Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Severely unaffordable housing market in Australia

Severely unaffordable housing market in Australia

Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severely unaffordable housing market in Australia

Originally Posted by copa
you've been in sydney too long ... the real esta e obsession there is amazing compared to many other places in Oz.
It's just the same in Brisbane.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Actually Canberra at a 5.1 multiple, is LESS affordable than those places, but more affordable than everywhere else listed in the UK.

It makes Canberra a good option, if you want an "affordable" property in Australia, at similar (5.0 v 5.1) "affordability" to Falkirk and Glasgow.
do you have 2002 prices for major cities?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane, QLD
World Position 238
Median House Price $410,000
Median Household Income $65,100
Multiple of Income 6.3
If anyone thinks they are going to come to Brisbane and find a wide range of houses in the $410,000 range they are in for a shock.....it is simply not possible in most suburbs.

G
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:24 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

When you take all the costs into consideration it doesn't cost that much more to build a larger house. So I guess most people want to pay the extra, even if it means no back yard.

Originally Posted by Burbage
Another issue in Australia is that no one seems to be building small affordable houses (certainly not round here). If you look at the newbuilds around at the moment they are all four bedroom large houses.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing Affordability

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

I've just spent an hour looking at house prices in the UK.

I was quite shocked at how high the prices still are - at least the asking prices.
We looked again on the weekend too, 3 different UK areas we know very well. I cannot see a stroke of difference from what they were 2 years ago. I commented on this a while back too.

I think you only have to look as far as BE to find the answer, cant sell my house threads get hundreds of responses. People dont sell their house at less than they bought it unless they are very desperate, even emigrating to OZ doesnt make people that desperate.

Maybe there are some bargains if the bank calls in the loan. I think in the UK they may go cheap, but in Australia, well qld anyway, try buying one, the law states they have to have 3 market values ( real sales not r RE talk ) and property cant go under a reserve set by those figures.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:58 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

What do they define as "Brisbane", the Brisbane city counsel area? Or do they include Ipswich and caboolture.

Originally Posted by Grayling
If anyone thinks they are going to come to Brisbane and find a wide range of houses in the $410,000 range they are in for a shock.....it is simply not possible in most suburbs.

G
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage
I think the survey is about homes that have been built already.
I was replying to your bit "Another issue in Australia is that no one seems to be building small affordable houses"

The survey does seem to be on existing houses, as they get the data from places like "Real Estate Institute of Australia median house prices".

Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by themerlin
What do they define as "Brisbane", the Brisbane city counsel area? Or do they include Ipswich and caboolture.
They are referring to the entire Brisbane area, which can extend just about as far as some parts of the Redlands in the East, I'm not sure how far West it goes.

The current median prices for specific sections of Brisbane are:
Houses
$690k Brisbane (in Brisbane North)
$430k Brisbane North
$350k Ipswich (in Brisbane West)
$380k Brisbane West
$410k Capalaba (in Brisbane East)
$501k Brisbane East

$320k Caboolture (in Bayside North)
$370k in Bayside North

Units
$400k Brisbane (in Brisbane North)
$349k Brisbane North
$ n/a Ipswich (in Brisbane West)
$340k Brisbane West
$ n/a Carindale (in Brisbane East)
$375k Brisbane East

$275k Caboolture (in Bayside North)
$325k in Bayside North

Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:16 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

It's just the same in Brisbane.
no it isn't. I lived in brisbane for 4 years and the difference between the real estate obsession in Syd and bris is huge.

You may find it bad in brisbane .... but trust me ... it is far worse in Sydney.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

There are houses in Somerville for just under three hundred and they are not that big but about thirty years old and on large land. People do not want to buy these houses unless for investment but they are good houses because they can be renovated cheaply and the land value is there. Also Frankston has a lot of reasonably priced houses in good areas as well not so large probably seventeen squares but the land is large, the area is older and has facilities not available in newer areas. The problem is the banks dont lend right up on these types of property unless you have another property to give them as security and therefore a larger deposit is required.

I think its the same everywhere but people are looking at property thinking oh I have to have this and that and the builders and developers are telling yes you do.

Our first home was only 12 squares but big enough for us and then we extended it when the children came along, then bought acreage built and moved here a long time ago.

Opportunities are around people just have to work out how much they want the house to control their lives or whether they would like more money in the pocket so they have control.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:23 am
Bitter and twisted

$380k Brisbane West
Where is brisbane west

You won't buy a house in any of the suburbs round here for $380k

there must be a lot of cheap houses somewhere if that is really the median.

where are all the cheap ones?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:33 am
ABCDiamond

Where is brisbane west

You won't buy a house in any of the suburbs round here for $380k

there must be a lot of cheap houses somewhere if that is really the median.

where are all the cheap ones?

I always assumed it was West of Brisbane, but then official figures include:
Greenslopes
Coorparoo
Chermside
Annerley
Ipswich
Forest Lake
Marsden
Logan Central

as just a few examples.

Your definition of Brisbane differs to the official definition, which covers a very wide area, hence the lower median pricing than you expected.

Personally I am puzzled by Greenslopes

Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Your definition of Brisbane differs to the official definition, which covers a very wide area, hence the lower median pricing than you expected.
well.....west of the inner west suburbs is the Brisbane forest park where there are very few houses so what your survey calls 'west' must extend for an awfully long way.....perhaps Toowoomba?

The inner west suburbs include (off the top of my head) taringa, Indooroopilly, ashgrove, Bardon, Rosalie,Toowong, Auchenflower, milton, the Gap, St.Lucia, paddington and a few more.

You will be hard pushed to find houses in those areas for $380k
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:01 am
ABCDiamond

well.....west of the inner west suburbs is the Brisbane forest park where there are very few houses so what your survey calls 'west' must extend for an awfully long way.....perhaps Toowoomba?

The inner west suburbs include (off the top of my head) taringa, Indooroopilly, ashgrove, Bardon, Rosalie,Toowong, Auchenflower, milton, the Gap, St.Lucia, paddington and a few more.

You will be hard pushed to find houses in those areas for $380k
Indooroopilly is classed as Brisbane West in the overall figures.

Toowoomba is Qld Rural $298,000 median

The West Brisbane figures appear to cover an area that goes down South a fair bit, including Goodna and Browns Plains.

And all of these are covered in the overall Brisbane figure, including Inala (Brisbane West)

The median prices for some of your areas mentioned are:
Taringa $725k
Paddington $725k
Auchenflower $740k

These are places I would term as Central Brisbane.

Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Indooroopilly is classed as Brisbane West in the overall figures.

Toowoomba is Qld Rural $298,000 median

The West Brisbane figures appear to cover an area that goes down South a fair bit, including Goodna and Browns Plains.

And all of these are covered in the overall Brisbane figure, including Inala (Brisbane West)

The median prices for some of your areas mentioned are:
Taringa $725k
Paddington $725k
Auchenflower $740k

These are places I would term as Central Brisbane.
I don't dispute that your figures are correct....I don't understand the classifications though.

As I said, west of the suburbs I mentioned, there are no houses apart from a few in the Forest and they won't be cheap.

I hope people realise that when discussing Brisbane house prices that the figures are based on a huge area and that many 'suburbs' are an awful long way from the city centre.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.