Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sh*t it's scary!

Sh*t it's scary!

Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sh*t it's scary!

Originally Posted by Grayling
You seem to be getting annoyed about people trying to give you good advice.

Many employers use 457 visas to put people into hard to fill, unpopular posts. It is also very easy for them to get rid of you if the job does not work out.

It is not easy for you to leave them. If you leave the job then you will have to leave the country.

As a nurse it is very easy to get a PR visa which then gives you the freedom to work where you want.

If they want you that badly then they should be prepared to sponsor you for PR from the start.

there have been a lot of nurses who got themselves into difficulties with temp visas.

it may not happen to you but why take the risk when PR is so easy?

Your life.

G
The job I have been offered is a very good job with a much better rate of pay than I would of ever hoped for (as it is the equivalent of what I am being paid for over here) and understandabley they aren't going to wait the extra time it would take for PR as they could easly employ somebody who could fill the post quicker.

As I understand it if they sponsor me for PR then I would be commited to them for 3 years which I don't want, This way I can commit to them for the time it takes for our PR to come through and then if not happy in the job move on.

Constructive advise is more than welcome, but this is our decision we feel there maybe a small element of risk and there are restrictions but on balance this is the way we have decided to do it.

Our original plan was to come over on a skilled workers visa, but the job offer and timescale meant that we changed our plans. we still fully intend to apply for PR ASAP once we get there.

I apologise if I come across as being annoyed, but constructive or real advise is welcome rather than "don't do it, this way is better!" we know that PR from the outset is probably better in the long run but the job is to good not to accept.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Mark. You seem to know what you are doing and that you have done your homework. Follow your heart and instincts....good luck
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by WendyC
This is why I think you should be careful taking this route.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=story

The hospital may be employing you, but the agency WILL be sponsoring you which means you are tied to the agency.

Not negativity just experience of seeing people used time and time again by agencies.
The agency have found me the job and it is the hospital that are nominating/sponsoring us, I have this as fact from the hospital and will be employed by the hospital so will not have any ties to the agency.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulrachel
hi Mark. You seem to know what you are doing and that you have done your homework. Follow your heart and instincts....good luck
thanks paulrachel
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcrook
The agency have found me the job and it is the hospital that are nominating/sponsoring us, I have this as fact from the hospital and will be employed by the hospital so will not have any ties to the agency.

Ok

Good luck
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it if they sponsor me for PR then I would be commited to them for 3 years
Why
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully in 12 months time we will be able to look back in hindsight and tell you whether we did the right or wrong thing in going out on a temporary visa and then applying for PR.

I apologise if I have been shouting
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully in 12 months time we will be able to look back in hindsight and tell you whether we did the right or wrong thing in going out on a temporary visa and then applying for PR.

Hopefully it will be good news.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

lol...it's stressful enough doing all the stuff in the UK to get here, then coming on BE can be even more stressful..I know what you are going through. Stick to your guns pal. It will be just fine.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:50 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Hiya,

I'm mark and a nurse working in Shropshire with my wife (who is also a nurse) and our two girls who are 6 and 3. We have made the decision to emmigrate to WA where my parents have lived for 11 years and my brother for 10 months!

I have had a telephone interview and been offered a good job in The Mount hospital in Perth, and are hoping to be out there early in the new year. We are planning on going out there on a two year temporay buisness visa - nominated by the Mount. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394782

The house is on the market, we have got some shipping companies comming to give us quotes - and it's getting scary - but exciting.

See you when you come in for your hip replacement!

Mark
Good luck Mark, we're off on a temp visa also and will apply for PR once we get there, the hospital said I could even apply for the PR (RSMS) at the same time as the temp and we might do this, they only use the temp visa in the first instance for speed...and this suits me! Certainly beats hanging around here waiting for a 136 application to move to the top of the pile at a snails pace
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

hi mark
my wife and i are also nurse's (and worked in shropshire!) i came to perth in may 06 on a 457 visa, but had submitted an application for pr in jan 06. we had to leave oz to get visa validated, but we knew that, and visa was granted 4 sept! if you want to pm me, i can give you a 'heads up' on some of the pro's and con's involved, and may be able to save you some money!
cheers
dom
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

Hi there.
I havent been on this site for ages, so logged on today and found someone quoting one of my posts, about our nightmare on the 457.
It is definately a quick way of getting here. We are still having problems with our recruitment agency, although Paul has now got work.
We are presently trying to go for the ENS visa (employer nominated sponsorship), so fingers crossed we will be able to get rid of the agency. Employment agencies cannot sponsor you for permanent residency, but in this case if you are being employed and sponsored direct by the hospital, you should be fine.
You can always apply for other visas once you get here, as I understand your urgency to get here.
We could be applying for the RSMS but this means we have to work and indeed live in a certain area, and we dont want to be restricted on where we can live or work, so the ENS is the best for us. This of course means going through the TRA, which we are just about to tackle.

Its much easier to find sponsors once you are over here, but I understand what others are saying, as we are over 45 so we need to be sponsored which is a hassle in itself, but if you are under 45 there is much easier routes. Sometimes the urgency to get here takes over. You seem to have everything sorted, and I am sure the hospital you will be working at will be great.

We too are from Shropshire, Market Drayton and Shrewsbury all our lives, but australia is the one for us. We are trying desperately to stay here, and the cost of the visas is now running into thousands of dollars. The cost of our new 457 is around $800, and the ENS is $4,400, but worth every penny just to get out of the hands of the recruitment agency who sponsored us in the first place.

Do whatever you think best. If you need to get here quickly then the 457 is the one, just try to apply for a permanent visa as soon as you can after that.

I wish you a safe journey to Australia, and good luck with any visa that you may obtain.
Jill
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WacandJill
Hi there.
I havent been on this site for ages, so logged on today and found someone quoting one of my posts, about our nightmare on the 457.
It is definately a quick way of getting here. We are still having problems with our recruitment agency, although Paul has now got work.
We are presently trying to go for the ENS visa (employer nominated sponsorship), so fingers crossed we will be able to get rid of the agency. Employment agencies cannot sponsor you for permanent residency, but in this case if you are being employed and sponsored direct by the hospital, you should be fine.
You can always apply for other visas once you get here, as I understand your urgency to get here.
We could be applying for the RSMS but this means we have to work and indeed live in a certain area, and we dont want to be restricted on where we can live or work, so the ENS is the best for us. This of course means going through the TRA, which we are just about to tackle.

Its much easier to find sponsors once you are over here, but I understand what others are saying, as we are over 45 so we need to be sponsored which is a hassle in itself, but if you are under 45 there is much easier routes. Sometimes the urgency to get here takes over. You seem to have everything sorted, and I am sure the hospital you will be working at will be great.

We too are from Shropshire, Market Drayton and Shrewsbury all our lives, but australia is the one for us. We are trying desperately to stay here, and the cost of the visas is now running into thousands of dollars. The cost of our new 457 is around $800, and the ENS is $4,400, but worth every penny just to get out of the hands of the recruitment agency who sponsored us in the first place.

Do whatever you think best. If you need to get here quickly then the 457 is the one, just try to apply for a permanent visa as soon as you can after that.

I wish you a safe journey to Australia, and good luck with any visa that you may obtain.
Jill
Good to hear from you Jill, I'm glad things are looking up for you now.

Good luck with your ENS application
Wendy
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:56 pm
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Why?

I don't understand all the negativity about going over on a two year visa ! It is a valid visa! I have got a job offer and it is my new employer who is nominating me (us-the family) for the visa so that we can get out there ASAP.

Then when we get there will then apply for PR, and we will have two years to get things sorted.

I've said this in another post, first of all I am an optomist, thats part of the reason we feel we can make a better life for our selves in Oz. Secondly we are not going into this blind - we have spent a lot of time researching all aspects of our application and future life in Oz before comming to the decision that we could give it a go and make it work.

We are unlikely to turn our and our childrens lives on their head without having some idea what we are getting into!

Part of the reason for going to Oz is to get away from the negative winging pom attitude that drags the UK down (sorry if I offend anyone).

Thanks Welshgirl for your positive comments,

I can't wait to start working at the Mount, free parking is always good to know! I am going to be working in orthopaedics, where does your partner and best friend work? maybe I will bump into them.
At the end of the day only you have to know what's best for you and your family. I am a registered nurse, we came here in 2003 on a PR sub class 136 visa. I was offered STNI (state sponsored) by South Australia, but declined this as we wanted to live in Sydney, I managed to have a couple of interviews with agencies whilst in the UK, again I got the feeling for us that PR was the best way to go cos I wanted the oportunity to settle the girls into school ect prior to starting a job, because I knew I would have to work full time. Anyway, I walked into the local private hospital when I wanted to start work and managed to join their casual pool for nurses. I met a couple of nurses from the UK who had come on a sponsored working visa, they were a bit unhappy due to the working conditions at the hospital and had no choice they had to stay for the next two years. I on the otherhand took a look around at what was available and have never looked back really, I've worked in community nursing (the worst kind of nursing you can have here in Australia-very backwards compared to UK) and now work in cardiac/respiratory. IMO 2 years or so can seem a quick time but when you aren't enjoying your job it can seem a lifetime.

Well, it's up to you mate, only you will know which way to go, I would like to say something on your optimism, good on ya! but with all the research ect as I can vouch for, nothing prepares you for the reality when it does come, it took two years of research prior to our move and three years to get it right when we did get here. Those responding to your post on here are giving you their experiences and you don't have to listen, but take it from me, who's the most experience in all of this you or them

Wishing you all the best with your move whatever you decide
Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move.
We came out here on a 457 and applied for PR as soon as the 457 was granted (we got PR 9 months later) and in our case there were no problems. Ian is still with the same employers although he got a promotion within 3 months of starting and we are looking at staying here permanently all being well. Temporary visas have their drawbacks but in our case the fact that Ian had work was far more important and the only financial downside was the lack of child benefits until we got the PR. There are no extra school fees in Victoria for temporary visa holders and I don't think that there are any in WA either so that didn't affect anything. University or TAFE fees are higher but that wasn't an issue and from what we found out, buying on a temporary visa isn't a real hassle (you just don't get the first time buyer payment). We aren't in the medical profession but have a friend who is a doctor and has been here on a temp visa for 2 years; they are just going through the PR paperwork at the moment and as far as I am aware they are planning to stay put after that.The only problems that they have had relate to the silly way that doctors have to charge their fees and pay their taxes over here but that wouldn't affect you as an employee of a hospital.
Have fun and enjoy the roller coaster.
Nicky