Settling in

Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settling in

Hi

this is a request for info from all you migrants recently settled in..

Can you help with some budgeting info for miscellaneous costs..

Its easy to get an idea of house prices, rentals, cars, schools etc.. but there could be a few 'hidden' costs that those of us about to make the jump have not budgeted for

e.g.

Getting mobile
- license, test, study material
- car registration

Getting connected
- mobile phone rental, local call charges, international call charges
- land line installation charges
- electricity / gas / water connection charges
- connecting to internet, (eg. BT broadband / freeserve dial-up)

Health
- registering with medicare / health centre / dentist, medical checks

Lcoal Council
- registering for electoral role / council tax

Tax
- getting TFN

TV License

Joining Library / local sports centre

any other license / registration / connectino fees ?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond with info
Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:48 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Settling in

Originally posted by FiFi
Hi

this is a request for info from all you migrants recently settled in..

Can you help with some budgeting info for miscellaneous costs..

Its easy to get an idea of house prices, rentals, cars, schools etc.. but there could be a few 'hidden' costs that those of us about to make the jump have not budgeted for

e.g.

Getting mobile
- license, test, study material
- car registration

Getting connected
- mobile phone rental, local call charges, international call charges
- land line installation charges
- electricity / gas / water connection charges
- connecting to internet, (eg. BT broadband / freeserve dial-up)

Health
- registering with medicare / health centre / dentist, medical checks

Lcoal Council
- registering for electoral role / council tax

Tax
- getting TFN

TV License

Joining Library / local sports centre

any other license / registration / connectino fees ?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond with info
You will find lots of info on mobile phone if you do search, we brought our own phone and I think the new phone number cost $25.

We use a phone card for international calls, We have probably only used about $10 for probably 6/7 hrs of calls.

There was no connection fee for gas/elec, The phone (telstra, I think our connection first bill was about $88 and second bill $57.40, that's for two months, and mainly just internet connection. Connection to the internet will vary upon who you use, we're now with dodo.

No costs for registering with medicare, etc, I think you only pay for treatment as you receive it.

No cost for getting TFN, No tv licence fee, Free to join the library

You have to pay stamp duty on items bought like car, mortgage, car tax also has stamp duty. Don't forget Council Tax, which is worked out as a percentage of the value of your home, look at the website of a local council in the areas you are thinking of living and it shows you how they work the sums out.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

we got ambulance cover - $95 for family (this is in Vic), otherwise you have to foot the bill for use of an ambulance.

rate of stamp duty and other things will vary from state to stae. Where are you headed?

Car rego - ours is about $520 a year. This is made up of about $150 rego and $330 compulsory 3rd traffic accident premium (which evetyone has to pay in addition to car ins.) (The other $30 is tax)

driving licence is about $25-30 for 3 year licence. Can't remember how much written test was

we pay $60 a month on Telstra adsl internet (500mb download)
Foxtel (=cable/Sky) is $50 month for standard channels + sports. Connection is approx 150
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:04 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
we got ambulance cover - $95 for family (this is in Vic), otherwise you have to foot the bill for use of an ambulance.

rate of stamp duty and other things will vary from state to stae. Where are you headed?

Car rego - ours is about $520 a year. This is made up of about $150 rego and $330 compulsory 3rd traffic accident premium (which evetyone has to pay in addition to car ins.) (The other $30 is tax)

driving licence is about $25-30 for 3 year licence. Can't remember how much written test was

we pay $60 a month on Telstra adsl internet (500mb download)
Foxtel (=cable/Sky) is $50 month for standard channels + sports. Connection is approx 150
Our 5yr licence in Perth cost $140 each, the test was free.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

just a point to note:

when looking at private health, bear in mind that when you do your annual tax return you will be assessed as a family when it comes to payment of the medicare levy. This means they will add your income and your spouses income together and then charge a levy of 1%.
If you have private health care you do not have to pay the levy. therefore think about the cost of your health care against the levy you might have to pay.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Our 5yr licence in Perth cost $140 each, the test was free.
hi there could you please tell me what channels on sky you get in perth ie is it more unless the same as uk many thanks allison delboys wife
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:39 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by delboy
hi there could you please tell me what channels on sky you get in perth ie is it more unless the same as uk many thanks allison delboys wife
I have no idea about 'sky' tv we didn't have it in UK either, I think its called foxtel here but I am sure someone who knows more will be able to inform you.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Satallite TV

Hi

thanks to everyone so far ...

Those with Sky TV / FOXTEL ... does UK receiver box work (i.e. is this worth brining) ... even for the free to view channels ?

or can the box be tunned / dish aligned to pick up the signal

is it worth keeping UK subscription ..

or have I really lost the place
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by delboy
hello
we get:
sky news
bbc news
cnn news
and a few other US news channels

National Geo
Discovery
History
ESPN
Fox SPorts 1 & 2
Hallmark

UK Gold (?) - all the old Eastenders, the Bill, Mrs Bouquet programme

Lifestyle (cooking progs, UK changing rooms, ground force)

Also cartoons - incl Disney, Nickleodeon

That's not a full list - I only tend to watch it for UK football on Fox and National Geo - so I've probably missed loads

check out www.foxtel.com.au

FiF- sorry, I dont know if your receiver box would work in Oz. Maybe there is a 'contacts' page on the foxtel website - you could try that.

HP