Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

birdies has a spectacular aura aboutbirdies has a spectacular aura aboutbirdies has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Hi Guys

I am new to this site been in perth a year and now feel i really need to make some good friends. Please could you add me to the list and maybe we could all get together and have a pommy party.

Thanks Liz
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

We have not been on this thread for a while as time just seems to run away from us. We have been here for just under 10 months and we absolutely love it here. I can honestly say it is the best thing we have ever done.

The kids have settled into their new schools and new life straight away and love everything about the place, especially my 4 year old. They have made loads of new friends. We also have made a lot of new friends and seem to be going out to alot of parties etc. We love where we live and have all settled in as though we have always lived here.

If anyone wants to update themselves or add themsleves to the list here is the link:

http://www.beupdate.co.uk/perthnewupdate.php

All the best to those still waiting for their visa, it is so worth the wait in the end.

Sarah.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdies
Hi Guys

I am new to this site been in perth a year and now feel i really need to make some good friends. Please could you add me to the list and maybe we could all get together and have a pommy party.

Thanks Liz
We've also been here a year and are not settling as we should be. We are finding it difficult to get reasonable jobs.

Where have you settled Liz? Do you have any kids?

We are here with our 17 year old son.

Our daughters are back in the UK.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

birdies has a spectacular aura aboutbirdies has a spectacular aura aboutbirdies has a spectacular aura about

hi there we are currently living in Iluka which is ok but finding new friends and a decent job for me is so difficult.

I have 2 kids and they have settled into their school i dont like schools as i find too much bitchyness between people so i stand well away or dont go at all or even keep myself to myself and just say hi.

Also i do find perth very quiet as i am used to being around horses all day long but in this heat i dont think so too many flies especially summer.

I do feel i will not stay here i will prob go over east as much more to see and do and the prob relocate back to my home town London!!!!!! but who knows what the next year or 2 brings i may even grow to like it better

where have you settled????
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Maida Vale, which is not too far from the airport.

My hubby has a cousin in Iluka though.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:11 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by birdies
Hi Guys

Thanks Liz
Hi Liz.
We're still trying to sell our house back here in the UK but if you look on the barbie thread they quite often have meet ups in Kings Park, they are usually every couple of weeks.
Hopefully our house will sell soon & we can make our move to Perth
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

hi i would try and leave the house there mate if you can as you never know if you would want to go back!!!!!

The market at home is as crap as it is here. We are renting ours out as i definately will go back to my home land!!!!! maybe for only 6 months of the year but that is the option we have which is nice.

good luck if you do sell the house

take carexxx
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really niceMottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by midgetjan
We've also been here a year and are not settling as we should be. We are finding it difficult to get reasonable jobs.

Where have you settled Liz? Do you have any kids?

We are here with our 17 year old son.

Our daughters are back in the UK.

We fly out 22nd August with our 18 year old son....we are leaving our daughter back here too! We have got a rental sorted out for 4 weeks in Meadow Springs and then we'll have a look in the same area Mandurah/Rockingham/Secret Harbour.
How is your son getting on with life in Oz, I have to say that is my one big worry whether our son will settle.
Would love to meet up when we arrive!!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Our son hates it here. He had left school just before we left Scotland last summer.

When we arrived here he didn't want to go back to school or go to college. He'd had enough of education and decided to get a job.

This is easier said than done as he doesn't drive and just about everyone wants someone who drives.

Result is he withdrew into himself - normally the life and soul of the party, he's become very withdrawn and spends every day inside either watching tv or playing on the computer. Not how we planned to live the dream.....

When I try to encourage him to leave the house and join clubs or try to find friends he just says he wants to go home to Scotland.

Sorry to sound all doom and gloom. Not everyone who comes here with teenagers has problems though, some settle in just great.

He is not a spoiled brat - he's just rather disillusioned and depressed.

I've tried getting him to learn to drive but he says there's no point as he doesn't want an Australian licence....

Last edited by midgetjan; Jul 22nd 2008 at 11:38 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

babypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there we have also been here 10 months! We are in Ellenbrook and finding it very hard to meet people!!!!
Daughter has settled in to school now although this is the 2nd school but she loves it now! Just me that needs some friends and things would be easier!!! Im sure we will get there in the end! I think we all have an idea of how this whole new life down under is going to be and get very disheartend when it doesn't all fall into place right away! But I had hoped 10months in i would have some friends!!! Really dont want to go back home we are giving it the 2 years and see what happens!!
Kelly X
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:47 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by babypom
Hi there we have also been here 10 months! We are in Ellenbrook and finding it very hard to meet people!!!!
Daughter has settled in to school now although this is the 2nd school but she loves it now! Just me that needs some friends and things would be easier!!! Im sure we will get there in the end! I think we all have an idea of how this whole new life down under is going to be and get very disheartend when it doesn't all fall into place right away! But I had hoped 10months in i would have some friends!!! Really dont want to go back home we are giving it the 2 years and see what happens!!
Kelly X
We are looking at moving to Ellenbrook! We have 3 children, primary & high school ages. Can you give me any info on the schools in Ellenbrook & how are you finding it? PM me if you prefer i'd appreciate any info
Dawn x
Old Jul 26th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Hi all,

Heres our story so far:

Arrived1st June offically 1st day of winter, and we know it - not a bit like Summer in UK. Houses cold, heating not good and sitting in blankets at night. Not a good start. Sure it will be good in summer when we want to be cooled down, but wish I hadn't cut my jeans down to make shorts!! Got rid of coats and generally forgot it might be cold!

Started off in holiday rental in Mullaloo, lovely house but would advise anyone coming out in winter not to book anything with a pool too cold and a waste of money. Having said that we had a lovel stay 4 weeks in total until we found a longer rental in Duncraig.

Girls now at school at Carine Primary and eldest going to Carine High in January, so in catchement area. House grown on us, 4 by 2, with new carpets and freshly painted. Got a gardener who comes out every month and lots of living space.

Perth is a lovely place, we like it so close to the beach, just a quick jump in car to get there. Got friends in Ellenbrook too, again a lovely place although a little further inland.

Can't wait for better weather, hope to feel even happier when it arrives. Didn't expect it to be so hard moving here, but a big up hill struggle, only just getting easier now our furniture and stuff has arrived. It's now starting to feel like home (a little). Got our phone, email and internet up and running so feel as though friends and family not so far away anymore, chatting as much as can which helps to keep me positive. Hubby and girls all settled in well, which helps to make me feel better but does definately feel as though somethingis missing in my life. Won't give up though, determinied to make it work.

Any help with areas to live etc, please PM me, I am positive even if this email reads quite negative. Good luck to all who still have to go through this move, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Be back soon.

Jayne x
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:16 pm
Living the dream

Glad your looking on the positive side Jayne.
We visited Oz in Oct last year & were very surprised at how cold it was
We didn't take any warm clothes with us either so had to go out & buy fleeces!!!! I even slept in mine one night I was that cold
We are hoping to make the move permanently very soon. We're stuck in this nighmare of house selling so not sure when that'll be
We're visiting Perth (kinrosss) in November as a validation trip, if we sell it will be one way if not we'll return until our house sells
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Jayne,
Hope you settle in well which I'm sure you will with such an excellent positive attitude like yours. Just wondering how you are finding it so cold. Looking at the world weather forcast it says that Perth is 15c during the day and 11c at night - that's better than the weather in good old Newcastle (UK) during the summer!!!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:12 pm
Btaz

btazgallacher is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Well about a month ago i was all down in the dumps , my kids went back home to live with ex and generally i felt abandoned.Arrived here in April with nothing much . Since then i have made lots of friends at my work and i have a social life in the city on Friday s after work and i have made friends. Life is GOOOOOOOOOD. And this is in the worst season so how good will it get when the balmy night and beach days come along.

I have moved a few times in my life and it is never easy especially with children. When i my parents brought me to the middle east when i was young i refused to communicate with anyone as i felt hurt that they pulled me away from my friends. Eventually i loved my life there and i still thank my parents for giving me such a good life . My son ( 18) will not come out until his girlfriend is old enough to come with him and my daughter (16)is coming back in October.

Its not easy and it takes some hard months but in the end it will be all worth it if you open up to opportunity and life and and this beautifull country.

If anyone needs a friend or any kind of contact just let me know as i am an open person and very sociable and having been there myself i am quite happy to help out if it can make a difference. I live in Beldon near Edgewater . I am 46 but young at heart and just get in touch if u want to go out in the city or Joondalup and will sort something or even if you want to go for coffee somewhere , no worries as they say .

Linda :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.