What time of day was the attack read yesterday that they hunt at dawn n dusk most of the time ?
Still would be more worried about some hoon on a jet ski hitting me than a shark
2pm

Kala
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:26 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JayDeee
2pm

Kala
The crew wouldn't have just dumped the remains of lunch overboard at that time, would they? Maybe the shark thought it was getting a first-class meal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.