Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shared container

Wikiposts

Shared container

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of
Question Shared container

Hi,

Anyone used a shared container to ship goods to Oz (Perth)? If so, I would be very grateful if you could post your experience of doing this.
Currently looking at paying £3500 + ins for sole use of a 20ft container and if I can shave about £1500 from this using a shared container I would certainly give it serious consideration.

Would welcome anyones views on pros and cons of each method.

Thank in advance for any info/advice/views given.

Regards,
Darren
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shared container

Originally Posted by aus2be
Hi,

Anyone used a shared container to ship goods to Oz (Perth)? If so, I would be very grateful if you could post your experience of doing this.
Currently looking at paying £3500 + ins for sole use of a 20ft container and if I can shave about £1500 from this using a shared container I would certainly give it serious consideration.

Regards,
Darren
where you off to?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by on a mission
where you off to?
Hoping to be in Perth May '08.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

foreveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Darren

We used PSS to do our move to Perth.
We did lots of research on this site & others regarding shared containers phoned the popular shipping companies etc to discuss it with them, bit the bullet & went for it.

The guys from PSS were very helpfull & our goods are currently on the way.

Will let you know in a few weeks how things work out

Foreveryoung1
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:39 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Regards,
Darren
Hi we used Britannia and had a shared container 2 years ago.

Everything arrived ok, eventually! It was sent too Brisbane first to have sharers stuff unloaded but in the confusion they unloaded our stuff also and ours was then sent overland and arrived in Perth 3 months later. Ok if you are not really waiting for furniture or tools for work etc.

Mrs Kevinl.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreveryoung1 - I look forward to an update as to how your move went.

kevinl - That is the kind of problem that my wife is concerned about. I wonder if there is any chance of sharing a container with someone who is also going to Perth?

Regards,
Darren
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

foreveryoung1 - I look forward to an update as to how your move went.

kevinl - That is the kind of problem that my wife is concerned about. I wonder if there is any chance of sharing a container with someone who is also going to Perth?

Regards,
Darren
We have got a price for a shared container also going from Dublin to Perth. It worked out about €700 cheaper than our own 20ft. This is with Pickfords. Would be interested to know of anyones experiences with them. I am also afraid our stuff may get mixed up with the other peoples and be left waiting months to get it sorted.

Sandra
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sandav
We have got a price for a shared container also going from Dublin to Perth. It worked out about €700 cheaper than our own 20ft. This is with Pickfords. Would be interested to know of anyones experiences with them. I am also afraid our stuff may get mixed up with the other peoples and be left waiting months to get it sorted.

Sandra
have space in mine if anyone interested jan 08.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:17 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

We had a shared container when we came over, we only brought 72 boxes (full of shit not literally though)

Our stuff arrived 2 1/2 months after us as it was delayed in Singapore for a couple of weeks (not sure why)

We used Robinsons, excellent company, explained everything, was very good with the packing (including the video cam that was put to one side ) everything turned up as expected (although did worry about that vid cam as it wasn't on the list but it arrived )
NOT a single breakage, not bad considering we shipped over (ok ok i did) 2 fine bone china tea sets

We would recommend them totally!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:57 am
Heading to Brisbane

snoopyntommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Regards,
Darren
Hi! Not sure who all you've tried but we had Quote from McGimpseys (Co.Down) and don't think it was as high as that. We are looking at shared container, but we're heading to Brisbane!!

All the best with your move!